Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk3 Gs300 Noisy Cam/valves On Startup ,possible Blocked Pcv Valve

PwackGS300

Hello All

I have a 2006 GS300 with 60k on the clock , when i start it i get what sounds like noisy cam/valves for about 2-3 seconds , it sounds awful ,after that it sounds like a sewing machine.

I believe it may be caused by a blocked pcv valve starving oil on startup to the vvti system , (i may be wrong ) can anyone point me to the location of the pcv valve so i can check it out.

Many thanks as allways.

Pwack

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi :)

I have a GS450h (so different engine) and have a similar issue.

When the engine is cold occasionally it get a horrible metallic rattle for 2-3 seconds.

One the engine is running it sounds fine at idle but under light acceleration I get a pinking/light knocking sound from the top of the engine which gradually disappears as the engine warms up - once warmed up its smooth as silk.

The local dealer has looked at the problem 3 times and most recently found a leaking VVTI oil pipe which was relaxed but this made no difference at all.

The car gas had this issue for 20k miles so I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm stuck with it and that it's not causing any damage.

Would be interested to see if you have better luck diagnosing your engine noise.

Cheers

Simon G

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same issue on my 06 50K GS450H and I have also heard that this little Valve/Blockage can cause this issue. Can someone point me to a guide on how to replace this or even find it on a 06 GS450H? I can get the part for about a tenner and don't mind an hour to fit it.

Not sure if the later engines have one but the series II GS300 had a little seperate oil filter for the VVTI oil feed, these weren't replaced as a service item but did eventually clog up and cause low VVTI oil pressure so may be worth finding out if this was carried over to later model engines.

Just had a look on Toyo.diy and they do apparently have these filters, there are 2 one for each bank (this is based on the GRS190R-BETQHW model)

Part number is 15678-46020 for both.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links