Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi! Have just bought my first Lexus - RX400h (2008) - and am struggling with the rear parking camera. My previous cars have all had rear parking sensors and I miss the audible warning.

Is it possible to fit rear parking sensors to my vehicle? (And, indeed, front ones too even) and should I ask Lexus to do it or would any old garage do?

Many thanks!

David,

I had the same "dilemma" when I bought my GS 450h.

I decided to ask Lexus to do it (front and rear) as although they were more expensive, they were completely knowledgeable as to what was required, electronically and electrically speaking and at least I had someone to complain to should the installation turn out to be less than satisfactory.

In my case, all turned out most satisfactorily.

I hope this information is of help to you and that you enjoy your Lexus.

Regards

John

I had rear sensors fitted by Lexus when I had my Rx 400h and they worked very well. I don't remember how much they cost. The car already had front sensors fitted by the previous owner at the Lexus dealership when new. The problem with those was that they were not speed sensitive I.e did not turn off at a set speed so they were sensitive to anything at any speed, e.g cones whilst driving through roadworks. They had a switch to manually disable them but that meant remembering to enable them again. Maybe now they can retrofit to disable at a certain speed.

When I bought my latest 400h it had both rear and front sensors but fitted by the previous owner ....... These are not speed sensitive and therefore frighten the living daylights out of me if I get close to a grassy bank, cone or something else at speed ........... The sensors on my first 400h was fitted for me by Lexus and were speed sensitive ..... A much better solution and less stressful when driving at speed.

I would ask Lexus first if it is possible to fit speed sensitive ones ............

Cheers ............ Pete

Many thanks folks - Lexus seem to want over £600 for both front and rear, or over £300 for just rear - so I might just see if I can get to grips with the camera for the first couple of months before shelling out!

Cheers

D

Paddy

No, there is no visual display but there is the increase level and continuity of the noise. It is quite cacophonous and there is no mistaking increasing 'danger'.

There is a switch for the fronts in the saloon - spare slot with the patrol flap opening button and the reverse one is switched from the boot, only needed when towing a caravan.

It is very effective and coupled with the camera a good system. I believe the RX450 fitting is integrated with the camera screen, but I doubt that it would improve the warning available.

Just a little off topic car wise anyway. Has anyone fitted front sensors to a 2010 RX 450. This model is only fitted with corner sensors on the bumper, whilst better than nothing they are useless when parking to a wall for instance.

I have a 2013 RX 450h. It is fitted with audible sensors front, back and at front side. I find it brilliant in conjunction with the rear camera and the guiding lines for reversing. Lexus must have been listening to earlier owners and reacted.

Yes they obviously realised they made an error in just fitting front corner sensors on the 2010 model Rx 450. I will ask the dealership if they can retro fit the front ones.

[q6uote name=fulmar" post="863269" timestamp="1396685667]I have a 2013 RX 450h. It is fitted with audible sensors front, back and at front side. I find it brilliant in conjunction with the rear camera and the guiding lines for reversing. Lexus must have been listening to earlier owners and reacted.

Hi all,

Not sure if this helps...

I bought a set from eBay for a Merc ML that I had. They cost about £10 and colour coded silver out of the box. They were just for the rear

It took me about 50mins to fit and I am a total beginner with this kind of stuff. Anyway, they worked perfect and for £10 - a bargain too.

They even came with the drill bit for the holes in the bumper - that was very nerve wrenching, but it was pretty simple to do.

I going to do the same with the RX, it comes with the camera and I agree, it should have the audible sensors too.