Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clayed whole car this morning, could not believe how much contamination I got off the paintwork.She feels real smooth now, all I need is for it to stop raining and I can wax her.Gradually getting car how I want it.post-50317-0-56611200-1401106740_thumb.j

Clayed whole car this morning, could not believe how much contamination I got off the paintwork.She feels real smooth now, all I need is for it to stop raining and I can wax her.Gradually getting car how I want it.attachicon.gif20140526_130443.jpg

Hi Scott, Cant see the picture. Well done you for claying the whole car, must have taken ages. Mike

Clayed whole car this morning, could not believe how much contamination I got off the paintwork.She feels real smooth now, all I need is for it to stop raining and I can wax her.Gradually getting car how I want it.attachicon.gif20140526_130443.jpg

Even upside down, that looks good. it will be even better with wax. I am a fan of detailing, just to old and lazy to do it myself now.

I do like to have it done at least once a year. William

I have heard a lot of people using clay's - what does it actually do and is there a noticeable difference after using it .. is there a specific colour it works / shows better on??

It purely works with a detailing spray, you saturate the car in the spray and the clay works by collecting the contaminates which have gradually built up on the bodywork.It gently removes all of this leaving it clean and smooth..you just gently rub on top of the paint.The results are very good, smooth as glass.I use the Maguires clay..will work on any car paint.

Top work fella. I don't have the time to do that and to be honest don't want to! To time consuming for me. Takes me almost 4 hours to rinse, clean, wax (car and wheels), clean interior and do trim.

Just got the car so I'm doing all this now before the winter comes..Each to there own..hey if I could find someone to do it..I'd still do it..I really enjoy it.Had a day off work..Mrs was working so why not.

• Like 1

I too enjoy washing and polishing my cars..... Take all day too do mine 6+ hrs ....oh wait I've just got myself a ls600hl make that 8-10hrs now lol, when I do my mrs car 20mins n I'm finished lol

• Like 1

To keep a good car in good paint condition then you really need to go down the clay bar route.

Yes it can take a while, especially on a big lexus.

Yes it can also make you arms and back hurt with the effort.

But when you have finished and put a good wax over the top, you will not believe how smooth the paintwork feels. And getting those bits of crud off the paint that washing misses will make the paint last longer and look better.

Took me best part of 6hrs last time i washed, clayed and waxed my old girl, another 7hrs for the car after that :zorro:

I hope sue don't read this, or i may have a pair of black eyes at our next meet

• Like 5

To keep a good car in good paint condition then you really need to go down the clay bar route.

Yes it can take a while, especially on a big lexus.

Yes it can also make you arms and back hurt with the effort.

But when you have finished and put a good wax over the top, you will not believe how smooth the paintwork feels. And getting those bits of crud off the paint that washing misses will make the paint last longer and look better.

Took me best part of 6hrs last time i washed, clayed and waxed my old girl, 7hrs for the car after that :zorro:

I hope sue don't read this, or i may have a pair of black eyes at our next meet

An Ls 400 or Ls430, Clayed and waxed, with the windows cleaned, and tyres dressed, is a sight to behold.

It matters not what colour, or how old the car is, a well detailed car, is never bland.

Put the effort in once or twice a year, then use the 2 bucket washing to keep it pristine,

if only it didn't rain so much.William

Agree that a proper clean before a wax makes a huge difference.

Gave my car a 1 hour quick wash the other day, and then ran hand over paint work, and could feel all the bits of grunge still stuck on the paint.

Plan to give the car a proper 'rub down' in next month, but spare 5 to 6 hours not so easy to come by with all the other DIY and gardening projects on the go, as well as trying to find out why the wife's Honda collects water in the boot like crazy at the mo.

Upside down photos...

I find that when I try to upload photos , usually when taken with iPad or Iphone and i chose Camera Roll .

But if i chose My photo Stream then they seem to work ok

Don't ask me why...it just happens

If you have seen and felt the difference between two cars just washed the same way, 1 clayed and the other not, then you will know what the claying fuss is about when you look at the paint and touch the paint.

Not only that, claying removes the small bits of debris that washing does not and cannot, this in turn gives the paint on the car a better look & feel and will make it last longer.

Check these videos for an idea on what it is all about (there are many other videos so just look about)

Question: Before using a clay bar should you remove tar spots and other crud first, or can the clay bar deal with them, and will it be okay to use on the bottom door panels of LS (I assume they are not metal panels - but never looked that close)

Claying doesn't necessarily remove tar spots, Autoglym do a tar remover liquid that works great.Its mainly for the removal of deposits that have built up steadily on the paintwork over months or maybe years.If a car is washed correctly and regularly and polished and waxed you should only have to do this maybe once a year even then you would be able to tell by just running your hands over the bodywork.A well clayed car will feel as smooth as silk.Some tar deposits can be really difficult to remove with clay, can be done but the tar remover liquid is quicker, that's what I've found.In any case after doing all this I have booked her into the paint shop in September for some tlc which no polishing or claying will rectify.Once done she should be impeccable.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links