Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am to France soon in my RX450SE-L. I've seen some old posts relating to RX300s, but am I right in thinking that I do not have to do anything other than turn of the AFS? Or is there an adjustment lever for the LED lights?

You are quite right - that is all you have to do.

See below for "official " answer from Lexus (in English and French translation in case you need it for a Gendarme.

Our ref 637848

16 September 2013

Thank you for your further email.

I can confirm that the HID (High Intensity Discharge) headlamps on the RX 350 do not need to be converted for travel on the continent.

The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which has no kick up and as such is not dazzling to drivers of oncoming cars.

As you have suggested, we would recommend that the Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting

System (I-AFS) is switched off when travelling on the continent.

Yours sincerely

Claire Newman

Customer Relations Executive

Translated by Google Translate

Notre ref 637848

16 Septembre 2013

Merci pour votre plus email.

Je peux confirmer que les HID (High Intensity Discharge) phares sur le RX 350 n'ont pas besoin d'être convertis pour les

voyages sur le continent. La mise en place du projecteur est telle que la lumière brille dans un faisceau plat horizontal qui n'a pas de coup de pied et en tant que telle n'est pas éblouissant pour les conducteurs venant en sens
inverse des voitures.

Comme vous l'avez suggéré, nous recommandons que le système frontal de l'éclairage adaptatif intelligent (I-AFS) soit éteint
lorsque vous voyagez sur le continent.

Cordialement

Claire Newman

Relations exécutif à la clientèle

Anyway the answer is yes its the same as the dipped beams are (as far as I know) HID on all models. Some of the later models also have HID as an option for the main beams but these are not relevant to the question.

I don't know that car but if it has the same combination of separate HID low beams and either HID or halogen high beams I think it would be the same. I guess you could check by watching the beams against a wall when you dipped. If they don't kick to the left when dipped then they won't need any stickies on them.

• 3 years later...

Hi I know this is like 4 years later but I just tried to get a Controle technique (French equivalent of the MOT) and it failed due to the headlights not conforming. It is a 2007 RX400h.

I have phoned the Lexus dealer (in the UK) and they are struggling to understand why the headlights do not conform. I notice there was a previous letter from Lexus explaining about the lights for a RX350 does anyone have a Lexus HQ email address that I can use to find a definitive answer?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Salt said:

Hi I know this is like 4 years later but I just tried to get a Controle technique (French equivalent of the MOT) and it failed due to the headlights not conforming. It is a 2007 RX400h.

I have phoned the Lexus dealer (in the UK) and they are struggling to understand why the headlights do not conform. I notice there was a previous letter from Lexus explaining about the lights for a RX350 does anyone have a Lexus HQ email address that I can use to find a definitive answer?

I love a good thread resurrection.  :yes:

Interested to know what circumstances cause a UK registered car to need a French mot.  

And also very interested in the outcome to your issue.

• Like 1

I moved to France and to French register my rx300 I had to buy l.h.drive headlight units (HID) as it failed controle technique even with ASF switched off. I bought them from USA and saved huge amount

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I hope you said in a very English way look here little french man  we did win the war you know .and didn’t need different headlights then when driving through your country driving out the bloody Nazis 😤

• Sad 1