Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Starts?

yes. I take all installers were making comments based on "experience" ? ;)

Well after 5 years and 80,000 miles on LPG, is that enough "experience" for ya

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just it, none, none at all, mainly because I did my own research, before buying, and not listening to the Vectra owner in the pub, who's best mates, sister in laws, dad had a system fitted, on a shoestring budget, and found it went pearshaped on him after 6 months, I got the right system, literally paid a pittance for a two year warranty on it, had it serviced every year, and paid for the flashlube system to be put on it.

One thing that I find missing from the Prins report is the clear evidence of how many cars they have had reports on. Was it one RX300 that has been converted to LPG with their system? Was it 10? If you then take the number of LPG installers, these numbers could be much bigger. But then again ... never found a Lexus report showing how many VSR problems they had on engines without LPG conversion.

I am hoping (let's be clear on that :D), that spending top money on top LPG system will save me money on engine repairs...

In countries where Petrol cost arm and leg (e.g. my father could buy just under 300 litres of petrol for his monthly salary, whereas in the UK average would be probably ... well over 1000 litres?) the LPG is far more popular and ... even then the clear evidence that "LPG ruins engines" is very limited. And every garage would change the spark plugs :P

I have done 45.000 miles in my bmw in 2 years this July, and I get the gas system serviced each year by the guy who fitted my system and is a friend. The gas system is serviced not by how many miles you have covered, but how many hours it has run on. It costs me £25 each service and all that gets changed is the gas filter and he plugs the computer into the gas ecu, and checks I'm getting the optimum performance out of the LPG. Prior to buying my ex I spoke in length with him about LPG on a lexus, all I was told was make sure it is an Italian system and it has flash lube, which is getting fitted tomorrow with a service. He has fitted numerous LPG systems on lexus vehicles which have passed 240.000 miles.

As I said in an earlier post, my friend got a polish system fitted from a garage in South Wales in 1 day, on his Porsche cayenne, needless to say it was taken to my friend who had to rip it out and install a full tart ruin system, so all these nightmare stories I hear are sometimes because people pay buttons for a system that is not upto scratch.

Why Italian system? I don't know much about them, was always told that the prins and brc are among the best but come at quite high price... but happy to hear all views!

I browsed various forums and spoke to people who had LPG systems fitted, and I was advised that Italian systems are expensive because they are the best money can buy. I could have paid £862 for a polish system or £1700 for the tartrini which I got fitted to my bmw, plus the lexus has BRC fitted. The difference is manufacturing quality and components are superior on Italian systems hence the high cost. But that's my opinion, you pay for quality and re assurance

Well I'm off to London on Thursday to the natural history museum, so I will see how far I get one a full tank, today is the first time I ran it out and I got 232.5 miles and that is all stop start around town and very small journeys, so I'm very pleased.

Just got back home now from London, I've done 267 and I've I still have some left, but I guess that will go off tomorrow whilst I'm running round town. I will just keep running it until it swaps over and confirm the mileage in total.

Now then Carl, how did you go about congestion charges in London? I had a £65 congestion charge for mine, the missus had to go into London on a work meeting, now as far as I understand the Lexus 400h is exempt, the last Lexus RX300 had LPG and we'd received no charges on previous visits, so why this one? the muppet on the other end of the phone couldn't get it into her head that although it produces 192g/kg emission, whilst running on petrol engine, which she reckoned was too high to be exempt anyway, the zero emissions from when it's running on both electric motors, due to urban driving under 30mph, didn't let the Lexus qualify. There is a form to send in enabling me to contest the charge, which is whizzing it's way to said muppet.

Hi Nev, that's an outrage. To be honest my good wife went onto park at my house.com and found a guy who lived opposite the scouts headquarters on Cromwell road, which couldn't be any closer to where we were going, so we didn't have to go inside of the congestion charge area. Just filled the car up and I've covered 315 miles .

So are we saying that LPG is and the lexus hybrid isn't, or is LPG not classed as LCC free

No, just commenting on the fact I think I read that the 400h/450h was no longer LCC free........no idea at all about the LPG situation.

Carld-first of all - great result on LPG! Are you calculating real mpg or adding the miles on petrol as well (not that it would make much difference)?

I recently got 19mpg for very short trips to work over 2 weeks time, so was well chuffed. Then drove to Glasgow yesterday, and only managed to get 236 miles from full tank, so calculated mpg juuuust under 20 :(((. But saying that, I was doing steady 75mph and the wind was very bad, lots of gusts and rain, even the trip co outer was struggling to show 24mpg. On the way back, after we put LPG in ( 54.5l went in?) The weather improved a lot and we were getting 29mpg shown on trip computer... Can't wait for some nice and calm day to see how much I can really squeeze from it ;)

3 spark plugs changed. The back three need to be done at LPG installer as one from the pipes blocks access to the screws holding the manifold. Will do it over next week. May be me but think the car starts a tad better? Will wait with judgement once the back three plugs are done as well.

Here you go.........

From 1st July 2013 the 'Ultra Low Emission Discount' (ULED) will replace the Greener Vehicleicon1.png Discount (GVD – see below). Under the new scheme, all vehicles that produce ultra-low emissionsicon1.png will be rewarded, irrespective of the technology used.

To be eligible for the Ultra Low Emission Discount, all models that emit less than or equal to 75 gCO2/km and meet Euro 5 emissions standards will qualify for 100% discount (subject to a £10 annual registration fee).

Under the new scheme, all electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles are currently exempt – but 'conventional' hybrids are treated as petrol and diesel vehicles and only qualify for the ULED if their emissions are 75 g/km or less and are Euro 5.

Read more at http://www.nextgreencar.com/congestioncharge.php#wAutYHy89surhagl.99