Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worn Rear Shock, Rubber Sleeves

Just giving car a good wash last weekend I noticed that on both rear dampers the ridged rubber sleeves, (or whatever they are called) that can be seen through the springs are split to the extent that the steel rod is visible.

As I am due an MOT in June I want to know if this is a fail?

Can the sleeves be replaced alone or is it a new shock assy and any idea of price?

Both my rear gaiters have rotted to the point where they have all but fallen apart, I trimmed them neatly further up.

Both rods are clearly visible and the car sailed through the MoT, the gaiters are to protect the rods from stone/grit damaging the chromed surface to prevent corrosion.

I recently had the left hand damper replaced due to slight leaking (it was replaced at 60k also) but the right hand damper is still the original and perfect.

It's a long job to replace as the strut needs to be removed and spring/pan/strut dissassembled to enable the new gaiter bump stop to be replaced.

Your choice really

Mine have been like it since I bought the car and it's not an MOT fail point, I bought some cheap steering rack gaitors cut them to size,split them down the side and fitted them over the remains secured with nylon tie wraps and superglue.

Mine have been like it since I bought the car and it's not an MOT fail point, I bought some cheap steering rack gaitors cut them to size,split them down the side and fitted them over the remains secured with nylon tie wraps and superglue.

Aha funnily enough thats exactly what I plan to do as soon as summer pops along....if it pops along?

Good trick ! Like your thinking :-)

Jon

Glad to hear its not a problem or a MOT fail, I was shuddering at the thought of the cost of 2 new shockers at a Lexus dealer.

I like Steve's idea of butchering a steering rack gator and might give it a go. Anyone got any suggestions as to what size or where to get them?

Anyone got any suggestions as to what size or where to get them?

Thats what I'd like to know also, I had looked around and found a source of custom gaiters that LR off road entusiasts use and look very good but I have not measured (or been able to yet) the Lexus top mount fitting diameter.

Oh yes, and they come in brilliant yellow also :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Are these type of gaitors any use? let me know if they are I have some old ones you can have, in my garage, plus you can get a multitude of colours if you want new ones, ball park price about £25.00.

You can even get Black,

IMG_0736.jpg

Sorry guys only just come back to this topic, I think the ones I bought were for some MG/Rover steering rack from eBay for around a tenner.

Nothing special just plain black, the narrow end over the piston rod and the wide end interleaved with what was left of the original.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links