Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extremely Disappointing Paint Quality

I have to say the dealers reply may not have seemed constructive to you but sounds like good advise. My other advise would be to not buy a black car if you are going to use it off road. Sorry, this is not a particularly good or I expect serious enough reply to your post but looking at the car just about sums it up.

I cannot believe any car would be any different (unless white). I am on my 4th Lexus and have never had any problems.

Not the reply you were hopping for but an honest one I think.

T cut would improve the look considerably.

I have to say the dealers reply may not have seemed constructive to you but sounds like good advise. My other advise would be to not buy a black car if you are going to use it off road. Sorry, this is not a particularly a good or I expect serious enough reply to your post but looking at the car just about sums it up.

I cannot believe any car would be any different (unless white). I am on my 4th Lexus and have never had any problems.

Not the reply you were hopping for but an honest one I think.

T cut would improve the look considerably.

Agree with the above. I have to say, I have not experienced any problems with the cars paint at all. I would say that Lexus paint is up there with the best. Some of the finishes including Sonic Titanium, Arctic Pearl and Ultrasonic Blue could rival paint on a Bentley. The paint from the factory is pristine and wet sanded completely by hand, a process which is usually only carried out on coachwork vehicles.

Firstly, Lexus paint as well as all Japanese paint is relatively soft compared to German vehicles. This may seem like an issue but when you come to think of it, it makes the paint much easier to polish and polishes with lower cut can be used compared to on German vehicles.

Also, the dealer may not have given constructive advice but how else can you expect them to respond? The damage is self inflicted, it is not an issue with the paint and I am 110% certain, although mathematically incorrect, that if you brushed an Audi/Mercedes/VW or even a Rolls Royce with very hard paint, you will get exactly the same sort of marking. Your scenario would be the equivalent of me going to the dealer after kerbing an alloy wheel and explaining that the wheels are too soft.

Now onto correcting the damage, you need some quality polish. Id recommend the Sonus hand polishing bundle. It may not completely get rid of the marks but will definitely improve them. They don't look too deep from the pictures which is always a good sign. Use the firm side of the applicator with Sonus Restore. Then use the softer side with the final finish polish.

Appreciate the responses, especially the advice on polishing.

In reply - yes, the marks are "self-inflicted" so no argument there. However, I would maintain that brushing up against the odd branch on a country lane not unreasonable and shouldn't result in such heavy marking. My previous vehicle had no such issues.

Can't agree that the Lexus paint is "up there with the best". I suspect if this was your vehicle, you might not be so sanguine. My last car, a Honda accord so also Japanese, did not look anything near as bad as this after *ten years* of driving up and down the same roads.

To give credit to the dealership, since I wrote the original post, have heard from them and been advised that polishing and if necessary a respray are possible. At least I now feel like I have a constructive way to progress and address the problem.

Cheers,

David

The hardness of a paint does not indicate quality. Its like the difference between silk and wool. Silk is considered to be the best fabric in the world by many, although it stretches and is very delicate akin to Lexus paint. The finish of the actual paint is definitely up to there with the best.

Ok now, you're talking about driving a Honda 10 years up the same road correct? Older paints on vehicles were lead based. Very hard, very durable. Wont even get swirls if you wiped it with a bath towel. Due to government regulations, newer paints do not contain lead which was the main aspect of durability and hardness. Hence, paint is now relatively soft in comparison on every car compared to 10 years ago. Additionally, the fact that the car is black doesn't help matters. Anything shows up on black, I know because I had a black RX300

Ive had my car 2 years and have accumulated nothing but minor stone chips at the front. The finish of the paint is very good with no orange peel. It has been the best paint I've had on a car and I've had a fair few including a VW and a Mercedes as well as another Lexus.

"that brushing up against the odd branch on a country lane not unreasonable and shouldn't result in such heavy marking."

Sorry but if that's your definition of a brushing up against the odd branch I'd hate to see the results of anything you'd class as significant.

'Pappa smells a rat.'

I read the original piece and looked at the pictures earlier in the day, when there was only one reply. I did not feel that those scratches were consistent with tree branches, they seemed too deep, unless of course, the branches had been cut back and were mere stumps. I am old enough to know the difference between a slap and having my cheeks scratched. :devil: To me the car was closer to the trees than we are given to believe, maybe even off the road a trifle. However, I must accept the writer's account of things.

Solution for the future, insure the car against such occurrences. I have to pay a little more but am covered for tree, keying, shopping trolley...........damage, but I sleep well at night.

Maybe a little more to this story than meets the eye, hence its removal.

Michael.

What is the self healing paint, that the IS has, may sound like a silly question I know, but to what extent does it actually heal?. Is it just minor blemishes.

Just minor things like swirls. No idea if it works though. I dont believe in these self healing paint things, every IS Ive seen at the dealer had swirls on it.

'Pappa smells a rat.'

I read the original piece and looked at the pictures earlier in the day, when there was only one reply. I did not feel that those scratches were consistent with tree branches, they seemed too deep, unless of course, the branches had been cut back and were mere stumps. I am old enough to know the difference between a slap and having my cheeks scratched. :devil: To me the car was closer to the trees than we are given to believe, maybe even off the road a trifle. However, I must accept the writer's account of things.

Solution for the future, insure the car against such occurrences. I have to pay a little more but am covered for tree, keying, shopping trolley...........damage, but I sleep well at night.

Maybe a little more to this story than meets the eye, hence its removal.

Michael.

That's interesting re the insurance "add ons" tell me more please.

"Tescos every little dink hurts"

The reason Lexus Cars maintain their Showroom Shine (provided they are cleaned & waxed correctly) is that the depth of Body Color is constant which is what all Top-end Detailers aim for.

Since I started using the The Lexus detailing 2 Bucket Wash System the cars have been swirl--free under the Garage strip-lights.

I have access to a state of the art Bmw Bodyshop who have done work for me & Lexus fit & finish is always admired.

Tel

When I bought the car it was financed through Toyota financial services. The fellow who worked it all out also did the insurance for me.

The insurance company is called Direct Line. In the mass of paperwork which I have never read, there is also a Japanese insurance company mentioned.

I pay the third party insurance annually, it is now £793. (car eighteen months old)

The rest I pay every six months:

Fire & theft £152.80

Acts of vandalism £29.00

Glass £16.42

Natural disasters £41.94

Cover for damage that I may cause £299.26

Special guarantee (whatever that is?) £2.91

Total £542.24

(I have rounded the numbers from Euros.)

It might be a lot, I do not know to be honest, but when you buy a roller you do not ask the price of petrol. I just asked to be covered for all eventualities.

Going to the original post, I think if David had - cover for damage that I may cause - for £300 per year, he would be a happy bunny, from what I can make out to remove a bad scratch on a door panel costs about £200 and there are a lot of bad scratches on his motor.

Michael.

When I bought the car it was financed through Toyota financial services. The fellow who worked it all out also did the insurance for me.

The insurance company is called Direct Line. In the mass of paperwork which I have never read, there is also a Japanese insurance company mentioned.

I pay the third party insurance annually, it is now £793. (car eighteen months old)

The rest I pay every six months:

Fire & theft £152.80

Acts of vandalism £29.00

Glass £16.42

Natural disasters £41.94

Cover for damage that I may cause £299.26

Special guarantee (whatever that is?) £2.91

Total £542.24

(I have rounded the numbers from Euros.)

It might be a lot, I do not know to be honest, but when you buy a roller you do not ask the price of petrol. I just asked to be covered for all eventualities.

Going to the original post, I think if David had - cover for damage that I may cause - for £300 per year, he would be a happy bunny, from what I can make out to remove a bad scratch on a door panel costs about £200 and there are a lot of bad scratches on his motor.

Michael.

Holy hell that is LOADS! I only paid £517 last year - 10k miles + Business use on a £40k+ valuation at the time. To be fair I do have a tracker which reduced the price by about £70.

And I have most of those perks as standard! Including key cover too!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links