Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi there, just wondering if anyone has a gs300 with lpg fitted so that I can find out if there were any gains to be had in the mpg department. i'm looking to buy one that already has the kit fitted but I read somewhere that it can harm the engine and yet some say its fine so i'm confused ?? the kit on this car has been fitted for about 7 years now. i'd love to own it but may struggle to convince my other half if the mpg figures are as stated for petrol in the autotrader, ie 24mpg average and 32 extra urban. i'm hoping that with the lpg fitted she may approve of the additional savings to be had. cheers and fingers crossed !

The kit on 'what car'. Is there a link missing. I've got a GS300 51reg with 132000 miles and the LPG was on when I bought it. It's a BiGas system and its a few years old but it gives about 230 miles for £32 worth of fuel and thats mainly round the doors. LPG up here is between 69 and 72 ppl. PS I dont have flash lube.

thanks for the reply, that's more or less what i'm spending at the moment on petrol for a ford puma ! do you ever need to spend much on petrol or is it just mainly on cold starts & idling ? also some say that they get better mpg round the doors on lpg than on a run when there isn't much difference which doesn't make sense to me. I'm liking the figures your quoting though, it makes it a tempting purchase. if I do go ahead with it i'll have to meet up with you to show you it as I live in Teeside so not too far away. Mike.

Hi Michael, if you search back on this topic you will see all the problems I suffered when I converted a 2002 GS300, quite simply it transformed it into the world's most unreliable and often undriveable car. Complete nightmare resulting in 2 engine rebuilds with flashlube. It seems some folk get away with it but I certainly did not.

Take note of tonyricha above before you take the plunge. After 3 cars bought with LPG fitted, I would say buy the best car you can find and fit your own brand new system to it ensuring a warranty and back up service from the installer. Depending on your mileage it'll pay for itself. You're welcome to come up and see mine, I'm in Washington 20 miles up the A19, and I'll do my best to shed as much light on the subject as I can. I'm available most of the time. I've kept a fuel record since buying the car and the LPG switches on after about 1 mile so little petrol is used. The petrol gauge doesn't read correctly so you need to monitor the petrol in the early days so as not to run out.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, I have a 1997 GS300 converted to run on LPG with no problems was converted in 2002 at 30,000 miles and now has 156,000 miles and still returns around town about 20/22 miles to 5 litres of LPG at 69.9p a litre, it has always been run with a flash lube kit and a part from a once a year trip to have the filters changed and plugged back into the computer have had no problems regarding the running of the car, and it is registered with the DVLA as a duel fuel vehicle, and do make sure that it has a LPG certificate with the car.

We set out Sunday at 7am and did a 340 mile round trip all on m/ways, from the North East, A1M/A1/A1M/ M1 averaged just over 70mph and 240miles on a tank off gas costing £31 to fill.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links