Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 13 Years - Moving On From Lexus

So, having bought an IS200 new in 2001 and a 2 year old IS250 SE Auto with MM in 2008 (so now 8 years old) I have decided to trade in for a BMW 640d M Sport Coupe. Here are a few observations from my time with Lexus and re IS250 in particular (nothing new that hasn't been said before on this forum probably but thought would post anyway.)

IS250 has been ultra reliable - few squeaks from dash and rear shelf if parked in sunlight but this settles down. Had to replace one rear brake caliper but otherwise only had to replace tyres and brake discs/pads in 6 years (though only done about 21,000 miles in this time.) Car fairly heavy on tyres and brakes but much dependent on driving style. Should mention I also needed all 4 alloys refurbing also due to corrosion (around £100 per wheel). Lexus should really have sorted out this issue which I also experienced with the IS200.

Day to day, car could do with a bit more power but feels slower than it actually is as the engine is so smooth. Mark Levinson hi-fi is superb, sat nav a little frustrating as no 7 digit postcode entry and can't use it much whilst moving. Equipment levels very high and nothing has broken or stopped working.

Dealer service (Edgware Road & Tunbridge Wells) very good - pricey though.

I would have been happy to stay with Lexus but there is nothing in the range that appeals - new IS reviews are lukewarm to my mind, CT200 too small and ugly, RX and GS too big. (Though the 6 series isn't small...) Thought about new NX but maybe that's for the wife in a couple of years. Thought of waiting for the new coupe but it seems to be an M3 competitor and too expensive for what I need. Cooking version (if one is going to be sold) likely to be underpowered. So, thought I would go for a 2012 6 series - awesome low down power and sounds good for a diesel. Reasonable amount of kit as standard and not far off half list price for a 2 year old car with 23k on the clock (though no-one pays list for these - I have heard £17k discounts mentioned.) And road tax £145 pa which is amazing considering the performance - doubtless a "loophole" which will be closed soon....

I would recommend an IS250 to anyone who is considering one - go for the Auto and SE or SEL with multi media and full history and you won't go too far wrong.

Best wishes to all on the forum.

• Like 2

Hope you enjoy your new motor, I went the other way BMW to LEXUS, both good brands of vehicles but Lexus does it for me, I don't need a fast powerfull car, you can't really use all that power any more unless you go out of the uk, all the best to you Andrew, I would not be surprised to see you back to Lexus though !....

Allan

you can't really use all that power any more unless you go out of the uk,

correct, dont see the point of a M3 or GT-R in the uk what with 1 trillion speed cameras.