Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rusting

Hi there, as some of you will know I haven't had my is200 for long... but already I've noticed rust spots in two places.

The first is on the edge of the boot lid, and only today I noticed another one on the roof where the bodywork meets the rubber seal of the windscreen.

I showed my car to Lexus Bracknell and they said that because they appear to have been the result of chips it isn't something that can be done under warranty. I then called Lexus stockport and they told me to touch it up with the touch up stick :o I may be wrong, but wouldn't the rust just eat away underneath?

I've had the car a few weeks and I doubt rust could have formed as a result of my own neglect since its hardly rained and I give the car a very close going over when I clean it every week.

Any ideas?? From the past reports of rust there is clearly a problem with rust that Lexus aren't admitting... :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my IS200 for just under two weeks and have also found a rusting stone chip on the edge of the boot lid.

I've spoken with Lexus Dorset who immediately agreed to rectify it.

I have to say I was bit alarmed to seem some rust on a one year old, having come from a BM which never rusted anywhere :(

back to rust.. what is the anti corrosion warranty on the IS200?

I guess your not covered by stone chips... again goes back to the stone chip problem mentioned in earlier threads.

have a look thru ur anti perforation warranty leaflet etc as the body is meant to be galvanised - if ur dealer isnt willing to do anything then speak to the head office and bitch about it.

Thanks, I may have to call Lexus Gb... I bought the car from lexus stockport and they're around 200 miles away. The sales guy said if they had have noticed the rust they would have just touched it in with a bit of paint.

I agree with an earlier poster, I had a 7 year old BMW 3-series as my previous car and it didn't have one bit of rust even though almost every single panel on the car had a chip or scratch, some even exposing the underlying metal :o

I dont get rust on mine... and i have deep stone chips

you can see the galvanised paint. certainly makes you wonder.

Remeber the old Toyotas 15 years ago.. go through a puddle and then next day the wheel arches are falling off

:mad:

I'm glad someone brought this up...

I've had my Lexus just under a year, and although I bought it from the dealer its a V plate. Now I was polishing away (as I do every weekend...) this Sunday and noticed 2 things on the edge of my bonnet ( at the front on the lip).

1) Bubbling

2) Rust

Not impressed. Contacted the dealer at 9am sharp Monday.

Me "Morning. I have a problem. My Lexus is beginning to bubble and rust. Can you sort this out under warranty?"

Them "No. You have touch up paint right? Well, due to stone chips, its one that has gone deep into the body work and as YOU haven't done anything about it, its begun to rust. Paint it - it will be fine"

Me "Erm... NO I DON'T THINK SO."

Them "Sorry can't do anything about it"

Me "YES YOU CAN"

I think you get the jist.... Anyway, end result? Zip. Diddly squat. Zilch. Zippo. I've yet to contact Lexus GB though... I just hope I get a better response from them...:mad:

I agree with Admin... I think its IS specific since the LS400 we had before was perfect - not even a single stone chip on it! The only problem was a slight pitting of the alloys but then again, the alloys were never _ever_ cleaned!

A friend also has an older Mk2 LS400 which has stone chips but absolutely no rust.

I've looked at the warranty book - corrosion is only covered if its down to a defect in the materials used or a manufacturing defect. I hope Lexus GB can do something about it since it is obviously not normal (for any car in the same class), but in the meantime I can't see my baby in this state so I'm calling RAC/ChipsAway tomorrow :(

I am also having an ongoing argument with Lexus over a suppose chip on the edge of the boot lid. Does the chip look like a figure of eight? The car is only 5 1/2 months old and this defect has rusted so bad that it's scary, it's kept in a garage overnight and only exposed during the day. I have had the chip checked out by a bodyshop and they have said that it cannot possibly be a stone chip due to the location and depth of the chip.

The lexus also has a 12 year anti corosion warranty but you must look at the small print on that one!

:mad::mad::(

Hi all, just an idea, but if anyone has a direct e-mail address for Lexus GB then if you post it we can all send an e-mail each day. Poeple power is hard to beat and when they realise the number of complaints and the potential threat to there business they may take stock and help us out, we should also continually hasle them about the ease in which the car body work chips.

:cool:

I am also having an ongoing argument with Lexus over a suppose chip on the edge of the boot lid. Does the chip look like a figure of eight? The car is only 5 1/2 months old and this defect has rusted so bad that it's scary, it's kept in a garage overnight and only exposed during the day. I have had the chip checked out by a bodyshop and they have said that it cannot possibly be a stone chip due to the location and depth of the chip.

The lexus also has a 12 year anti corosion warranty but you must look at the small print on that one!

:mad::mad::(

The stone chip on the roof does look like a figure eight and is very deep. The surprising thing about that particular rust spot is not just the perculiar shape of the figure 8 but also the fact that the shape is perfectly well rounded - very uncharacteristic of ordinary stonechips which aren't usually so smooth.

As for the warranty: "

2. Surface rust and paintwork

The warranty offers 3 years of cover for surface rust and paint defects appearing on any of the painted body panels due to a fault in material or workmanship. There is no mileage restriction on this.

3. Corrision perforation

12 years of coverage is provided against bodywork performation (i.e. any holes through the bodywork from inside to outside) due to corrosion that is attributable to faults in material or workmanship. Again, there is no milage restiction."

I've used a wooden cocktail stick to 'rub' any orange tinge from the bottom of stonechips before using another cocktail stick to apply touch up ...

Of course the ideal solution would be if car companies didn't pander to the over represented environmental lobby and used proper paint like they used to instead of the crap water based stuff we're lumbered with now.

In the meantime then it's back to the cocktail sticks.

I just got off the phone from Lexus customer relations. The lady told me I have to see my local dealership and if I don't agree with their opinion I can ask to see the regional Lexus representative....

I told her that the is200 does have a problem with rust but she said 'I have to disagree with you there sir'. This is not very helpful !

If I don't get a result in a couple of weeks I will simply return the car and go with a BMW :mad:

I agree with Admin... I think its IS specific since the LS400 we had before was perfect - not even a single stone chip on it! The only problem was a slight pitting of the alloys but then again, the alloys were never _ever_ cleaned!

A friend also has an older Mk2 LS400 which has stone chips but absolutely no rust.

I've looked at the warranty book - corrosion is only covered if its down to a defect in the materials used or a manufacturing defect. I hope Lexus GB can do something about it since it is obviously not normal (for any car in the same class), but in the meantime I can't see my baby in this state so I'm calling RAC/ChipsAway tomorrow :(

But if it is a galvanised body is that not a defect seeing rust? I mean i have a small ding in the middle of my roof from kids chucking stones.. it was left untreated for 12 months.. and there still is no rust... now that is because of the galvanised body... if rust is appearing then to me that is a defect ???

Makes you wonder if there is a galvanised body on the IS.

[Edited on 26-4-2002 by Administrator]

OK folks - Thanks for the details on the warranty book and email address. I have just sent this... :mad:Sent: 11:47AM Friday 26th April 2002

To whom it may concern,

I am emailing you to obtain an opinion and guidance on how to take a matter forward. I purchased my IS200 last year from Lexus Leicester as an approved used vehicle. I wash my car on a weekly basis, and polish it at least every month, and since owning the car have recently purchased the front, rear and side skirts from my dealer.

Whilst polishing my car on Sunday, I noticed two things:

1) Rust appearing on the front edge of my bonnet

2) Bubbling on the front edge of my bonnet

Now, after raising this matter with my dealer, the response I received was this is due to stone chips that I hadn't touched up soon enough. Unfortunately, this isn't the kind of customer service I expect as I have owned numerous vehicles without this kind of an issue. I appreciate stone chips are one of those things that can't be helped - but bubbling?

I have read through the warranty booklet which states:

2. Surface rust and paintwork

The warranty offers 3 years of cover for surface rust and paint defects appearing on any of the painted body panels due to a fault in material or workmanship. There is no mileage restriction on this.

3. Corrosion perforation

12 years of coverage is provided against bodywork perforation (i.e. any holes through the bodywork from inside to outside) due to corrosion that is attributable to faults in material or workmanship. Again, there is no mileage restriction.

I am looking for some help here. This is NOT satisfactory, and without meaning to sound unreasonable or forceful, I would like to see something done.

If you would like more details, or would like to discuss this matter further then please don't hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Zaheer Ladak

European IT Compliance Programme

CapitalOne Bank (Europe)

Second Floor (B2-F1-08), Loxley House,

Station Street, Nottingham,

NOTTS. NG2 3YJ

Lets see what kind of a response I get out of them... I'll keep you all posted... :smug:

Me "Morning. I have a problem. My Lexus is beginning to bubble and rust. Can you sort this out under warranty?"

Them "No. You have touch up paint right? Well, due to stone chips, its one that has gone deep into the body work and as YOU haven't done anything about it, its begun to rust. Paint it - it will be fine"

Me "Erm... NO I DON'T THINK SO."

Them "Sorry can't do anything about it"

Me "YES YOU CAN"

another shining example of that wonderful ownership experience :mad:

I agree with an earlier poster, I had a 7 year old BMW 3-series as my previous car and it didn't have one bit of rust even though almost every single panel on the car had a chip or scratch, some even exposing the underlying metal

My '98 model 328 was only 3 years old, had several rust patches on the boot and the paint was peeling off the front around the headlights (and no it wasn't a dirt cheap, accident repaired car - it was just crap)

bombard customer.relations@tgb.lexus.co.uk with emails (Rachel Sax used to be one of the staff there)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links