Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 250 Brake Calipers

Davridge

I recently sent my IS 250 into my local Lexus dealership in Hedge End for replacement rear brake pads. During the course of the day the service department informed me that the vehicle needed new rear brake calipers as the ones on the vehicle had seized. The car is a 2007 model and has done 54,000 miles. The dealership informed me that it is a problem known by Lexus. I also have an RX 400H with 84,000 miles on the clock which recently went in for service and guess what? The rear calipers had seized and required replacing.

I would have gladly purchased any Lexus with 80,000 miles on the clock, however, it seems now that Lexus is no longer the quality vehicle it once was!

It is probably all down to the slide pins not being greased. Lexus don't seem to deem it part of the service...at least that's what it seems from what people on here say......so get them done by an independent garage or do them yourself ( if you are so inclined).

Take a look here...this is very informative

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/86430-front-brake-caliper-and-pins-removal/?hl=%2Bslide+%2Bpins

Hi Normski,

Thank you for your reply, however, I'm well aware of why the slide on the caliper seizes. What I can't come to grips with is why they seize in the first instance. It is a serious design fault that Lexus are fully aware of and yet they choose not to do anything about it and keep supplying the same unit which will fail again after another 50k miles or sooner. Lexus are not the same company I dealt with 20 odd years ago. Back then nothing like that failed. I had a GS300 which did over 220,000 miles and the only thing it ever needed other than the usual service items and brake pads was a Condenser for the AC Unit.

I agree. I have not had such an issue on any other car I have owned.

This brake caliper issue seems to be common across the Lexus range. I have replaced two rear calipers on my car in two years of ownership.

Front were replaced in 2012 by Lexus in bolton by previous owner @ now they r sticking again brakes r crap u can get recon 1s from eBay for £37 each dealers think he paid approx 85 each or could try to recon them urself

The whole point is is that there is a design fault with these calipers which Lexus choose to ignore. It obviously brings in money to the dealership and likewise Lexus. I wouldn't expect to replace the calipers on a Ford or Vauxhall at 50,000 miles!

So shouldn't they place them free if it's a manufacturer defect all the time iav been driving almost 25yrs never replaced calipers on cars this is gonna b my 1st car for calipers replaced

Totally agree, they should be replaced free of charge. I've never had to replace rear calipers on any car I've owned in the past 40 years and only had to replace the front ones on a Volkswager after 200,000 miles.

In the US, the IS was recalled because of the rear caliper problem. However, there was no recall in the UK.

Lexus have updated the caliper design and the replacement parts should be of the new, fixed design.

It is a poor design and an issue, a known one at that from Lexus, since the 90's so we are looking at a fault that's been around for 20 years or so so why no proper recall?

If you have a car that has a full service history but done to many miles to be inclusive of the replacement warranty then you are going to have to pay for a replacement at around £350 each.

The updated design that Mark has mentioned may explain the fact that for the 2007 model there are two parts to chose froml for the left rear caliper and two for the right - it has caught me out but the part number is stamped on the top of the caliper itself so its easy to see which one is on your car if you are prepared to remove the wheel..

I would say though that the revised caliper still uses the old pins from what I could see on the part I bought - the difference was in the shape of the caliper / carrier itself.

• 2 months later...

on my current lexus and on my previous lexus I have had to replace 2 calipers on each vehicle.

conclusion is that the caliper design on any lexus (apart from the isf) is abismall

On my is220d had to replace front ones aswell @ did contact lexus UK regarding this issue as why there was no recall there answer was that we r not obliged to do it @ I think if enough people contact them they might listen told them it's a common issure they wouldn't have it

• 1 month later...