Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have watched loads of reviews now, but they quickly pass over the rear seats. I also like the blue in the car but unsure how it will look in a bigger body.

I've ordered a celestial black NX F-Sport - from the videos, on the F-Sport variant anyway, its suits the black - a sort of menacing look. The white also looks stunning, and given that i've opted for the pan roof - I should've gone for that - but I've had a white car with a black pan roof before (Merc C Class) - now everyone has one ...... The silver also looks interestin - someone commented that he paint effect really stands out at night.

So, to me .. really its either Black, White or Silver. Boring eh ? lol

Can someone more educated on this matter than I, explain to me how the total BHP of the 300H is worked out ?

I stole this from another website

154 hp, 152 lb-ft with permanent-magnet AC synchronous electric motor, 141-hp front-drive motor (199 lb-ft, est), 67-hp rear-drive motor (AWD only), 194-hp combined power rating
With 154hp, 141hp - and 67hp - how, combining any combination of these, does one get to 194hp ?

Its difficult to just add them together as the petrol (or Otto cycle) engine and the electric motor will have different power curves, therefore the peak power will be achieved at different places on the power curve, I think the usual way is for both motors to be added together they must use mean power of each curve or something like that, otherwise for example if the combustion motor gave 200bhp and the electric motor gave 100bhp added the vehciel will have 300bhp, sounds great until you realise that the petrol motor gives 200bhp at 6000rpm and the electric give 100bhp at say 10rpm, its very unlikely in practice that both will be giving maximum power at the very same time.

Interesting, so in effect, its an unfair comparison to compare a 200bhp hybrid with a 200bhp pure combustion engine. As the peak power delivery will be very different between the two engines.

And in reality, the 200bhp hybrid will, more than likely, appear much quicker than its rival, purely because of the lower peak power point.

Just looking for justification that my 300h thats coming in Nov is not going to be a like a milk float!

Basically yes, my Hybrid has a 211bhp/350nm petrol engine and a measley 54bhp/211nm electric motor, but rated at 245bhp/480nm total.

But of course that doesn't show the reality of having 211nm of torque available from zero revs, then the petrol motor takes over further up the range with its 350nm....somewhere in between they merge for a while and it is this bit that gives most hybrids that feeling of continous smooth power delivery, and the huge smiles on the faces of the drivers! :shifty:

Can someone more educated on this matter than I, explain to me how the total BHP of the 300H is worked out ?

I stole this from another website

154 hp, 152 lb-ft with permanent-magnet AC synchronous electric motor, 141-hp front-drive motor (199 lb-ft, est), 67-hp rear-drive motor (AWD only), 194-hp combined power rating
With 154hp, 141hp - and 67hp - how, combining any combination of these, does one get to 194hp ?

total system power is often limited due to the design of the transmission which is only strong enough for a certain amount of power. In the case of multiple electric motors the inverter may not have enough capacity to power all the motors at full power at the same time.

But with vehicles that have just the one electric motor (like mine with the motor within the transmission) the calculations still do not add up to the total of both drivetrains.

It is down to both drivetrains not producing peak power at the same time, it would be seen as "bending" the figures if they just added them up simply. There may be an industry standard calculation but I am not aware of it, and cannot find out anymore, pity.

Interesting, so in effect, its an unfair comparison to compare a 200bhp hybrid with a 200bhp pure combustion engine. As the peak power delivery will be very different between the two engines.

And in reality, the 200bhp hybrid will, more than likely, appear much quicker than its rival, purely because of the lower peak power point.

Just looking for justification that my 300h thats coming in Nov is not going to be a like a milk float!

From a standstill, the 200hp pure combustion engine will have the edge. Itll take off quicker.

When rolling however, hybrid comes into its own, it'll leave the pure combustion engine behind. Hybrid's rolling acceleration is very good

From a standstill, the 200hp pure combustion engine will have the edge. Itll take off quicker.

When rolling however, hybrid comes into its own, it'll leave the pure combustion engine behind. Hybrid's rolling acceleration is very good

For most Hybrids you have that the wrong way around, as the electric motor produces maximum torque from zero revs, the initial pick up off the line will almost always go the hybrids way (unless it has a very small "helper" motor rather than the norm), a petrol (or diesel) engined vehicle has an initial pause while the engine comes "on stream" and gets to its peak power, you only have to look at power curves to realise this.

This why virtually every hybrid has the nice feeling of very perky off the line performance followed by a continous flow of power as the petrol/diesel engine takes over further up the power band.

My hybrids 0-30mph times are faster than the 3 Litre diesel version which has 100bhp more from its combustiuon engine than mine, its the electric motor that zips it off the line initially as it gets 211nm of torque at minimum revs.

The total power of the car is due to the petrol power plus the batterie power around 40 bhp.

If only it were that simple, we would not be having this discussion :winky:

But electric engines get their power from where? From the 42 hp Battery, that's simple! ;) (when it's not empty)

The total power of the car is due to the petrol power plus the batterie power around 40 bhp.

If only it were that simple, we would not be having this discussion :winky:

But electric engines get their power from where? From the 42 hp Battery, that's simple! ;) (when it's not empty)

Do you mean 42kwh Battery? The motor can be rated in HP...roughly 750watts per HP is the industry guideline, but the Battery is rated in Watts/hours its a storage capacity..

The Battery power is rated for 42hp, the petrol is 155hp for a total of 197hp.

Our tax is rated to the carbon gaz emission now, and the NX is too high to have a bonus like IS300h (3600€) and too low to be taxed. Anyway, we still have the 20% VAT :eerrrmm:

you cannot have a Battery rated in hp.

The total system power is rated at 197 hp. The petrol engine produces 155 hp, the front electric motor is 143 hp and the rear motor (if fitted) is 68 hp. Not all the three component are used together at full power - the total of all three at any one time doesn't exceed 197 hp.

Just to confuse matters ..

The McLaren P1 ...... has a 727 BHP petrol engine and a 176bhp electrical engine. McLaren advertise this car as having 903BHP (http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/model/7/EN/doc/49/)

916PS (903 hp) generated by 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 petrol engine coupled to an electric motor gives tremendous power and instant throttle response with an electronically limited top speed of 350 km/h (217 mph)

Therefore, I'm saying my NX has 362 BHP (154hp + 141hp + 67hp). I'd be wrong - and it will be the worlds slowest 362BHP car - but its going by the same math as what McLaren use lol

But the McLaren does have 903bhp, the Lexus does not work in the same way.

The McLaren electric motor sits in a different place and is combined with the power hence the output, as opposed to the Lexus system which is explained above.

But the McLaren does have 903bhp, the Lexus does not work in the same way.

The McLaren electric motor sits in a different place and is combined with the power hence the output, as opposed to the Lexus system which is explained above.

Its still not that simple, McLaren conviniently forget about the vastely differing power curves between the motors, they quote 903bhp but I'd like to see that steady on a dyno, my Hybrid has much the same set-up with the electric motor driving directly into the engine/transmission powertrain but it will not give a combined total on a dyno of both motors as they both give peak power and torque at different places on the curve.

903bhp does sound good in the brochure though........same as mine would look better in the brochure if it said 256bhp/561nm as opposed to the genuine rated 245bhp/480nm, its all a matter of interpretation.

It appears the P1 has 175bhp low down then the petrol 727bhp carries on the charge as it gets "on song", so a bit of poetic license the 903bhp one wonders? :whistling:

"The hybrid powertrain starts with the familiar mid-mounted 3.8-liter V-8 engine from the 12C, here producing 727 horsepower at 7500 rpm and 531 pound-feet of torque at 4000 rpm. The 134-hp bump comes largely from the additional 3 psi of  boost produced by bigger turbochargers. The electric motor fills in the bottom end of the power curve, so there’s little worry about the additional spool-up time required by the upgraded turbos."

quote /you cannot have a Battery rated in hp.

The total system power is rated at 197 hp. The petrol engine produces 155 hp, the front electric motor is 143 hp and the rear motor (if fitted) is 68 hp. Not all the three component are used together at full power - the total of all three at any one time doesn't exceed 197 hp.

/quote

Hi,

To understand what i mean, just have a look on this pdf on page 27, and add petrol (thermique) power with batterie power in ch to obtain 197 total power.

www.lexus.fr/img/NX_presale_tcm886-1302875.pdf