Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Will Replace The Rx450H?

"Much prefer the porsche cayenne."

We have one of those too and the bills are more, fuel consumption less but it is a genuine 4WD.

​There is something about the Lexus that gives me pleasure each time I drive it - real quality. `The Cayenne is - harder and not as smooth.

We have one of those too and the bills are more, fuel consumption less but it is a genuine 4WD.

​There is something about the Lexus that gives me pleasure each time I drive it - real quality. `The Cayenne is - harder and not as smooth.

Do you have the air suspension on your cayenne? I prefer the styling of the cayenne and seriously considered the gts.

Do you have the air suspension on your cayenne? I prefer the styling of the cayenne and seriously considered the gts.

I hate the cayenne ha! Not my style, I prefer to think of it as a toad. And yes, it is a very hard ride. You may as well get a 911

I must admit the recent "frontage" of the Lexus offerings has put us off considering either the new RX or the soon available NX as replacements for the ML, granted as luxury vehicles they probably both surpass almost all, but that styling......urgh!

I had a potato chipper that looked more attractive! :whistling:

• Like 1

I don't like the CAyenne... too gobby...

But I do like the latest iteration of the RX, with the spindle grille.

I guess the new NX most probably previews the design philosophy that will be applied to the RX replacement.

I read something recently somewhere with some thoughts that the next version of the RX was likely to be slightly larger and that there might be a 7 seater version too.

Would make sense as it would increase the gap between the current RX and the new NX.

I guess it will be more of a competitor to the Audit Q7 and forthcoming BMW X7.

Would make sense as it would increase the gap between the current RX and the new NX.

I guess it will be more of a competitor to the Audit Q7 and forthcoming BMW X7.

I think its going to be slightly larger like the new X5 size. That way, it has the ability to seat 7 if needed but only for short trips and wont be too big that it eats into the GX series in other parts of the world.

Either new X5 or RR Sport size would be good.

From what I have read, the new BMW X7 will slot it above the X5. Where the X5 is pitched against the MercBenz ML, the X7 will compete with the MercBenz GL.

I am kind of expecting that the new RX will either fight it off with the ML and X5... or that it will slot in between the X5 and X7.

So many SUVs are coming to market that it is going to be a tough fight. New Discovery, and Volvo X90 replacement and Jaguar, Maserati and others are about to enter the SUV market, all with models similar in size and price to the current RX. Also looks like most will have hybrid options, including plug in hybrids. If Lexus want to stay ahead of the others, they will need to offer plug-ins also. I am assuming that this is already in the pipeline, given that Toyota already offers this. To date, Lexus has been rather unique in its offering and its refusal to offer diesels (except for the IS220d). From the moment this uniqueness disappears, it is going to have a tough time preserving its share of the market from the new comers.

From what I have read, the new BMW X7 will slot it above the X5. Where the X5 is pitched against the MercBenz ML, the X7 will compete with the MercBenz GL.

I am kind of expecting that the new RX will either fight it off with the ML and X5... or that it will slot in between the X5 and X7.

So many SUVs are coming to market that it is going to be a tough fight. New Discovery, and Volvo X90 replacement and Jaguar, Maserati and others are about to enter the SUV market, all with models similar in size and price to the current RX. Also looks like most will have hybrid options, including plug in hybrids. If Lexus want to stay ahead of the others, they will need to offer plug-ins also. I am assuming that this is already in the pipeline, given that Toyota already offers this. To date, Lexus has been rather unique in its offering and its refusal to offer diesels (except for the IS220d). From the moment this uniqueness disappears, it is going to have a tough time preserving its share of the market from the new comers.

Wow! Not sure how I manage to post the same entry 4 times! I am having some network challenges, so assume it's my fault. Maybe someone has the facility to remove the duplicates.

Thanks in advance and apologies.

Hopefully I've made my point about Lexus' challenges! ;-)

posted that 3 times there! Now the RX is a pioneering model, it will of course come with tech upgrades. The NX has been in the design stage since 2009, it wouldnt be surprising if the new RX has been too. The facelift is just to keep customers interested till it comes out.

Going back to the Cayenne discussion... I've just bought a new RX450H and seriously considered the Cayenne (and the new Macan) before doing so. The Cayenne costs a lot more and doesn't exactly come with a high spec. It's also a much firmer ride, which I don't like. The air suspension costs a couple of thousand and the interior is smaller. The only thing I like better about the Cayenne is the Porsche badge(!), but that was very tempting.

GTS is incredibly thirsty and very difficult to sell used because of that. The diesel is a better buy and cheaper to run, but the sound and performance of the GTS are fab. RX wins with the head, Cayenne with the heart.

Talking of fuel consumption, my RX is only delivering low 30's - is that normal? How do I get the 40+ claimed in the brochure?

Going back to the Cayenne discussion... I've just bought a new RX450H and seriously considered the Cayenne (and the new Macan) before doing so. The Cayenne costs a lot more and doesn't exactly come with a high spec. It's also a much firmer ride, which I don't like. The air suspension costs a couple of thousand and the interior is smaller. The only thing I like better about the Cayenne is the Porsche badge(!), but that was very tempting.

GTS is incredibly thirsty and very difficult to sell used because of that. The diesel is a better buy and cheaper to run, but the sound and performance of the GTS are fab. RX wins with the head, Cayenne with the heart.

Talking of fuel consumption, my RX is only delivering low 30's - is that normal? How do I get the 40+ claimed in the brochure?

Mine is on 26mpg but i have a lead foot and love putting it in sport mode! It becomes a little bit of a beast!

To get 45mpg the main methods are to overinflate the tyres, I run them on 33psi but inflating to about 40psi will help, if you have dunlop or bridgestone tyres, change them out for michelin latitude tour hp. Keep the car constantly in eco mode and switch to EV when in slow traffic.

I found that accelerating very slowly, and increasing braking distance significantly improves MPG also.

I have yet to see a computer read out from a RX which has anywhere near a normal journey pattern and returns over 40........you have to bite the bullet and accept the showroom figures are from a controlled industry test demanded by government legislation, and not real world fuel returns at all.

They do provide a quite useful guide to vehicle to vehicle comparisons, but not a "real world" consumption figure.

Mine is on 26mpg but i have a lead foot and love putting it in sport mode! It becomes a little bit of a beast!

To get 45mpg the main methods are to overinflate the tyres, I run them on 33psi but inflating to about 40psi will help, if you have dunlop or bridgestone tyres, change them out for michelin latitude tour hp. Keep the car constantly in eco mode and switch to EV when in slow traffic.

I found that accelerating very slowly, and increasing braking distance significantly improves MPG also.

Well I haven't yet found out how to engage eco mode and am not desperate enough to overinflate the tyres! I'm good on braking distance (as in I leave decent amounts of room in the interests of self preservation) and I don't normally drive too heavily footed, but I'm not going to sacrifice enjoying the car to squeeze better fuel consumption and find the idea of "unleashing the beast" more appealing :)

I have yet to see a computer read out from a RX which has anywhere near a normal journey pattern and returns over 40........you have to bite the bullet and accept the showroom figures are from a controlled industry test demanded by government legislation, and not real world fuel returns at all.

They do provide a quite useful guide to vehicle to vehicle comparisons, but not a "real world" consumption figure.

So now I have a dilemna - do I try to be the first person to achieve 40+ or should I just accept the fact it's uneconomical and enjoy it. I think I'll try both options!

I just dumped my E class hybrid to get the Lexus. That achieved around 50 consistently and close to 60 downhill with the wind behind! Obviously the RX is much heavier and is a petrol hybrid rather than diesel, so no surprise it's less economical. The Merc hybrid though was a liability and extremely jerky when powered by the Battery (which could only be done below 10 mph), whereas the RX is smoother and far more controllable when Battery powered. Plus I prefer petrol engines to smelly old diesels and the Merc had other issues. All in all, I much prefer the RX with poor fuel economy, but I think to have the stated consumption so different to reality is annoying.....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links