Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox Chattering Sound 1St & 2Nd

Gtownsman

I have recently brought a IS220D when pulling away in 1st gear and then dropping the clutch to change to 2nd the gear box makes a chattering sound. I have spoken with Lexus who say it could just be a characteristic of the gearbox but they want £160 for the privilege of taking a look!

the car has done 88k so i'm not expecting miracles but it does sound nasty when pulling out of the car park at work, not the sort of noise you expect from a Lexus.

I've also heard a banging coming from the back of the car if I engage the clutch a bit to heavily, I think this might be a prop shaft joint wearing and will probably get that replaced.

I may do a video at the weekend and get it on youtube so others can hear the noise.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks in advanced for any advise.

GT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mines automatic with 106k miles and its chattering then cold in mornings, I think thats could be the oil in automatic gearbox needs changing but during my last service lexus told me its not changeable (for life oil). Still thinking need to change it anyway, not sure how hard it will be do myself?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mines automatic with 106k miles and its chattering then cold in mornings, I think thats could be the oil in automatic gearbox needs changing but during my last service lexus told me its not changeable (for life oil). Still thinking need to change it anyway, not sure how hard it will be do myself?

That is bu*****, my car was always serviced at lexus and they managed to change auto-gearbox oil twice (at 80k and 120k) - that is qute short "life-time". As per changing it yourself - it is impossible or at least impossible without proper equipment and original service "run-book". It has to be changed at certain temperature and rev's, otherwise you either overfill or underfill... I not even talking about lifting a car etc. - definitely not something you can do on your driveway.

That doesn't apply to manual thought.

Can one just drive around and get vehicle to temp then jack up the car ? Or it is important to have it at a certain temp?

Also, unless lexus UK service manual suggests changing it, I do not see much reason. If it has gone dirty then I would be very worried.

I have changed transmission oil in cars in past and it never shows any improvement regardless of the high spec oil I have used. It is for the matter for servicing.

Also there is a filter in auto box isn't it? How will one clean that? Drop the whole sump ?

Linas What special too is required ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links