Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

That Tyre Question Again....

Hi fellas, I'm soon going to need a new set, maybe over the summer sometime and thought I would ask for some suggestions please. I know its been asked a million times but with new tyres coming along etc I thought it would be ok me asking.

My Is200 is currently on Potenza RE050 tyres, down to 3-4mm which I find very loud so would like something quieter if poss.

I've got these 4 in mind so opinions welcome :-)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE914.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/FK453.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SportMaxx-RT.htm

Thanks

I have found Maxxis to be very good, wear and price wise. Used them through summer and winter with no problems. Lifetime warranty as well.

Must be ok as our founder "Monster Mat" advertise/sponsored by them on his IS drift car.

Had falkens on mine when i bought car 5 years ago,couldn't get rid of them quick enough(in other words didn't like them).Of the 3 you mention would go for Dunlops or Goodyears.

its like asking the question, 'what type of wine do you like' you will get different answers...some might prefer cheap wine cus it tastes better than expensive wine, some might prefer white others red wine, some might like sweet others might like bitter some might like one because the brand name sounds good others might prefer one because thats what falls withing thier budget etc etc... same when it comes to tyres you will get different answers/brands thrown at you.

read most tyre review websites and you will notice one puts down Pirelli in favour of bridgestones they replaced it with another will go from say Micheline to Avon and cant wait to go back to Michelines because Avons does not respond well to thier driving style the third man will put down Dunlops in favour of Goodyears they replaced it with becasue they seem to wear better etc etcc.. thing is we are all different and will respond to things differently. so there is no no1 quietest tyre all depends on the individual and the type of car in question. i might find tyre A noisy and irritating to live with but you might find it ok and bearable for day to day driving another might find tyre B twitchy and breaks traction easily whilst the same tyres will be praised by another guy as bringing thier car alive and makes them enjoy driving it due to the tyres giving them that edgey unpredictable feel they have been searching for.

had Falken Azenis FK453's and found them quiet and bearable for my day to day driving and recently switched to Bridgestones which i also find quiet and more grippier than Falkens but as you can see scudney above couldnt wait to get rid of his Falkens..

Lexus LS600h comes fitted with Bridgestone Turanza with Avon ZZ3 and Dunlop SP 9000 being options for the LS so maybe any one of these spec tyres might be quiet for your IS as the LS needs to be a quiet comfort car so a quiet comfort tyre spec had to be chosen by Lexus for it. if you are also running 18 or 17" then try changing to 16" rims for better comfort and quiestness but you will loose a bit of the IS's handling capability..

As noby said everyone has different tastes for tyres.

My preference is GoodYear eagle F1 Assymetric 2s..Crazy amount of grip and lasting me well. Done about 6k in the with 6mm tread left on them even with a heavy right foot :)

Thanks fellas, some great points there, I think I will keep an eye out for Goodyears, checked my treads yesterday and I have 2 on 3mm and 2 4mm so I've probably got at least the summer before I need to sort them, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have Dunlop sport maxx all round which are pretty good and not too pricey. My local tyre place who have never tried to rip me off in the past send tend to be honest reckon the new Continental contact 5's are they way to so that's my next choice. Anyone tried going up to 225's on their 17's instead of the usual 215's?

most tyre manufactures claim thier tyres can save fuel but quesgtion is how much does one really save from these tyres.. sonce owning my car i have run Pirelli P Zero Rosso's, Falken Azenis FK453's and currenlty running Bridgestone Potenza's S001 and i can say my fuel consumption has been the same only time i save fuel was during the warm weathers and when i keep the engine between 2000-3000 rpm during a journey... so regardless of what tyre manufactures claim with thier tyres saving fuel, if you drive like you stole the car, it will drink fuel....