Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 Rx300 Smoking On Start Up And Eating Oil!

Hi, I recently purchased a 2005 Lexus RX300 with low miles (59000) and a good service history. The vehicle had just had the cam belt change service and drives like a dream. I noticed after a few days that when left overnight it would smoke white/grey from the exhaust for 5 seconds on start up. This has gradually got worse and now smokes in start up if used for 20 minutes plus. In addition to this it is eating engine oil at 1.5 litres per 100 miles covered. I have taken vehicle to Lexus main dealer and that have attached to diagnostic equipment and say that the car is perfect with no warnings showing up. They also state that it passed the emissions test. Really frustrated and now don't know where to turn, any ideas would be very much appreciated......Ian

Hi Ian, that to me sounds more like a piston ring broken or worn (unlikely with that mileage) or valve stem seals again unlikely with that mileage, i have never had to put any oil in any lexus or toyota's ive had between services, Has it got the correct grade of oil in it ? You say it has just had cam belt done don't suppose the belt was refitted a tooth out meaning slightly out of timing to allow for the oil burning issue? Probably wouldn't bring any codes up, who done the cambelt lexus? White smoke normally means water or coolant leaking into cylinder , have you noticed and oily residue in your coolant water bottle or top of radiator as you could have a cracked engine block or blown head gasket, if head gasket gone you would probably notice your oil level slightly increasing but be milky, but cracked block may mean losing oil into your coolant system.

Seems strange hopefully someone else may be able to help more or advise better, very strange as ultra reliable normally..

WTF do they need a diagnostic computer for if there is smoke coming out the exhaust? :unsure: - are there no mechanics left who understand how a combustion engine works? :blink:

Basically, oil is getting into the cylinders somehow (the smoke is the result of it burning off) - this most commonly happens through the head gasket or piston rings, as Lurch said. Car mechanic basics, FFS...what is that dealer on about? :wacko:

Sadly, I'm sure the dealer knows perfectly well what the problem is but it's an expensive problem and they don't want to admit it. You'd hope for more from a Lexus dealer. :eerrrmm:

Neil, i tend to agree with you , dealer knows more about that vehicle than there letting on. If its a Lexus dealer who sold it to Ian then its shocking the way he's being treated. I've had a few run ins with a Lexus dealer regarding quality of there servicing in the past. If its lexus then he should be able to get a refund. That mileage and history should have no issues with smoking full stop.

I agree with the Parrot, first look at the crankcase ventilation system components, it is entirely possible at such a low mileage/usage for the year it has become "gummed" up with oil residue causing high crank case pressure which in turn will force oil up past the rings and into the combustion chambers to be burnt.

Very true, that is heavy oil consumption, easy to check for cylinder blowback remove the oil filler cap with the engine running and see if there is pressure blowing out the filler hole.

Ian please come back with the outcome to this one should make interseting reading.