Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have to say I am starting to lose a little love for Lexus. I am huge fan as my bank manager will confirm :whistling: having had LS 430, GS 430, RX 350, RX 450 and another RX 450. On the face of it the NX should suit me perfectly but......................the engines on paper look disappointing... The hybrid - too slow. The 200t better but still not that quick and much thirstier than similar diesels from BMW/Audi/Merc etc.

Saving grace? Exclusivity. But come on Lexus give us real world power and economy!! Imagine NX with engine from Audi SQ5!

the 200t is petrol and so its unfair to compare with rattling diesels. also the nx200t hits 60 in 7s. thats rather quickand infact quicker than the rx450h. an ideal engine would be a 300t with 330hp

No doubt the RX will get the new system, it is due out shortly after the Prius and is in need of a compete chassis/drivetrain overhaul as it has essentially been the same for 12 years now.

Interestingly hybrid sales are only around 10-15% of all RX sales in the US. The RX350 is very popular.

I really hope the new system will be a Plug-In Hybrid, would do wonders for the RX to be able to get 30 odd miles on electric alone for the around town shopping trips, and leave the Hybrid/Petrol system for the longer jaunts.

After test driving the Outlander PHEV it really has to be the way to go.

No doubt the RX will get the new system, it is due out shortly after the Prius and is in need of a compete chassis/drivetrain overhaul as it has essentially been the same for 12 years now.

Interestingly hybrid sales are only around 10-15% of all RX sales in the US. The RX350 is very popular.

I really hope the new system will be a Plug-In Hybrid, would do wonders for the RX to be able to get 30 odd miles on electric alone for the around town shopping trips, and leave the Hybrid/Petrol system for the longer jaunts.

After test driving the Outlander PHEV it really has to be the way to go.

Not going to happen. Not going to happen. This is because Lexus are not a fan of plug in hybrids. Also id rather buy petrol due to the 45p/mile scheme than pay full wack for electricity. An RX300t would be great or maybe an RX450h with GS450h power

What 45p per mile scheme?

Ah yes full wack for electricity? Ever heard of economy 7/night tariff?

Way cheaper to run than either diesel or petrol, and at least you will get around 30 miles rather than the 1.5 miles from the Hybrid system.

If Lexus stick with pure Hybrid then they will be the ones at the rear of the line, I cannot see them refusing to be innovative in the EV stakes after all the being first with HYbrid for so long.......Toyota have already released a Plug-In Prius, so I am pretty sure Lexus will follow, only time will tell.

If this is reference to the 45p per mile tax relief for using personal vehicles for company business then that still applied to a plug-in hybrid or even a full electric vehicle.

Moving to economy 7 just to charge up a single vehicle may not be worthwhile, that would depend on your household usage but certainly something to consider.

At this stage it seems the plug-in Prius is purely there to allow Toyota to do a longterm study on the use of Lithium Ion batteries and higher powered motors. Up until this point they haven't been convinced about the reliability and safety. Also the cost is a major issue where even their standard hybrid technology was putting them at a disadvantage to conventional vehicles from other manufacturers.

Lexus cannot launch a plug-in model until Toyota have a drivetrain they can use - so at this point it could only happen in the CT. It would make sense that the next models could be the IS and NX as Toyota use that drivetrain in the Camry and others but the only rumours at the moment seem to be for a revised system in the next gen Prius that would offer more range than the current one.

Not interested in the company car stuff..........if you use a car, pay for it! :whistling:

Economy seven we are already on and have been for the past 30 odd years (although I think its just called low rate now), its paid dividends for us as we are high usage and it cuts our bills dramatically, so would make perfect sense for us and a Plug-In.

I am sure they have already tested out the systems before ever putting production models in the market, its not in Toyota's DNA to fail customers.

We had a small fleet of electric focus test vehicles running 8 years before anywhere near market release, I cannot see Toyota doing it different. The biggest difference between the batt tech is the need for closer control over cell temperatures, overcome by plumbing the system into the heater/AC circuits.

Its not a big leap, but one they will have to make eventually as even the HFC will be held up by virtually a complete lack of infrastucture support in the UK.

High mileage business users will not be interested in Plug-Ins for sure, but for the private buyer whose main journeys are local the 30-40 miles all EV range will be significant.

Not interested in the company car stuff..........if you use a car, pay for it! :whistling:

Economy seven we are already on and have been for the past 30 odd years (although I think its just called low rate now), its paid dividends for us as we are high usage and it cuts our bills dramatically, so would make perfect sense for us and a Plug-In.

I am sure they have already tested out the systems before ever putting production models in the market, its not in Toyota's DNA to fail customers.

We had a small fleet of electric focus test vehicles running 8 years before anywhere near market release, I cannot see Toyota doing it different. The biggest difference between the batt tech is the need for closer control over cell temperatures, overcome by plumbing the system into the heater/AC circuits.

Its not a big leap, but one they will have to make eventually as even the HFC will be held up by virtually a complete lack of infrastucture support in the UK.

High mileage business users will not be interested in Plug-Ins for sure, but for the private buyer whose main journeys are local the 30-40 miles all EV range will be significant.

Its still a PITA to charge though isnt it? How many miles will a typical plug in car do before charge runs out?

Its still a PITA to charge though isnt it? How many miles will a typical plug in car do before charge runs out?

Your joking right? PITA just to plug in the lead? How long do you tak just polishing your car each month, or standing at the petrol pump holding the trigger?

10 or 15 seconds to plug in the car when you get home is not exactly a PITA if your getting roughly the equivelent of 400mpg by using EV alone, and almost all plug-in hybrids will give you about 30 miles on EV.....plenty for most local trips, and around the average for a commute to work.

And of course the charge still gets topped up all the time as your driving just as it does with a non plug-in hybrid.......but in the moring when you un-plug and get in the car (which has been automatically warmed for you using the plug-in technology) you get 30 miles of 400mpg motoring before you even need the petrol!

Thats the kind of PITA I can happily put up with.

Your joking right? PITA just to plug in the lead? How long do you tak just polishing your car each month, or standing at the petrol pump holding the trigger?

10 or 15 seconds to plug in the car when you get home is not exactly a PITA if your getting roughly the equivelent of 400mpg by using EV alone, and almost all plug-in hybrids will give you about 30 miles on EV.....plenty for most local trips, and around the average for a commute to work.

And of course the charge still gets topped up all the time as your driving just as it does with a non plug-in hybrid.......but in the moring when you un-plug and get in the car (which has been automatically warmed for you using the plug-in technology) you get 30 miles of 400mpg motoring before you even need the petrol!

Thats the kind of PITA I can happily put up with.

But what happens if you dont have a garage? Where do you put the plug? Outside? In the rain? or snow?

Besides, who polishes their car every month? Ive got a decent sealant on mine, lasts nearly 6 months. I only fill up once a week too so not that long really. Its just another hassle to live with, plugging day in and day out and for someone like me who barely has 10 minutes for lunch, another hassle is not worth it. I can see how it'd be ideal for pensioners though and for people who do maybe 3k miles a year.

If you don't have garage (not that you need one) or are too lazy to take 15 seconds at the end of a 30 minute journey to plug it in on the drive then do not buy one, but just because it doesn't suit some people don't right it off as bad tech!

As I said before for high mileage business users its not so good, but then they get all the tax perks anyway, and those that moan that it costs them money to run a car for business, should not be in business :D

If you don't have garage (not that you need one) or are too lazy to take 15 seconds at the end of a 30 minute journey to plug it in on the drive then do not buy one, but just because it doesn't suit some people don't right it off as bad tech!

As I said before for high mileage business users its not so good, but then they get all the tax perks anyway, and those that moan that it costs them money to run a car for business, should not be in business :D

I never said it was bad tech. It has certain flaws which would be annoying for me. I wouldn't consider myself high mileage, only about 10k a year but its just not what I would want in a car. Gasoline is the best way and the only way for me! The only reason I got the RX450h is because the RX350 isn't available in the UK. It was the car which I was drawn to, not the hybrid system if that makes sense

Makes sense if you like a car, buy it.....of course. The only flaw it appears it has for you is the need (if you want to) to plug it in, of course you can just use it as a normal hybrid like the 450h but of course it'll have the advantage of having a much bigger Battery range. And if you EVER did want to use it for a short journey you would get the 400mpg.

Don't forget though it'll take a fraction of the time to plug it in than it does to sit here and type a few lines........time management, take a longer lunch tomorrow :D

Makes sense if you like a car, buy it.....of course. The only flaw it appears it has for you is the need (if you want to) to plug it in, of course you can just use it as a normal hybrid like the 450h but of course it'll have the advantage of having a much bigger battery range. And if you EVER did want to use it for a short journey you would get the 400mpg.

Don't forget though it'll take a fraction of the time to plug it in than it does to sit here and type a few lines........time management, take a longer lunch tomorrow :D

half day today lol. Normally i post at about 2 in the morning haha. The other flaw is that its damn expensive though! An RX450h F Sport plug in would be like £75k lol

Nah the 450 sport wouldbe more like 57K....not so bad at all eh? :whistling:

Same tech as the plug-in Prius over the pure Hybrid Prius so only aprrox another 5-6K on top of the 52K it costs now.

Go on........while you've nothing to do put an order in :driving:

Thats true, I forgot about the front mounted motor it would need to make it 4x4 in EV mode.........but then again the RX is only 4x2 when the batteries are depleted anyway, so maybe they could get away with a rear wheel drive when in full EV mode and then the petrol cutting in when true 4x4 capability is needed, probably only on rapid accel and in extreme winter conditions. Either way it certainly wouldn't put upwards of a 45% incress on vehicle cost.

I must admit I was very struck by the capabilities of the Outlander PHEV we drove for a while, shame it has not got the interior luxury of a Lexus (cannot even be specc'ed with a light interior trim!), it drove brilliantly, was very refined and had surprising get up and go from standstill, a legacy of virtually all EV vehicles as they give max torque from the motors from 0 revs, unfortunately the overall performance was nothing like the RX but then its a 2 litre driven by electric motors rather than a 3.5L supplemented by electric motors, but it did after a 180 miles drive come back with 120mpg showing on the computer!

Anhoo its all a moot point until something happens, either Plug-in, HFC or (yawn) Hybrid :lol:

Thats true, I forgot about the front mounted motor it would need to make it 4x4 in EV mode.........but then again the RX is only 4x2 when the batteries are depleted anyway, so maybe they could get away with a rear wheel drive when in full EV mode and then the petrol cutting in when true 4x4 capability is needed, probably only on rapid accel and in extreme winter conditions. Either way it certainly wouldn't put upwards of a 45% incress on vehicle cost.

I must admit I was very struck by the capabilities of the Outlander PHEV we drove for a while, shame it has not got the interior luxury of a Lexus (cannot even be specc'ed with a light interior trim!), it drove brilliantly, was very refined and had surprising get up and go from standstill, a legacy of virtually all EV vehicles as they give max torque from the motors from 0 revs, unfortunately the overall performance was nothing like the RX but then its a 2 litre driven by electric motors rather than a 3.5L supplemented by electric motors, but it did after a 180 miles drive come back with 120mpg showing on the computer!

Anhoo its all a moot point until something happens, either Plug-in, HFC or (yawn) Hybrid :lol:

I guess it also depends on how long you're going to keep the vehicle. If its 3 years like most, I probably wouldn't go for it simply because id have a hard time getting the extra £10k back. Also, I wonder if the residuals would be good seen as though its relatively new tech?

But the point is for Lexus/Toyota its not new tech, not even the plug-in bit, the system is substantially the same as normal hybrid, I think they missed the rise of the wave ignoring the plug-in potential, but then again Lexus has never been one to be mainstream, witness the number of moans that they have never produced a diesel for the RX, even though the US is its largest market even the US is now buying diesel.

When you look at the number of manufacturers that are producing plug-ins now I think the future for pure Hybrids will be seen as rocky being old tech.

But then again I have just bought an Audi Hybrid so I may be on the slippery slide.....but its sure fun to drive, theres more to life than residuals! :driving:

But the point is for Lexus/Toyota its not new tech, not even the plug-in bit, the system is substantially the same as normal hybrid, I think they missed the rise of the wave ignoring the plug-in potential, but then again Lexus has never been one to be mainstream, witness the number of moans that they have never produced a diesel for the RX, even though the US is its largest market even the US is now buying diesel.

When you look at the number of manufacturers that are producing plug-ins now I think the future for pure Hybrids will be seen as rocky being old tech.

But then again I have just bought an Audi Hybrid so I may be on the slippery slide.....but its sure fun to drive, theres more to life than residuals! :driving:

Congrats on the Audi, not my cup of tea though, not because they are bad cars, but because all my relatives have an Audi so I prefer to be different! :D. Sometimes, I think Lexus dont release it themselves as they dont want their reliability to go down.

Funnily enough we actually went in to test drive and order (possibly) the Q3 as a replacement for our 2010 ML (to high for the 710 to get in and out now) and as we approached the dealers front door there sat a lovely big black shiney thing with super light grey leather interior and emblazoned along the flanks the word "HYBRID" in two foot high vinyl letters........we had actually been looking around at EV and Hybrids but none really took our fancy as a package and I didn't even know Audi had one, the dealer said the Q3 had to be collected from the compound and would we like a drive in the A6 while we waited.

Hmmmm.......drives like a dream, smooth, silent and very comfy......reminds me of my Jags back in the 80-90s......anyhoo we test drove the Q3 after, and ordered the A6 :lol: .........well it was mainly the 710s choice and who argues with them? Especially as she got her card out there and then and paid! :yahoo:

Its quick, quiet and actually the best bit is cruising through ASDA car park scaring the poop out of the Polish car wash teams as you slip along silently behind them :D

this has all got a bit :offtopic: given this is an NX thread however the RX, and the NX, are actually front wheel drive vehicles with a second electric motor to make them 4 wheel drive. Also it isn't correct to state it is only 2 wheel drive when the batteries are depleted, the petrol engine would be running and its power is split between providing mechanical power to the wheels and also turning the generator which provides power to the electric motors - the batteries don't have to be involved in the system at this stage for full 4 wheel drive operation.

OK.......well its a discussion, having discussed that :offtopic::msn-cry: *

I was under the impression from the literature that the motor driven genny cannot provide enough power to drive the rear wheels it needs to use the batteries as an accumulator, but if thats the case even better. Just needs the genny to be a motor also, just like my A6 so no problems there, anyway I am sure Toyota/Lexus have it all on the shelf somewhere just waiting for the market slot.

* I think the NX would work like this also, just covering myself there :winky:

Hello I have a Isf and my wife a has a mini countryman. We almost put a deposit today on a nx f sport.

But a few questions to those who have a few seen the nx.

How much space is there in the back seats,rav4 space or more. I have 2 children in child seats,but sometimes need I third person in the back. Is there space?

Also what colour? Ultra Blue/black. Matador red mica/black. Or. Nebula grey/ red interior. Cannot decide.

This is speculation as I haven't seen an NX in person but the floorpan and chassis is based on the latest Rav4 so I would expect the interior space to be about the same. I think you would struggle with two car seats and a third person in an RX so I cannot see it being any better in an NX - the problem is the child seats should be centred on the two main seats which doesn't leave much room on the raised middle seat.

I do like Ultra blue, but it is very blue and I'm not sure it would suit a large high sided vehicle - it looks good on the IS and RC though. The problem is there aren't many NXs in the country at the moment so it isn't possible to even see the options available. I don't like red, either as an exterior or interior colour, so I best not comment on the other two options you gave. :)

From watching the American reviews several state that the trunk is smaller than the Rav4 and less rear leg room too. They don't specify by how much though.

Check out Youtube as there are plenty of reviews on there now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links