Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Launched in Beijing.

I want one. Based on being easier to get in and out, higher off the ground. I have started to convince myself and by the time it lands in the UK I will have convinced my dear wife as well.

Love the size and the interior, the exterior........particulary the nose I will like when they finish it :lol:

And I love my Sexy Lexy and am in the market for a replacement of Q3/5, X3, XC60 proportions, but that severe grill? Not for me :wacko:

Love the size and the interior, the exterior........particulary the nose I will like when they finish it :lol:

And I love my Sexy Lexy and am in the market for a replacement of Q3/5, X3, XC60 proportions, but that severe grill? Not for me :wacko:

Looks awesome but it has less power than the IS300h!! Its going to be tardy- 194hp? thats a joke. 0-60 times will be somewhere near the 9-10s mark.The NX200t F Sport is promising though with 238hp. I reckon itll be priced around £43k for a 200t F Sport with the toys

But I can get a pound of oranges for the same price as a pound of apples, the oranges are much juicier but have to be peeled, the apples taste different and are crisp but I can eat the peel as well............hmmm which to choose? :lol:

Compared to the direct competition the NX is not at all tardy...more HP than either the X3 2L or the Q3/Q5 2L for the same sort of price, I expect the 0-60 will be similar to both at around 8-8.5 secs.

But I can get a pound of oranges for the same price as a pound of apples, the oranges are much juicier but have to be peeled, the apples taste different and are crisp but I can eat the peel as well............hmmm which to choose? :lol:

Compared to the direct competition the NX is not at all tardy...more HP than either the X3 2L or the Q3/Q5 2L for the same sort of price, I expect the 0-60 will be similar to both at around 8-8.5 secs.

The NX200t wont be tardy. I think itll be rather quick.

The NX300h however, WILL be tardy. Theres a significant drop in power, nearly 30hp from the IS300h. Then you have the batteries to take into consideration so itll be heavier than the 200t. On top of that, the NX is likely to be heavier than the IS300h. If the IS300h takes 8.4 seconds on paper, there is no chance the NX300h will be between 8-8.5s with the combined effects of a 30hp loss + heavier vehicle.

Lexus, come on, you need to get back in the game with your engines! the hybrid in the GS450h is phenomenal! 340hp! RX450h, 299hp! and now its churning out a 300h NX with 194hp. Yes that is 4hp less than the first gen RX300! That car had a time of 9.2 seconds btw.

I really do not get all this concern about bhp etc etc, it's a luxury lexus which 99% of the time gets driven sedately or am I the only one??. The next thing will be is comments about "it's not going to be very good off road"? Being on the pavement is the nearest thing most 4x4's do!!!

• Like 1

I don't see the point of these vehicles. The Beemer x3, x5 and x6, Audi Q5, Q7, and now Lexus are entering the "I don't know if I'm a 4x4 or saloon car market"

It's like car manufacturers invented a gap in the market that wasn't there.

What is the advantage of a car that rides as high as a 4x4 yet isn't a 4x4?

all it's gonna do is ensure it'll kill that kid at 30mph whereas if hit by a saloon car the kid would go up on the bonnet and fall off (this happened to me when I was 11) if one of these cross breed cars had hit me it would've just smashed my skull to pieces!

So please somebody explain to me how this car is advantageous over the new IS or GS or any other family sized saloon car.

Or if you want a 4x4 buy a landy or range rover.

Just my opinion guys :)

I don't see the point of these vehicles. The Beemer x3, x5 and x6, Audi Q5, Q7, and now Lexus are entering the "I don't know if I'm a 4x4 or saloon car market"

all it's gonna do is ensure it'll kill that kid at 30mph whereas if hit by a saloon car the kid would go up on the bonnet and fall off (this happened to me when I was 11) if one of these cross breed cars had hit me it would've just smashed my skull to pieces!

So please somebody explain to me how this car is advantageous over the new IS or GS or any other family sized saloon car.

Hi Chris

I can answer your question why, in one word, for me anyway, age.

When you get older getting in and out of a car, I can assure you, is a big issue. Not bhp, not off road just getting and in and out. It comes to everyone eventually believe me. I have had an IS200, 3 x IS250, all great cars and my IS300h is amazing, but getting in and out becomes a problem to us all.

• Like 1

I really do not get all this concern about bhp etc etc, it's a luxury lexus which 99% of the time gets driven sedately or am I the only one??. The next thing will be is comments about "it's not going to be very good off road"? Being on the pavement is the nearest thing most 4x4's do!!!

This is how the typical buyer looks at cars. Compares the stats on paper and will get left disappoint by the figures, especially if the fuel economy is less than 60mpg. Now obviously if the fuel economy is 60mpg or higher, itll be a great compromise. Besides, they are offering an F Sport trim on the 300h, all show no go? really?

Also, your comment on being a luxury Lexus holds true..... on the luxury models! Definitely not on the F Sport which is supposed to appeal to younger folk.

This is how the typical buyer looks at cars. Compares the stats on paper and will get left disappoint by the figures, especially if the fuel economy is less than 60mpg. Now obviously if the fuel economy is 60mpg or higher, itll be a great compromise. Besides, they are offering an F Sport trim on the 300h, all show no go? really?

Also, your comment on being a luxury Lexus holds true..... on the luxury models! Definitely not on the F Sport which is supposed to appeal to younger folk.

Do typical lexus buyers look at performance or comfort? Does the F Sport appeal to younger folk, how many F sport drivers pay for their own car rather than a company car, not many I suggest. 60mpg is an unrealistic real world figure. As this site has been quiet lately I am trying to stir up some comments.

It's also about the driving position offering a higher up view of the road. My wife has a rav4 and says she feels like she sees traffic better and to be honest although I prefer my own car it is good for that as I would think most cars in that 4x 4 bracket are.

The NX300h however, WILL be tardy. Theres a significant drop in power, nearly 30hp from the IS300h. Then you have the batteries to take into consideration so itll be heavier than the 200t. On top of that, the NX is likely to be heavier than the IS300h. If the IS300h takes 8.4 seconds on paper, there is no chance the NX300h will be between 8-8.5s with the combined effects of a 30hp loss + heavier vehicle.

Lexus, come on, you need to get back in the game with your engines! the hybrid in the GS450h is phenomenal! 340hp! RX450h, 299hp! and now its churning out a 300h NX with 194hp. Yes that is 4hp less than the first gen RX300! That car had a time of 9.2 seconds btw.

looks like Lexus are trying to meet a certain CO2 figure and have detuned the power train. I was hoping for more power over the IS300h, especially on the 4WD version which has an additional electric motor. If they are going after the entry RR Evoque it only has to beat 10.6 sec 0-60 and 129 CO2 which could explain the low power.

currently there is no guarantee that the 2.0t will even be offered here in the UK.

Hi Chris

I can answer your question why, in one word, for me anyway, age.

When you get older getting in and out of a car, I can assure you, is a big issue. Not bhp, not off road just getting and in and out. It comes to everyone eventually believe me. I have had an IS200, 3 x IS250, all great cars and my IS300h is amazing, but getting in and out becomes a problem to us all.

Exactly that, I had to sell my lovely CLS as my wifes illness affects her mobility, a 4x4/crossover is about the only vehicle (apart from large 7 seat MPVs) that give the ease of ingress/egress, that is our priority nowadays....along with seat and ride comfort.

• Like 1

looks like Lexus are trying to meet a certain CO2 figure and have detuned the power train. I was hoping for more power over the IS300h, especially on the 4WD version which has an additional electric motor. If they are going after the entry RR Evoque it only has to beat 10.6 sec 0-60 and 129 CO2 which could explain the low power.

currently there is no guarantee that the 2.0t will even be offered here in the UK.

I think its safe to assume the 200t will be available in the UK.

Furthermore, 10.6 seconds is the base model with 150hp. The NX300h will be compared to the 190hp version which has 9.5 second time but feels much quicker because of the low down torque. The 300h is GOING to feel slow, fact. Damn, even the IS300h feels a touch slower than the IS250 which has less power.

The only engine to go for IMO is the 200t, no two ways about it.

Furthermore, 10.6 seconds is the base model with 150hp. The NX300h will be compared to the 190hp version which has 9.5 second time but feels much quicker because of the low down torque. The 300h is GOING to feel slow, fact. Damn, even the IS300h feels a touch slower than the IS250 which has less power.

The NX300h will compete and beat the 150bhp model in terms of CO2.

I agree it will feel a little under powered, they should be calling it the NX250h. If performance is a priority then the 200t would be the one to look at but it won't have the smoothness of the hybrid platform.

The NX300h will compete and beat the 150bhp model in terms of CO2.

I agree it will feel a little under powered, they should be calling it the NX250h. If performance is a priority then the 200t would be the one to look at but it won't have the smoothness of the hybrid platform.

Its taken a while for the 200t to come out so im guessing itll be pretty smooth compared to the competition. Otherwise itd ruin Lexus' reputation for great NVH. Is there any news on what transmission the 200t is paired to?

It's meant to be a 6 speed auto but I don't know if it is an existing box that has been reworked or a new one. I'm sure the engine will be ok, it's the transmission that will not be as smooth as the CVT. The non turbo is going to get a CVT.

It may be that the sub 200 bhp power figure for the NX300h is for the US vehicle. The 300h drivetrain comes from the ES250h where that only has around 200 bhp in the US but it was given a boost in the IS and GS 300h for non-american markets so maybe it will have more power in the UK too. Although having two engines choices at almost the same power doesn't really make sense.

It's meant to be a 6 speed auto but I don't know if it is an existing box that has been reworked or a new one. I'm sure the engine will be ok, it's the transmission that will not be as smooth as the CVT. The non turbo is going to get a CVT.

It may be that the sub 200 bhp power figure for the NX300h is for the US vehicle. The 300h drivetrain comes from the ES250h where that only has around 200 bhp in the US but it was given a boost in the IS and GS 300h for non-american markets so maybe it will have more power in the UK too. Although having two engines choices at almost the same power doesn't really make sense.

I think 194hp is everywhere. I dont think the US will be getting the 300h as petrol is pretty cheap there anyway and the 200t will have relatively good economy to the 6.0 litre trucks they drive.

I think the 6 speed will be the one from the IS then. Its a smooth box to be honest.

I've found the US press release. Looks like they will get the turbo and the hybrid.

http://www.lexus.com/concept/NX/_pdf/NX-Reveal-Beijing.pdf

If the 200t uses a reworked existing transmission it will likely be from the ES/Camry. The existing IS unit won't fit as this is for a rear wheel drive configuration, the NX will be FWD / AWD (FWD biased).

I too am quite interested in it. Despite getting my IS300h delivered in a month - guess it'll be a bit of a wait!

I like the higher driving position, more comfortable ride, better chance of making progress in dubious weather (not just snow) and sure it won't be a great off roader but I enjoy mountain biking and climbing and some level of off road capability can make a big difference.

My choice of car this time came down to an Evoque SD4 and the IS300h..... wildly different cars and seen as it's a company car, wildly different tax bills each month too. Had the NX come out a few months back, i'd probably have had one of those, but as they aren't going to arrive with customers until September time, it didn't suit me anyway.

Chief engineer says that the 200t has a surprisingly smooth engine. Its also coming with a synthetic engine noise. Dont mind that as long as it sounds good, heck the BMW M5 does it LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Intertesting comment, Chris. Lexus entering a car into a gap that doesn't exist? Funnily enough, that segment of the market is growing quicker than any other area at the moment and has seen a 1000% increase in the last 3 years alone.

Advantages over IS / GS = more space, more practical, not too big to be intimidating or hard to park, efficient engines, low running costs Vs rivals... the list goes on.

The F-Sport 200t will be roughly £37-38k in standard form. If you want it with the full nav system, metallic paint etc - you might touch £40k. 0-60 will be in the low 7's,

0-60 for the 300h will be low 9's.

Hope this helps - the car will surely be a great seller for Lexus - which will help them appeal to a band of customers they previously couldn't. Also offers Rav4 customers wanting to make the step up into the Premium segment a genuine option that keeps them with the Toyota/Lexus brand.

for those that haven't seen, pricing has been announced for the 300h variant. Scroll down to the bottom of the following page:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/nx/beijing-teaser/index.tmex#/

starts off around the same price as the IS300h but gets more expensive with the higher trim levels and the additional hybrid motor for 4 wheel drive.

Intertesting comment, Chris. Lexus entering a car into a gap that doesn't exist? Funnily enough, that segment of the market is growing quicker than any other area at the moment and has seen a 1000% increase in the last 3 years alone.

Advantages over IS / GS = more space, more practical, not too big to be intimidating or hard to park, efficient engines, low running costs Vs rivals... the list goes on.

The F-Sport 200t will be roughly £37-38k in standard form. If you want it with the full nav system, metallic paint etc - you might touch £40k. 0-60 will be in the low 7's,

0-60 for the 300h will be low 9's.

Hope this helps - the car will surely be a great seller for Lexus - which will help them appeal to a band of customers they previously couldn't. Also offers Rav4 customers wanting to make the step up into the Premium segment a genuine option that keeps them with the Toyota/Lexus brand.

The 200t will be available in March 2015 in ONLY the F Sport variant. Im expecting pricing to be close to £40k as its the performance model in the lineup.

As for performance figures - i reckon 7.3s for the 200t and 9.3s for the 300h.