Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Here Need Help To Decide If To Get Is220

Hi guys and girls

i have been thinking about getting a is220 can anyone help shed some light on what they are like for me please?

i have yet to go view a lexus since the last few dealerships i visited they have either sold them or have said they never really got them in

how are the cars to drive? and how is the mpg?

also are they reliable and what sort of common problems have you personally had to deal with?

the type of car im looking at will probably end up with around 60-80k miles hopefully

also what should i look out for when viewing the cars?

and how hard is it to find a pearl white is220 ive only seen 2 for sale in the past few months

thanks for your time people this will help alot and hopefully will be a loyal member here :)

We started our Lexus journey with the IS 200 sport in the late 90's and it was the longest lexus we had. We them moved to an IS 220 D and honestly I couldn't wait to get rid of it, we followed it by an IS 250 and I was deep in love again so I have to agree with toffee pie petrol is the way with these cars.

Have a quick look through this forum about the 220D.

There are numerous threads about problems with the EGR system, DPF system, and engines suffering total failure at about 80-100k.

The fuel consumption is pretty bad for a diesel, being not significantly different from the petrol. The manual gearbox is best avoided too.

The petrol IS250 is reliable and refined, and the automatic gearbox is one of the best available.

• Like 1

Hi guys and girls

i have been thinking about getting a is220 can anyone help shed some light on what they are like for me please?

i have yet to go view a lexus since the last few dealerships i visited they have either sold them or have said they never really got them in

how are the cars to drive? and how is the mpg?

also are they reliable and what sort of common problems have you personally had to deal with?

the type of car im looking at will probably end up with around 60-80k miles hopefully

also what should i look out for when viewing the cars?

and how hard is it to find a pearl white is220 ive only seen 2 for sale in the past few months

thanks for your time people this will help alot and hopefully will be a loyal member here :)

I'm guessing if you want a diesel car it is because you are doing a large annual mileage or at least doing regular long journeys. If you are only doing 10-12,000 mls a year I'd think again...take a look at the auto 250. Pretty much bullet proof.

The EU has legislated that diesel cars have to be cleaner ...hence all the things like DPF filter, EGR valve etc. If you are not doing decent mileage and getting that engine hot you will probably find it gets sooted up. I've read of the same things happening with Audi and BMW. If you keep on top of it all and clean the EGR regularly and probably use additives in the fuel you will reduce the incidence of problems. They do take a bit of TLC though.

I had a 220d that had the Head Gasket go in 3 months of ownership. I was lucky, Lexus stumped up for anew engine under their own warranty on that engine. I was also lucky that I returned very good mpg from that car.....anywhere from 39 around town to 54mpg on a decent run. I did a lot of work on the car during my ownership and cleaned the EGR every year. The gearing ratios are a bit odd and the gear selection is at best a bit notchy. You must have FLSH on it...you want to know everything about it too! Read as much as you can find here in this section....there is lots to look at!!

I now have the Auto 250 in Arctic Pearl...gorgeous colour, especially at night under lights. Bit of a head turner everywhere I go. Went to Southend on Sat last and parked on the esplanade. Came back to find 3 guys admiring it...or were they casing it to try and nick it really :whistling: ? That was a 330ml round trip and i averaged 38mpg using cruise control. For a V6 Auto that is pretty damned good. The auto box is sublime.

Be careful too...the manual 250 is about £470 road tax, the Auto 250 is £270. Think the 220d was around £190?

What are your reasons for looking for a 220d?

• Like 1

I own a is220d 2006 verdict gearbox is notchy go for auto @ petrol @ depends on how many miles u will b doing local mileage petrol is best lot of mileage diesel doing local miles dpf, egr can get blocked @ rear calipers do seize up just had front calipers replaced at 80k at cost of £400 ouch!!!!!!!!! road tax is £200 but if u go for 2010 £140 I get 25mpg as been using aircon normally would b 30mpg motorway 40+mpg so now it's up to mate

Is250 auto is a great car similar to the 220d but reliable, go and have a look at a few and test drive I think you will be pleasently surprised.....

Allan

Stick with Petrol 250 it's a great car. I keep seeing my old one around and it still looks great. Unfortunately I had a lot of squeaks and rattles on my 06. Also had a costly wheel alignment problem. Go for the sat nav equipped model because the dash is much better. I ended up with a newish focus. However eventually I got tired of looking at it ( and after it broke down in my drive). Now I'm running a Jag XF! I could not overcome the temptation..:-). There all sorts of little foibles though, the lexus is better built and the touch screen is better in the IS.

Go for the petrol 250. I had a 220d and like said above they have there problems, DPF filter, EGR and manual gearbox kept popping out of third. Got rid within a few weeks and got an IS250 auto. What a difference, so refined and the mpg is no worse than the diesel.

dont know why people even buy diseels, japanese don't do diesel cars (well...)

all the best japanese cars are petrol, the accord, scobys, mitsubishi, nissan gtr etc etc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links