Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tail Light Conversion

George

Maybe this could be of interest to someone ??

I´ve converted my tail lights to Japan specification Altezza. I don't know how it is in the UK or the rest of the Union but in Sweden the two rear fog-lights on the boot work only as fog-lights. In Japan these lights are used as standard rear lights / breaking lights.

I though the Japan spec looks cooler with the rear fog-lights functioning as the standard rear lights, that is 5W standard and 21 W when breaking so I converted them...Looks real nice at night.

The bulbs for the rear fog-light are 21W with different sockets than the rear light / breaklight, which are 5 W / 21 W combined bulbs. I called Lexus and ordered two new cables with sockets and bulbs for the standard rear light. Costs around 80 EURO. I removed the rear fog-light sockets from their housing. Then wired the new sockets to the 5W and 21 W circuits plus grounding. You have to do some cutting on the new sockets to match the fog-light socket housing. It worked !!

It really draws some attention at evening / night driving with four taillights shining. It adds some dynamism to the sportiness..

If there is some interest I can post a curcuit drawing I made of the conversion...

//George

Hi !

In Sweden there is no actual law that says that you have to have rear fog lights. There is only a "recommendation" that is not binding !

I know, I have checked the law books.

The traffic laws within the EU countries are country specific...so too bad for you !!

Does anyone know how it is in UK ?

//George

we have to have fogs here by law. but that doesnt mean we cannot use them for brake lights... easily modified to have either.

My import never came with foggies so I have the brake light modified and i switch on the foggies manually. Passes the MOT every time. So why not use the fogs as brake lights on a twin filament basis... ??

i think they are a touch brighter..

I wouldn't mind about that...cause the brake lights of the new BM's are really bright...

especially the ones from the new 7-series...damn they are bright as hell...and yeah...

the oint is that people will definitly see you brake.

[Edited on 26-2-2002 by Leexus]

Hi guys !

I don't want to be a know it all but this I know first hand since I've toyed with the breaklights and foglights during conversion.

First of all the the foglight intensity is the same as the break light intensit, that is 21 Watts. If you want remove the carpet inside the boot and look ar the bulbs. Or better yet check your car manual. Its there black on white. It may seem that the foglight is more intense than the breaklight when it is on constantly longer, but in ain't.

If you want to complicate (I haven't bothered) things you can actually connect the curcuit from the foglight switch via a shunt-diode to the 21W circuit and your foglights will work when you want and when not active (99,9% of the time) it will be a breaklight /rearlight. Neat huh... Why didn't Lexus think of this ?

PS The "regualar" rear light is 5 Watts.

//George

[Edited on 27-2-2002 by George]

HID rear fogs!! - you must have some serious fog in Oz :tumble:

I think you have to be wary of using combination brake/fog lights - there are regulations governing the distance between brake and fog lights, so I'm not sure a combo is legal.

Also, at least one fog light is required (in the UK) if the car was manufactured after a certain date. Dunno what that date is, but includes all Lexus for sure.

I've seen an IS200 with the fogs working as tail lights several times on the M62 heading West from Leeds on my way home - looks nice.

To Caffine Bomb:

Most Ferraris have 4 rear lights / breaklights..doubt you would discredit a 550 Maranello if you had it's 4 breaklights before you in a car queue in your face...

LEX 1 :

Enjoyed your sarcasm !

Sportiness and extra individuality apparently only suits a few !!

I had this conversion done to my car roughly 2 years ago by my lexus mechanic. So far no problem. But there is a law stating how many lights are allowed to be on at once for breaking.

Thus my lexus service manager said "if the cops pull you over, say you know nothing".

• 2 months later...

My import never came with foggies so I have the brake light modified and i switch on the foggies manually. Passes the MOT every time. So why not use the fogs as brake lights on a twin filament basis... ??

I fancy giving this a go - it would look nice using twin filaments to have the fogs as normal tail lights, too. Anyone in the UK done this?

Hi Grangey !

I can say that it looks great to have 4 lights acting as break and regular rear lights. Especially at night. I did the conversion after seeing that the Altezza was wired this way on the Toyota Japan website.

It is not intrusive or too intense for people behind just looks damn good !!

And like nobody else's IS out there !

Well almost nobody's...

If you need tips send me a U2U