Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Starts?

Just calculating LPG, as I always start the car and wait until it changes over. To be honest the trip was a good as the weather was lovely and I just stayed to 65 as we were in no rush. Tyre pressures checked and no cruise control used, as I'm not a lover of it. So I'm hoping that the mileage covered will continue on my next journey.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for explanation carld. As I've said I'm waiting for the weather to improve to see what the car is capable of. ;) I'd be very happy if I could get to 25-26mpg !

I cannot see how your not getting more from the cars as standard, this weekend we went up to Norfolk again, a few days driving around within speed limits taking it easy and my average has been 27.8mpg

Not exactly that much difference....maybe its the CVT transmission that saps more power than my older three speed O/D coggy version? :eerrrmm:

I have never been sure, but I cannot see the point in making two transmissions for the same engine/trans layout, I had assumed they dropped the 4spd box on introduction of the Mk2.

It would be nice to have it confirmed either way though?

Car & DRiver tested the RX330 and said it has the "new 5 speed auto with lock-up torque converter" so it appears yes indeed the non hybrids have normal auto trans.....

So even more of a puzzle why the Mk2 seem to be getting worse consumption then the Mk1 :wacko:

As far I know it has the 5 speed autobox - based on the fact that when you switch it to "sport" mode, it shows the numbers on the dash, 5 is the highest gear ;)

As for the MPG, the highest mpg from the manufacturers info is 30. (it's real, I managed to get it on a long run from London).

The LPG consumption can be anything between 5-20% lower than on petrol, so you're talking 24mpg as a worst case. I can apparently get that, I am merely trying to improve it by a bit, to something like 25-26 mpg on a longer runs ;) Maybe I can actually get it, I just didn't have a chance to try the car on LPG, on a long run and ... in good weather conditions...

Apparently you have it all wrong......

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/89379-lpg-on-hybrids/?p=864737

:winky:

After searching around I agree it has a normal 5 speed auto box (although I wouldn't rely on the gear selector display to verify it, as many CVT show a "gear range" when manually selecting, its just an indication).

And yes I really have to try hard to keep the mpg in the 27-28 range after a run, usually it'll dribble down to around 25 after a bit around town.

On longer runs try pumping the tyres up to the cars "fully laden" rating or just another 4-5 psi, its an old trick for economy, keep the AC off and windows shut....inc sunroof.

When you get to your destination all hot and sweaty with a sore behind from the pummelling its taken through the tyres you'll wonder why you even bothered for the sake of a few quid on that trip :D

Spark plugs finally changed. Hats off for people who did that change without taking out the whole manifold. I was trying to help with the disassembling and assembling the parts back - but 99% of the time I was only holding the LED lamp :)

Despite all the care taken with disassembling and assembling parts back, something's not right ....

The car started fine after we changed the plugs (I wouldn't yet say whether the "cold start" is fixed or not) - but once it started, it was idling very high (about 2-2.1k rpm). Addidng the accelerator pedal would react as usual, but after it was released the rpms were coming back to 2k. Eventually, when the engine warmed up they dropped to the 1.4k rpm level - which is much higher than before, something between 600-700 rpm.

During the whole process of changing the plugs we had to dismantle the air intake and take off the manifold out - so we cleaned the throttle body, and all the parts all along, and replaced the air filter, which was very dirty.

After a bit of reading I think we either could create a small vacuum leak somewhere, or mess up with the IACV... I'm in the office now, so can't look under the bonnet, but can't even remember where this IACV was mounted - is it normally on the throttle body ?

OBD scanner was connected and did not see anything strange - fuel mix normal, air normal (so most likely no vacuum leaks?) etc. But the idle is just sitting on the very high level.

Is there any chance the ECU would need to adjust to the new filter and cleaned throttle body? We didn't disconnect the Battery so the ECU still have the old settings...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links