Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

It's been a long time since my last post as everything was great... until today.

My car got involved in the accident, where I hit the car from behind while moving from right lane to the left lane. Don't ask me how this happened, as I am yet to digest that myself. Luckily I was driving slow, so the damage is not terrible, at least it looks like.

Anyways, what's done is done and the damage I have to my lovely car is as follows:

1) Front left side bumper big dent, which according to a body repairer- minor cosmetically not repairable

2) Left side of the bumper and grill popped out from clips (dunno whether clips themselves are still in place)

3) Left headlamp washer cap missing (I don't know whether the unit itself is still in place, as it is difficult to assess)

4) That is only visible damage and according to body repairer the impact was cushioned by something, that is behind the bumper, so might have damaged chassis- however the car drives fine and I have not noticed any differences yet. Who can properly assess the damage?

Most likely I will have to change the whole bumper as well as the headlamp washer unit. Total cost quoted by Lexus ~900 pounds, ouch.

My question is- how do I proceed?

I have several options:

1) Try and repair myself via good bodyshop garage, which I am going to visit tomorrow for a quote.

2) Pay the excess on the insurance (which is not small) and go via them, which obviously will affect my no claims bonus. However, the other car I bumped into still going to claim from my insurance, so I think that it does not matter in this case then?

3) Any other suggestions like heavily refurbishing the bumper by the wizard of Oz are welcome too

4) It's first time I am in such situation, so don't really know what to do, so relying on you guys to give me a reasonable advice.

Also, does anyone know how much would a new bumper cost for my 2006 GS 450h SE via non dealer facilities and where should I look? Also, what would be approximate labor costs?

So far I am thinking of following steps:

1) Someone inspects and assess the damage

2) If now mechanical faults to the car after collision- then depending on the quotes I get-

a. Go via private

b. Go via insurance

As always, I appreciate any help from you guys!

Sorry to hear that you have been in a collision.If it was your fault and the other driver is claiming via his insurance then you might as well claim too since your premium will be increased anyway, even if you have protected your NCD. Legally you need to notify your insurer anyway, even if you don't claim.

Sorry to hear that you have been in a collision.If it was your fault and the other driver is claiming via his insurance then you might as well claim too since your premium will be increased anyway, even if you have protected your NCD. Legally you need to notify your insurer anyway, even if you don't claim.

How bad is it going to affect my premium?

Depends on your existing NCD, your previous driving record, your insurers. Maybe put all your details into an insurance site without declaring collision and then declare it and you will see what the difference is likely to be.

Go via insurance. I was in a collision in my wife's Mercedes C Class on a roundabout 3 years ago. Very slow speed, about 10mph as I was merging into another lane. Only paint was scratched slightly on the front fender and the mirror but the peugeot had a scratch all the way down because of my mirror. Personally, I dont think it was my fault anyway, the guy came way too fast round and pushed me onto the side.

He claimed for £1000!! to get a bloody scratch sorted on a car with a value of less than £5k and for a courtesy car for the full 3 days it was in the shop. I had full NCD protected and my premium went up £20 the next year.

Guys couple of questions- been to the local bodyshop garage- he quoted ~2k for repairs- a lot of collateral damage i.e will need new headlamp unit and etc.

My question is- do I go with local or with Lexus? The bloke told me that they use the same parts, the same computer automated system and etc, the only difference is that Lexus charge more.

Another question- what is a voluntary excess- is it compulsory for me to pay it on top of compulsory excess?

most of the main dealers I know, including Lexus dealers, don't do body shop work, they just have an agreement with a local company so I don't really see the point in going through Lexus as long as genuine parts are used and the official repair procedures are followed. If some mechanical work is also required then you may want Lexus to do that.

Regarding voluntary excess, yes you pay that on top of compulsory. It is only voluntary in that at the point of purchasing the policy you agree to add additional excess to reduce the premium.

Hello iRobot .

I agree with the advice that you should go through insurance. You imply that it was your fault, so just accept the consequences and let the insurance company sort it out for you. They will recommend the outfit to repair your vehicle and arrange for a replacement vehicle for you pending completion of repairs (assuming that your policy provides for this).

Just sit back, relax and try not to hit anybody from behind again.....we have all been where you are now.

Good luck.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Personally I would go via insurance or Lexus. The reason is, if there is any issues with the repair (poor workmanship, iffy parts etc.) then you will be dealing with the insurance co and/or Lexus who will get things sorted with the repairer (they prob send much work their way so have a bigger "stick" to hit them with). Dealing direct may, of course, be cheaper (a factor if you're paying direct) but if there any issues, how well will the repairer meet your demands? Obviously, if you know the repairer and they are good/reputable then this changes things.

Go through your insurance, as already stated your going to
lose your no calms anyway un less your have it protected, also I would go
through a Lexus dealership, in fact I make sure my insurance company understand
that if any work is needed that it will go to a Lexus dealership, they normally
tell me that’s not a problem but it may take longer as it may not be one of
there recommended repairers and that they would not guarantee a courtesy car.

Go through your insurance:

1. expensive repair. Yours + theirs.

2. Your fault by your admission.

3. You don't want the other party coming after you for £X,000 for "whiplash" in a few months' time and you haven't informed your insurance.

If you are near Coventry, I can recommend Perfect Finish off Lockhurst Lane. Used by Lexus Cov, and I have used them a few times , excellent people.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links