Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bypassing parking brake switch for playing DVD Video

I just picked up my new LX470 today and was trying to figure out how to bypass/deactivate the switch located in the parking brake which prevents viewing of DVD videos on NAV screen unless parking brake is set. I would like to avoid having to install monitors on the headrests so my family can watch DVD's while the vehicle is moving (hopefully I am not stupid enough to try to watch and drive). I can't see any way to open up the handle. Does anyone know easy way to bypass this switch?

sorry im not fortunate to have an Ls all i can suggest is speak to the dealer and ask them to modify it for you - might not be just a case of shorting the switch as depends what else is linked into the handbrake system.

sorry im not fortunate to have an Ls all i can suggest is speak to the dealer and ask them to modify it for you - might not be just a case of shorting the switch as depends what else is linked into the handbrake system.

The dealer won't make the modification because legal requirements do not permit them to do this. I understand from someone I talked to that there is a switch located in the handbrake or activated by lifting the handbrake. If I lift the handbrake very slightly, the DVD will display video and sound (even with vehicle in drive and moving down the road), but if I lower the handbrake, the video is blocked and only audio plays from the DVD, and NAV map is displayed.

mmmm i know this isnt much help but the only thing i can suggest is take the car to a reputable car audio/electonics shop and ask them to sort it out or try and do it yourself - you can always go into the parts dept and ask them to tell you where the switch is or show you on the microfiche/cd.

but if the switch is shorted/bypassed i think you will have the parkbrake warning light on all the time and you might get the little 'chime' as you first drive away, you would really need to find out what other systems are linked into this switch first.

just thought - ask dealer if they would be prepared to modify if you signed a statement of no responsibility etc etc

• 3 weeks later...

Do not sort out the hand brake switch as this will then display the hand brake light on the dash.

Take the screen out and test for the (mostprobably negative) wire that gives the signal from the hand brake cut this wire and conect the screen end with a 2amp fuse to ground (so long as it was a negative in the first place) make sure you tape up the wire from the hand brake.

If this does not solve the problem then you may have to repeat this prosses at the rear of the veical by the dvd/nav

Try this any probs send me a 2u2 message

cheers James