Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I am asking a question for a friend who as a RX300 on 04 plate, he as lost one of the plastic bolt covers on is roof bars? the question is can you buy these on there own or will it only be a breakers,?

Cheers

Don

I assume you mean the built in rails that run down the length of the roof rather than the accessory bars that go across?

The covers are available, as usual with this sort of thing excessively expensive for what is just a piece of plastic.

I also have one of the rear plastic covers missing from the roofbars on my RX400.

I have tried in the past to buy one from various sellers on eBay,but all the ones I contacted would only sell the plastic cover complete with the roof bars,which I obviously do not need.

No local scrappers have had a RX in when I have looked.

When my car was in the local Lexus dealer for a service,I asked for a price for a replacement cover.

Seem to remember that they quoted me £50 to 60 for the 1 replacement cover !!!!!!

If anybody knows where to get a replacement at a reasonable price,I would also be interested.

Cheers

there is no cheap way to get them other than become a gold member and get a parts discount from a UK Lexus dealer.

They are around $50 each in the US, add on shipping and tax you are at the same price as in the UK.

I don't recommend breakers, these covers tend to get a bit brittle with age and don't come off easily anyway so a second hand one is likely to have the internal clips damaged.

here are the codes:

63491-0E010 Front right

63492-0E010 Front left

63493-0E010 Rear right

63494-0E010 Rear left

These are the standard black ones so not suitable for the limited edition SR with silver rails.

thanks for the replies, and I think his bars are silver not sure which one is missing, I will let you all know if does get one and how much but it is looking unlikely to get them cheep

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for the rear left cover as well - thanks ColinBarber for the codes. Few days ago I requested a quote from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk and they it is the reply:

CVR.R/RACK LEG 63494-0E010 £58.95 1 £58.95

So basically £60 if within UK - otherwise an option would be eBay from here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190901529670) and probably will be less if lucky to avoid any import duty ;-)

There is another possible option.... go bald !

For about the same price as a replacement end cover you could get all four blank plates and brackets and just remove the roof rails altogether. No good of course if you use them but I know that I will never carry anything on my roof so I just took 'em off and stored them.

Can't believe how much easier it is to clean the roof and sunroof and it also gets rid of the possible corrosion issue.

I also think it looks better but that is just my personal taste, some do.... some don't.....

10498092_767274183316106_896494088232285

10506718_767274216649436_436574942971750

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

just thought I would up date you all, he finished up going to LEXUS for the part which cost him £60 just for the one and £20 to fit

£20 to fit!? It is literally a 2-second job! Unless it was more additional work in addition to putting the cover on.... In any case - glad it is all solved!

When I bought my new 55 400 h Lexus charged me £200 to remove the bars and replace with those covers.

Unnfortunately I ended up with water running down the inside channels and Lexus said it caused damage to some of the electronics.

The car was taken back after approx 3 months and swapped for brand new one a year younger 56 with better satnav etc. I was pleased!

I doubt that it was damaged by the water ( the old story of check vsc ,check hybrid etc. see other old posts), but I was plagued with water in the boot under the floor which happened again on the new 56 one. They said the reason for the 55 car leaks was 'cos Lexus didn't seal the holes with silicon and couldn't blame me as they had done it ..for £200! They sealed them up second time round!

I am not certain whether the roof plates were entirely to blame on both cars as I eventually traced another leak into the boot from the rubber grommet on the top lip under the boot door.

I siliconed that and the leak stopped.

So this is just to say watch out for leaks in the boot!

BTW, I asked the Lexus garage what happened to the 55 car and he said...they scrapped it as they couldn't find the fault.!!! £45K worth of scrap !! Wow.

BUT I found out what was wrong as it happened again on my current 56 car It was a weak 12volt Battery! I went out and bought an Optima yellow to DEEP CYCLE Battery and the problems went away for good!!! But LEXUS won't be told!

I believe Tesla had the same problem with their Model S and swapped to a deep cycle 12v Battery. Problems solved!

End of rant!!!!

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I took my Lexus RX300 to a hand car wash and one of the cleaners used the roof bar to reach on to the roof to clean it and pulled the roof bar cover off breaking the clip inside. The owner agreed to pay for it and I contacted Lexus for a price, £59.02 and then I have to drive round trip 34 miles to collect. When I asked about fitting he said it only takes a couple of seconds, Because I have no idea how it is fitted, it is a mystery how to fit. It appears to have some kind of rubber spiral cone on the bar frame that I presume slides in to the clip inside the cover because the broken part of the clip was still attached. There doesn't appear to be any other connection and I am wondering how it stays in place, perhaps another supporting clip has been broken and I can't see the damage, I don't have another one to compare. Any advice would be welcome just in case I can't get any from Lexus when I go to collect the part.

Regards

Looks like this is fairly common, I lost one of mine a couple of months back and hadn't got round to getting a price from Lexus. Have also tried various breakers on eBay with no success so looks like £60 from Lexus. I initially thought the fixing may have been damaged as I had the dealer sort out some corrosion on the brackets when I brought it but I am not so sure now and have no way to prove it if they did. Needless to say I will definitely NOT be paying £20 for fitting.

Got mine this morning and cost was £59.02, for a piece of plastic!!!!. Mind you it is absolutely easy peasy to fit. I noted that there are two small tabs at the front that go under the main bar and it comes with that strange yellow spiral pin already fitted. All you have to do is take the old one out if it is still in the bar housing, clean everything, slide the front tabs in and push the yellow stopper in to the empty housing. I reckon including removing the old yellow thing about 1 minute tops. Mind you I am a bit angry with Lexus Reading, they are the people I ordered from. They told me I couldn't order it through Toyota, who have dealerships closer to me by about 10 miles so I had to make a round trip of 40 miles. The packaging has Toyota and Lexus logo's on it and I discovered I could have ordered it through one of the Toyota dealerships, so addition cost of time mileage and petrol. The hand car wash people paid for the part but how could I charge for the petrol. Great cars though. 

Packaging will always have Toyota on it - Lexus isn't much more than a marketing department, with a few designers assigned to the division, they have to use the Toyota parts bin.

In theory Toyota dealers shouldn't be able to order parts that are only specific to a Lexus model but most will.

If you want to avoid travelling then just order via Lexus Swindon who offer online ordering and free delivery:

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk

Thank you for that information; its just a pity I wasn't offered that option when I asked Reading. When I contacted the Bracknell branch they didn't seem bothered by it. Just leaves a bad taste that's all.