Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance And Genuine/non-Genuine Parts ?

Hi,

This is abit of a insurance and warranty question so I hope I explain it well enough for people to understand.

I pick up my MY14 CT on saturday from the dealer. I have just been given the reg so thought I would ring my insurance company to change over the car when my free 3 days cover from Lexus runs out. The price quoted to swap over wasn't to bad at all but my only sticking point is that they cant guarantee that genuine parts will be used in the invent of a claim as Lexus is not on there list of approved garages. So from what I understand if I stay with them and claim my brand new car wont have a warranty as it will be void use non genuine parts are used????? Obviously Lexus have gave me a price to move insurance to them but it is alot more expensive but make a big deal of only lexus parts will be used as It will just go to my nearest dealer. I'm unsure what to do now????

Can my current cheaper insurance company really make the repairers use non genuine parts and by doing so void my warranty????? I don't want to be ion a situation where I have a brand new car and no warranty.

Any help?????

thanks

All accident repairs are warrantied by the repair company. The manufacturer will not warrant items that are accident damaged even if genuine parts were used but the rest of the car will have warranty.

I expect the non-genuine parts for this car to be pretty much non-existent so I reckon you have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy the car!

Oh good. I did think the lexus insurance man was trying to scare me. The difference is cost is just to high really and one of my named drivers isn't allowed on the policy if I go through lexus.

Thanks for info.

Cheers

IIRC you are entitled to take your car to a dealer of your choice for repairs should the situation ever arise, the only reason insurer's have "Approved Repairers" in my opinion is cost saving (like using non OEM parts and reduced labour costs).

Insurers cannot stop you taking your car to Lexus,they may make a fuss, tell you that you can't have a loan car (which will be a hire car anyway) but at the end of the day it is your right to have the car brought back to its pre accident condition by the manufacturer.

• 2 years later...

I too was quoted by Lexus motor insurance for a high premium with a compulsory £300 excess.  They too made a fuss about non genuine parts elsewhere.  My current insurers, AXA, yes AXA is any of your team read this, told me that they would only cover up to the amount their people would do the job for and I would have to pay any extra costs my self.  Kinda defeats the idea of being insured if I have to pay for any repairs.  I have asked Axa 3 times for what I am covered for and I have 3 different answers, however their policy document does state they will use parts that are close to manufacturers parts and may be recycled parts.  So for peace of mind do I go and spend £200 more on a Lexus quote or go cheaper and hope another insurer will pay out and hire me a car too?  Oh one more thing, I read that being in the Lexus Owners Club, I may be entitled to up to a 15% discount.  Lexus Motor Insurance will only offer 5%.  Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi Tim,

Having used insurance for a fender bender on my IS300h I can tell you that it doesn't matter who you get insurance from.

By LAW - you have the right to choose any garage - be it one that specializes in Bentleys or whatever. The insurance companies generally use awful bodyshops anyway. Their main aim is to get your car fixed for as cheaply as possible.

My insurer at the time was Highway (part of LV group) and I told them that I want my car done at RRG bodyshop in Bolton (I live in Yorkshire but they're the bodyshop that do all the cars for Lexus Bradford, Stockport, Bolton and Manchester).

So, I showed the car to Lexus Bradford who took pictures, sent them to RRG Bodyshop. At this point Highway had already given me an Audatex code which I passed on to Bradford. The repair was £3k for a front bumper and fender which was approved. Lexus picked it up and had it done in a week and drove it back - amazing job too!

If its your fault you will have to pay the insurance company an extra £250 excess (non-approved repairer excess) on top of what your compulsory and voluntary excesses are and they won't provide a courtesy car, however Lexus will supply one if you ask anyway and charge the insurance company so doesn't matter anyway!

Of course, if its not your fault, you don't lose out as the other party will be paying your excesses!

3riqrKpMQ9V-zSctF3vqg-7jlXCNhDv6k4-ccNam

Yes, that cost £3k lmao!

Ouch £3K for a bumper.  That is the big question, proving fault.  Sometimes you can be parked and come back to the damage and then you are stuffed.

I have to say that I have found Lexus customer care to be very good so far.  Anyway back to the point.  If I understand correctly, in such an event, Id want Lexus to deal with a repair so using another insurer and my own repair centre is probably the best combination of cost and quality.