Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Compare Is With F30 3-Series?

i drove a manual 320d Sport Tourer and a auto 320d 3-GT before deciding on my Lexus IS-fsport.

My thoughts on BMW - I didn't get the "Ultimate driving machine" BMW feel/ride etc. Both cars had large alloy's and both were OK, but nothing special IMO. I think the IS was at least as good at handling and rode better over bumps.

Diesel engine was pretty unrefined, the auto start/stop system in the manual car was particularly clunky, the auto one was better, but noise/vibration etc at idle and at speed was quite high. Also, quite a lot of wind noise form the top of the windscreen. Performance was OK though and economy wasn't too bad. No comparison here to an IS which is whisper quiet, almost all the time and has similar performance.

The glass area of the current F30 model is very narrow and in some models, with black leather, dash, headlining all black, it is very dark inside, my wife was saying she felt claustrophobic inside the saloon/tourer. The GT model was better as you sit slightly higher, it has a higher roof line and more glass area. I think the IS has better fit and finish, a more interesting design and better materials here, especially the leather seats.

Other than that, the only other point is how poorly spec'd they are in comparison. Do a like for like spec up on the online configuration and the BMW will be 2-3k more every time. Luggage space is similar in both IS and F30 saloon's and interior space likewise.

• Like 1

As Steve said basically. I agree with all his points. Obviously this is a Lexus forum so you are going to get a little bias from us.

The F30 has very expensive options, when you look through the spec sheet and spec it up to a similiar standard, youre looking at atleast £3k more. I also feel that the Lexus is a much more stylish vehicle. The interior is better looking and the quality is better IMO. The BMW has been running on what looks like the same dashboard since 2003 and it looks downmarket in comparison.

The F30 is nowhere near as smooth as the IS in driving and its a more cushioned, softer ride. Its floaty, kind of like how Lexus used to be.

Thanks to you both. As an aside how do the engines of the 1st generation IS200 2nd IS250 and 3rd (current) IS250/300h compare in terms of the smoothness and floaty feeling you describe to each other?

My 1st generation IS200 auto still feels so

smooth and has this feeling of a hovercraft - like eating Galaxy milk chocolate slowly.

• Like 1

Thanks to you both. As an aside how do the engines of the 1st generation IS200 2nd IS250 and 3rd (current) IS250/300h compare in terms of the smoothness and floaty feeling you describe to each other?

My 1st generation IS200 auto still feels so

smooth and has this feeling of a hovercraft - like eating Galaxy milk chocolate slowly.

No idea on the IS200 as i've never driven it. Ive driven both the IS250 2nd Gen and IS250/300H 3rd gen.

The IS250's are both very smooth, silky, silky smooth! The new IS250 feels livelier, maybe because of the Sport mode and there were some changes to the transmission which helps it feel more pokey. The IS300h is also very smooth but not as smooth as the IS250, although, you will feel absolutely no gear changes, simply because the IS300h does not change gear! Honestly, you cant go wrong with either one, it just depends on what feels right for your style of driving and which is more financially viable I guess.