Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picked up a crack in the windshield on the M5 Saturday. Having it replaced Friday weather permiting. (£70) insurance excess. I asked if they fit genuine Lexus parts and was told they use Pilkington glass and this is what would be supplied by Lexus.

They knew the correct tint from the VRN but I'm still a little worried as it seems a disruptive job and a poor fit would lead to wind noise. Am I being paranoid?

Probably, if it's not right then they will just have to do the job till it is right !

You're in the capable hands of your insurer no doubt too................ :whistling:

Malc

check closely for tint colour, and distortion / waviness in the glass etc. Being Pilkington doesn't make it the same as the OEM glass, they could have different grades.

Try and leave the vehicle for longer than the fitter recommends to make sure you get a good bond.

Just make sure that rain sensor gel pad is put back onto new windscreen and in correct position or rain sensor wipers won't work..... Happened to me with my GS450h I had prior to getting my 600... Mention this prior to them replacing it

Pilkington Glass is good ... look up on the web pilkington automotive glass, they do classic special glass, all stuff up to 1950's, even for Lamborghini and rare Jaguars too ............. they can impress the Triplex logo or whatever brand the original glass had ( they own the marques i guess ).

I visited the factory the other day on the hunt for summat, very impressed, thousands of moulds for all ages, quite incredible what they do there ( in Queenborough Kent ) where I live too !!

Malc

Don't let some spotty apprentice fit your replacement screen. This is a Lexus not a Ford Ka. There's a lot more involved. When I had mine replaced I had some highly experienced middle-aged bloke do it, resulting in a brilliant fit of an OEM Lexus screen.

• Like 1

Well, Autowindscreens Cardiff arrived this morning with a screen obtained from a Lexus main dealer. Lexus logo bottom right, correct tint. All is well.

The comming weekeng storms will test for leaks. I'll give it a blast next week and test for wind noise.

Glad to hear they fitted an OEM Lexus windscreen and not some cheaper generic replacement. You have to be careful thesedays. Some insurance companies will only pay for lesser quality screens so long as they fit.

One small problem. He attached the rear view mirror too low down and the rain sensor cover does'nt reach the top of the screen and is loose. Its in for a service next month and I'll get them to fix it.

I assume the mirror is superglued to the screen and they will be able to get it off?

Well, Autowindscreens Cardiff arrived this morning with a screen obtained from a Lexus main dealer. Lexus logo bottom right, correct tint. All is well.

The comming weekeng storms will test for leaks. I'll give it a blast next week and test for wind noise.

Creaks not leaks (seriously) are the biggest problem if they don't apply the cement properly. Somebody also mention the rain sensor - mine is still a pain but have not had the time to sort it out - at least it does not fall off any more :)

Bren

I reported the mirror being too low to the glass fitters and they said I will have to have another windscreen as the mirror cannot be removed without breaking the glass. On further inspection, I now think its the rain sensor thats too low, There is a bracket glued to the screen and I'm hoping the sensor is clipped into it. I can't move it but I will call into Lexus and see if they can.

I do not want another windscreen. I'm tempted to live with it.

Does the rain sensor still work tho...... It's a pain in the arse if it doesn't if you get light rain and either have on all the time or having to constantly flick the lever on n off.... If it's not working get them to sort it ASAP

Got to say I used Cardiff branch twice with my 2 LS's and being a motor trader/mechanic they haven't got a clue there and never had used them again and travel to Coventry instead if I need main dealer help with something on a Lexus which is rare these days.

I was passing Cardif Lexus on Friday and called in to see what they thought of it. They had nobody available to help.

I called the fitters again and told them all I want is for someone to try and move the rain sensor. They said they were picking up a new screen from Lexus Cardif and would bring it with them to check against the one I have. They can try and move the sensor and if the screen cracks, fit the new one. They were supposed to phone today with a time slot. They hav'nt.

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues. Fitters arrived with a new screen ordered from Lexus using the VIN and VRN and Its exactly the same. So, not fitted. They are going to make further enquiries. I had the car serviced yesterday and asked Lexus Cheltenham to have a look at it. They were baffled as well and could not offer any explanation.

I've emailed Lexus Headquarters UK and await thier response. Lexus Cheltenham are checking as well.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links