Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Pitched Squealing/whistling About 30 Mph?

Gruntfuggly

Noticed a high pitched squeal/whistle with the windows down in the last week or so. I knew the discs were a bit warped, so I've had them replaced and new pads. However, the squealing is still there?

It only starts above 30mph or so, and once starts it lowers in pitch for a few seconds and then stays at the same pitch. It stops (after going back up in pitch) as I go back below 25ish.

The pitch doesn't change with speed, and it doesn't seem engine related - no squeal if I just rev the engine when stationary.

Are the break pad wear indicators built into the pad, or do they need replacing separately? I assumed it was the pad wear sound, but now I'm thinking it might be something else?

Braking is fine (no more wobble), there are no scraping noises and there is no pull to either side under braking...

Any ideas please?

I just found this:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/bl208lib.htm

So I had a look at mine and it looks like it's the same system - I stuck my finger under though and the indicator thing is definitely not touching the disc on the outer pad. Are they fitted to the inboard pads too?

the wear indicators are normally built into the pads. Years ago they used to be removable clips that go around the pad. Either way if you have replaced the pads it won't be the cause of the noise.

Does the noise change/stop if you lightly apply the brakes?

Hi Colin - thanks for the reply

It continues when the brakes are applied (light or heavy).

I'm starting to think it's nothing to do with the brakes.

Also, it seems intermittent - it was doing it very faintly at one point on my journey to work this morning, but not by the time I got there.

Last night though, it was worrying loud... ?

I might try and record it and see if it helps anybody identify it...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, sorry for the thread resurrection only I am having the same issue I believe and ive OCD when it comes to car noises so its doing my nut in!

The way I would describe the noise I get is like a whistling sound from an old fashioned kettle when it boils just wondering if you could relate to that.

I think mines coming from rear driverside and not brakes related.

Whistling noise from a kettle is not too far off what I was getting, although I haven't had it since that day? I'm starting to think it was a small trapped stone vibrating or something...

what wipers do you have? my mother had cheap floppy wipers on her car with a huge clip on them. They whistled like a kettle until I changed them? I have a set of Denso hybrid wipers on mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-19-Denso-Hybrid-Wiper-Blades-Pair-OEM-Front-Windscreen-Aero-Hook-Upgrade-/270944581144?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS%7CCars+Year%3A2004%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+I&hash=item3f158e3618

They were original equipment on the 2005 onwards IS 250/220. I just change the rubbers every year from Toyota. The frame has lasted 4 years now. No rusting.

I've got cheapo eBay flexi flat wiper blades on mine - seem to work pretty good. They're definitely not the cause of the noise though! :)

Are there two holes on your clip? My mothers had a universal type clips and there was a bigger hole at the front of the clip and the you could make them whistle by just blowing. Difficult to diagnose as the sound bounces of the windscreen an onto walls etc around you so very tricky to locate as coming from the wipers!flat_wipers.jpg

This is what they looked like. They worked perfect as wipers. The sound was not audible with windows up.

p.s I have had some high pitched squealing on my car car and twice it has been worn rear pads. and once was a sticky slide pin on front caliber.

Mine have a different clip - it's more of a solid block - there are no holes in it. They look like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLAT-Windscreen-WIPER-Blades-LEXUS-IS-200-300-99-to-05-/140353412324?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20adb71ce4

I'll have a look tonight though - see if I can make them whistle!

• 2 months later...

hello folks

i have the same problem with my is300sx 2002

i initially thought it was the driver side rear wheel bearing, so i replaced the complete hub assembly, however, the old hub was fine and the noise persists.........

today, i removed the disk and pads, the pads appeared to be binding in the disk slightly, so i cleaned everything up, copper slipped everything, took it for a spin and guess what, its still there!

for now, it looks like its the front hub/bearing, i have a 2nd hand 1 to check it with tomorrow

jon

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem with mine and only at bang on 30mph I noticed that the rear brake pad fitting kit was missing from the passenger side the spring type thing and the metal thing anyway I replaced both sides because thay come as a set and not noticed the noise since