Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Feeling Like A New Lexus!

Hi all,

Auto? Diesel? Petrol? IS 220? or 250?

Bit of advice needed on a new Lexus, just thinking of upgrading from my 2001 IS 200 to the next model, have been told about the problems with the 220d but not sure about the 250 version because of the increase in tax and fuel.

Would like IS 200d f sport but unfortunately my budget wont stretch that far.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Craig.

I would certainly recommend the IS250. In relation to fuel I get about 24 mpg doing school runs, 27 mpg on mixed round town and 38 mpg on a decent motorway run so it is not too bad for a v6 2.5 petrol. The road tax is only an issue if like me you don't research it and buy a manual which is £480 per year (a Ferrari F430 spider v8 4.3litre is only an extra £20 quid per year). The auto is about £250 a year. However if you remove the road tax issue I am very impressed with the IS250 and find I enjoy it more and more every passing month. It is very refined, quiet, goes fast if you need it too, although it does not really give you the urge to welly it and has great equipment level. The SEL is the top of the range with all the toys, however I have the SE which has sunroof, full leather seat and trim, Mark Levinson premium audio and Sat Nav with reverse camera so excellent compared to similar BM and Mercs. As always it comes down to personal choice but I can't fault this car and very few people on the forum have had an major issues.

Thanks for your reply Bobby this really helps, I've looked at IS200d F sport but because it is fairly new it's out of my price range, for instance a 2010 model you're looking at £14,000 I did notice that this car has a tax price of £130 to £145 a year and also gives 55mpg which most people would be happy with.

Bobby I think the auto would be my choice to be honest as I fancy a change and am getting lazy.

David the mileage on mine is coming up to 88,000

Thanks

Yeah to be honest David I don't know whether to stick or twist. Mine needs a cam belt and a general tidy of the bodywork, wheels could also do with a complete refurbish. I can get bodywork done through a friend quite cheaply and that even includes taking the bonnet off as a little rust mark has appeared at the very front of it. I do understand though that you never really get the money back you spend on bodywork at resale. Hmmmmmm decisions decisions!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

No David never driven one, I love my Lexus its never missed a beat but its getting to the age where it needs a bit of TLC. Its also starting to judder when braking from about 40mph so im guessing it needs new discs and pads as well. I know the car is good for a few years yet but not sure whether to spend some money on it or just go a get the IS 250 and treat myself. :phone:

Which ISF have you got? and is it as good as they all say. I love em me.

No David never driven one, I love my Lexus its never missed a beat but its getting to the age where it needs a bit of TLC. Its also starting to judder when braking from about 40mph so im guessing it needs new discs and pads as well. I know the car is good for a few years yet but not sure whether to spend some money on it or just go a get the IS 250 and treat myself. :phone:

Which ISF have you got? and is it as good as they all say. I love em me.

Get yourself out this weekend mate and test drive a 250 auto .let us know the outcome what you think.

I've got a silver isf mate 2008 .brilliant car mate .too fast to be honest lol .it just pulls and pulls .

If your ever up in cumbria give me a shout and i,ll unleash the beast for you .

Never heard reports of a 220d getting 55mpg in real life btw.

If you were going to keep your IS200 for over 2 years ide get the body work done for your own benifit if not ide leave it up to the next owner as it wont increase the value. cambelt a different matter, prob have to get it done to sell it tbh

Classic example of the government forcing us to buy the car they want us to buy. makes my blood boil. anyway if you get the auto its about the same as your IS200 in tax isnt it? with slightly better MPG too your outgoings are going to be the same, unless your looking to cut back

anyway keep us posted. lovely IS200 youve got there

Hi Craig,

As bobby said the auto is cheaper to tax. If you get a manual registered before 23rd March 2006 it will be in the same tax band as your IS200. You IS is a lovely colour. Silver IS in Cumbria? Where a bouts David. Lovely machine. I will have one, eventually...
I am currently considering a 3rd gen GS300 all the toys but the pre March 2006 model has the old low res sat nav screen.

Hi Craig,

As bobby said the auto is cheaper to tax. If you get a manual registered before 23rd March 2006 it will be in the same tax band as your IS200. You IS is a lovely colour. Silver IS in Cumbria? Where a bouts David. Lovely machine. I will have one, eventually...

I am currently considering a 3rd gen GS300 all the toys but the pre March 2006 model has the old low res sat nav screen.

Im near the lakes mate .thanks

I'm in Carlisle I'll have to keep an eye out for the North West Beast. Ill be the idiot drooling in a Northern Irish registered is200 silver David.

Hi all, Pete if ya look I've put IS 200d f sport gets 55mpg sadly it's out of my price range but I've enjoyed looking into it for future reference. (Pipe dream) ha ha.

So if you'd got a budget of lets say £7000 to buy an IS 250 Auto/Diesel what age would you look at and mileage? ect.

Could I even get one thats decent for that money?

Any advice much appreciated chaps.

Cheers.

Hi

For £7k you should get a really decent IS250 around 06 - 08 with between 45K-65K miles on the clock and full lexus service history.

The difference in price seems to relate to the various specs more than anything else.

Just thought while looking at IS 250, Does anyone know if they do an auto diesel model can't seem to find one. Apparently the auto is cheaper on road tax than the manual. If so how much is the diesel manual to tax?

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links