Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Clunk - No.2 Intermediate Shaft

I have a 200 LS400 Mk4. I have a steering rattle that seems to be the No.2 intermediate shaft, which is the one with a universal joint on each end and goes through the bulkhead. When I push it with my hand it has noticeable play, and when I put my foot on it, the noise goes away.

I have looked at a parts book but I cannot work out how this shaft works and how it can have play in it.

Has anyone else had this issue, and can explain what the wear is?

I have a 200 LS400 Mk4. I have a steering rattle that seems to be the No.2 intermediate shaft, which is the one with a universal joint on each end and goes through the bulkhead. When I push it with my hand it has noticeable play, and when I put my foot on it, the noise goes away.

I have looked at a parts book but I cannot work out how this shaft works and how it can have play in it.

Has anyone else had this issue, and can explain what the wear is?

Can't explain it but that part you describe looks like it is part number 45209-50010

In the photo here it is part number 45209

eb3abbfd95f949a7f92756bc99fa5b35.png

The shaft in question is 45260 at the mid bottom of your diagram. It has a universal joint half way down. Just below this (where the line from 45260 points) is a cup which is the point at which the shaft passes through the bulkhead. The other end and UJ 45209 is in the engine bay. The shaft goes through a rubber mount, 45025DE at the lower left of the picture. As the end part of the shaft is between two uj's which are to all intent and purpose fixed points, I cannot see where the movement comes from?