Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I have a mint condition 98 LS400 which I have had since it had 7,000 miles on it and it has just done 50,000 miles,. Following what I can only assume was as an overzealous attempt by my wife to remove any dust around the front centre air vent assembly with a vacuum cleaner the left-right up-down adjustment sliders have been broken off from both vents.

I have removed the assembly and attempted to repair them but the lugs which clip the slider controls together have broken off completely. It would seem that the actual slider knobs are a two piece plastic assembly with a couple of springs and ball bearings inside which I assume are to apply pressure between the two parts to allow a free movement.along the vent fin when sliding left to right.

I have tried gluing the two parts together minus the springs and ball bearings but as soon as I try them one of them has just come apart again. Better glue may be the answer but I am thinking that it would be better to replace the whole vent assembly to keep things right.

Can anyone advise where I may be able to get a replacement unit, At a pinch I may be able to manage with just the two slider knob assemblys but would prefer to have the whole fin assemblies for fear of breaking the knobs when attempting to fit them to my fins and vent assembly. My framing plinth is fine and depending upon the condition of the replacement I may need to swap the vent assembly into my outer plinth in order to keep the trim match. I assume the actual vent assembly's are the same charcoal colour across all trims.

When taken apart the vent fin assemblies (the bits which look like louvre blinds that move up and dow) are a seperate item and these are the only bits I really need, in fact all i need is the cenre fin for each side which has the slider attached

I have had a look on eBay but there only seems to be ones for the earlier model which it would seem had a clock display within the assembly, mine hasnt, the assembly just has the hazard warning switch and the two vents with vent controls. Not sure what model that makes mine, just know it is a 98 version and I read somewhere that the ac vents are a different size on that model, perhaps someone would know if the actual fin assemblies are the same.

Having spent the last 9 /10 years keeping this car pristine I am as you can imagine gutted so would be appreciative of any help anyone can provide in helping me source a replacement.

I am not sure how much these differ between models so I have attached a rather poor blown up image of the assembly which pops out from the dash, on this model the clock and temperature displays are in the section below this.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

post-13760-0-10514500-1404194030_thumb.j

Hi all,

I have a mint condition 98 LS400 which I have had since it had 7,000 miles on it and it has just done 50,000 miles,. Following what I can only assume was as an overzealous attempt by my wife to remove any dust around the front centre air vent assembly with a vacuum cleaner the left-right up-down adjustment sliders have been broken off from both vents.

I have removed the assembly and attempted to repair them but the lugs which clip the slider controls together have broken off completely. It would seem that the actual slider knobs are a two piece plastic assembly with a couple of springs and ball bearings inside which I assume are to apply pressure between the two parts to allow a free movement.along the vent fin when sliding left to right.

I have tried gluing the two parts together minus the springs and ball bearings but as soon as I try them one of them has just come apart again. Better glue may be the answer but I am thinking that it would be better to replace the whole vent assembly to keep things right.

Can anyone advise where I may be able to get a replacement unit, At a pinch I may be able to manage with just the two slider knob assemblys but would prefer to have the whole fin assemblies for fear of breaking the knobs when attempting to fit them to my fins and vent assembly. My framing plinth is fine and depending upon the condition of the replacement I may need to swap the vent assembly into my outer plinth in order to keep the trim match. I assume the actual vent assembly's are the same charcoal colour across all trims.

When taken apart the vent fin assemblies (the bits which look like louvre blinds that move up and dow) are a seperate item and these are the only bits I really need, in fact all i need is the cenre fin for each side which has the slider attached

I have had a look on ebay but there only seems to be ones for the earlier model which it would seem had a clock display within the assembly, mine hasnt, the assembly just has the hazard warning switch and the two vents with vent controls. Not sure what model that makes mine, just know it is a 98 version and I read somewhere that the ac vents are a different size on that model, perhaps someone would know if the actual fin assemblies are the same.

Having spent the last 9 /10 years keeping this car pristine I am as you can imagine gutted so would be appreciative of any help anyone can provide in helping me source a replacement.

I am not sure how much these differ between models so I have attached a rather poor blown up image of the assembly which pops out from the dash, on this model the clock and temperature displays are in the section below this.

May be worth giving this guy a call, I've had two parts from a MK4 he was breaking, also a very helpful person. Kyle 07769 355594

Hi Thanks for that, probably still a bit early but will give him a call later on, do you think the version I have is going to be a mk4? I know there were some changes going on at the time, I think this version was the last one before the 430 was introduced. I can post images if that would help identification, it makes it a whole lot easier when trying to source parts ike this if I know which model it is.

Thanks again for your help, fingers crossed :-)

Hi all,

I have had a look on ebay but there only seems to be ones for the earlier model which it would seem had a clock display within the assembly, mine hasnt, the assembly just has the hazard warning switch and the two vents with vent controls. Not sure what model that makes mine, just know it is a 98 version and I read somewhere that the ac vents are a different size on that model, perhaps someone would know if the actual fin assemblies are the same.

May be worth giving this guy a call, I've had two parts from a MK4 he was breaking, also a very helpful person. Kyle 07769 355594

Hi, tried calling him but not getting an answer, did get an automated answer that sounded japanese though!! you dont have an email address for him do you?

Sorry it's okay, did eventually get through, apparently he is in Korea at the moment which explains the message :-) have got his email address and will contact him when he returns if I dont get sorted before then. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Thanks, have worked hard to keep it mint, hence why so gutted at this issue, there are worse things in life that could happen but that doesn't make it any easier. :megaangry: Guess who say's she isnt going to offer to hoover out the car anymore!!

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Malc,

I think mine is a Mk4 but have uploaded an image for clarification

lexus.jpg

Willydoit - Your car looks amazing. Your bodywork has got lots of clarity and refectivity, headlamp lense have zero clouding, you still have your original finish diamond cut alloy wheels looking shining and from the front tyre tread it looks like you have the OEM Dunlop D8z sport tyres which were made for the Mk4 LS400 (the D8z had a distinctive small tread block design). Next time you wash your car please can you post some pics for us, its great to see a mint Mk4 LS400 !

Hi Goldfinger,

Thanks for the comments, I probably should explain that that photograph was taken not long after I purchased it which would be around 2005, at that time it only had 7,000 miles on the clock. Since then I had to change the Dunlops as they had deteriorated and started cracking and couldnt find any original spec replacements, also the alloys started to corrode so they have just been painted which was a shame but still better than corroded alloys.

Other than that the only thing s that have been changed since it came out of the factory are brake pads all round and two timing belts.

As the nicer weather is here it will be due it's annual thorough spit and polish to prepare for the winter, so will post some images then, it will be interesting to see the comparison with the above photo.

Unfortunately the car has to live outside so I need to keep on top of the polishing and waxing to keep it looking its best :(

Again, thanks for the comments.

Ahhhh ... 9 years on and even I'm looking a bit older and tired ......... bet your Ls looks better than me tho............ :innocent::innocent:

• 1 year later...

Hey, willydoit, did you happen to change the air vent?
Does it work?
I have a '99 LS400 and also missing the manual adjustment parts of the central air vent :(
My LS has the sat nav option, was wondering if the central air vent unit is the same with the nav or differs?
I think the wooden part below the air vents is bigger when you dont have the navi.
I don't think I can find only the manual adjustment parts, so I consider changing the whole air vent unit.
I'm searching the eBay with no luck for this part :(
If you have found that part, would you mind telling me where to look for?
Thanks in advance!
I live in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Hey, willydoit, did you happen to change the air vent?

Does it work?

I have a '99 LS400 and also missing the manual adjustment parts of the central air vent :(

My LS has the sat nav option, was wondering if the central air vent unit is the same with the nav or differs?

I think the wooden part below the air vents is bigger when you dont have the navi.

I don't think I can find only the manual adjustment parts, so I consider changing the whole air vent unit.

I'm searching the ebay with no luck for this part :(

If you have found that part, would you mind telling me where to look for?

Thanks in advance!

I live in Sofia, Bulgaria.

Hi,

I managed to get one from someone who was breaking one on eBay, cost £55. I thnk. I did try to contact Kyle mentioned in an earlier post but he was on holiday in Korea, it may be worth trying to contact him as he did have one but I had already got sorted by the time I heard back from him.

Hope this helps.

OK, thanks!
I'll give him a call.
When you changed yours, do you have looked specifically for air vent unit from a car with sat nav?
Do you know if the air vents are really different with sat nav or are the same with the model without it?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links