Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are My Pads Ok?

petayV8

Got a high pitched squeel and a scrap when turning one way. if i brake the scraping goes. I nearly bought new pads until i looked and thought they are fine surely? please advise. thanks.

2014-04-18_10-42-55_597_zps862575ca.jpg

2014-04-18_10-43-19_85_zps4d52d97d.jpg

Difficult to say from the pictures, pads appear OK but the disc looks a bit poorly.

Chances are you have a seized caliper so the pads are not retracting fully from the disc and causing the noise.

I was thinking more the backing plate tbh. Calipers are new and wheels spin freely. I also touch them regularly to check there not hot. Looks to be a fair bit of meat left on the pads as you say. Hmm

Oh and yes rotor is very slightly warped from a past ceized caliper. So could be something to with it but its been that way for over a year and only noticed it now. Although only just starting having window open lol

It's a disc Pete, rotor pfffft ;) :lol:

Seriously tho, I've been having the exact same problem mate. Same as you only started noticing it because only just started opening the windows. Scraping when turning, even a slight turn. And sometimes when going straight. I thought the same as Steve, sticking calliper but the wheels spin freely, no excessive heat or any other caliper symptoms.

So today I took the wheels off and bent the backing plates back and forth a little and then away from the disc.

Noticeable difference! Hardly any scrape now. I'm gonna do it a bit more tomorrow and hopefully will eliminate it. Give it a go mate you never know :)

Lol. Thanks Chris. I have pushed the plate but not with to much force. Will be a bit more brutal then!

yThing is the squealing i have noticed since opening window like i said however the scraping i can hear faintly from inside more so! So the scraping is more recent. In fact im pretty sure it happened over night! my bet is squeel coming from slightly warped disc. Scrape back plate. Annoying thing is neither i hear when i jack up and spin wheels! Grrr

Oh sorry disc! Big into biking got mixed up lol

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links