Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• 3 weeks later...

Well it looks like an interesting topic judging by the replies. I didn't realise but a work mate who is also a lexus fan has bought a 450h which by the way he thinks is great. So was asking him about the MPG and he says with his driving it is mid to high thirties but he did say that on a trip down to London and back he took it steady and achieved mid forties. So yes perhaps down to driving style at times. After searching the trader to trade up to something a bit nicer than my RX300 I keep coming back to the 450h having considered Jeep Mercedes and BMW. I did enquire about a 450h and got a ridiculous part ex price on my RX of 4000 which is less the we buy any car valued at and this was from a lexus main agent. So will keep looking and hope to have news of a new purchase. Just to further add I also enquired about a really nice 450h on at 24000 and asked what he could do for a straight cash deal no PX he offered me 300 pounds off what a joke.

Neilj

Well it looks like an interesting topic judging by the replies. I didn't realise but a work mate who is also a lexus fan has bought a 450h which by the way he thinks is great. So was asking him about the MPG and he says with his driving it is mid to high thirties but he did say that on a trip down to London and back he took it steady and achieved mid forties. So yes perhaps down to driving style at times. After searching the trader to trade up to something a bit nicer than my RX300 I keep coming back to the 450h having considered Jeep Mercedes and BMW. I did enquire about a 450h and got a ridiculous part ex price on my RX of 4000 which is less the we buy any car valued at and this was from a lexus main agent. So will keep looking and hope to have news of a new purchase. Just to further add I also enquired about a really nice 450h on at 24000 and asked what he could do for a straight cash deal no PX he offered me 300 pounds off what a joke.

Neilj

They always do that. I thought I got a pretty decent deal when I part exchanged my 54 plate RX300 SE with 55k miles on the clock for £5700 two years ago. It was exactly the same as webuyanycar.com except mine had a leather rip and a botched passenger side dent repair so im sure they would have only given £4k. Somehow, the individual company I went to managed to spray the whole left side with Celestial black metallic paint when mine was Astral black! Apart from that, it was in perfect condition.

Sometimes, they price the car at the market value so cant afford to take anymore off. The value is determined by CAP who are very accurate. Before you go for a car, check the CAP valuation and itll tell you what you should be paying. Most realistic valuation around to be honest, others, including glasses and parkers arent even close. CAP use real sale values, not random made up values

on a side note - I am currently averaging 27mpg!! I do have a tendency to switch the car straight in Sport mode and floor it though :P

• 2 weeks later...

Love the colour of Mike's car too. That's the colour I want my RX400h replacement to be when the time comes.

My brother in law was complaining at the weekend that the best he gets out of his 3 year old Grand Cherokee diesel is 22mpg!

Talking of hybrids... saw not one, but two BMW i8 at the week end! Very futuristic looking and costs peanuts to run but I guess running costs are not a priority when list price is £99.5k!

You might notice that I have just posted a new topic having just purchased an RX 450h. I had looked at alternatives other makes and other 450H's but came back to the one I have finally purchased each time, I even managed to get a good discount on the screen price and ended up with an excellent deal. However I did have to travel from stoke on trent to Kirkcaldy to pick it up and drive it home yesterday which was quite a journey. So after a 4 hour 45 minute drive home at between 60 to 80 mph the mpg showed up at 35mpg. I did try to keep it in the eco band as much as possible but sometimes when overtaking etc you have to go into the power band. I am now interested to see what mpg I get with my everyday journey to work and weekend drives. The car overall though is an absolute gem really pleased.

Neilj

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 450h new 5 years ago. 28 to 32 is the best I can get around town. Sure if I drive at 55mph on a long motorway drive I get very high figures but who wants to drive like that, it feels like driving a golf cart on a motorway. Lexus fuel figure are BS. Read Honest Johns test drive in the motoring section of the Telegraph for verification. A lot of Lexus owners live with the lie because they like the drive so much. But face it, its a 3.5 litre engine, with automatic transmission, and a lot of weight to haul. Ya just won't get better that 28-32 mpg outa any 3.5 litre engine unless its in the body of a VW Golf maybe.

• 5 years later...

I have a 2012 RX450h SEL Premier ICE and when the car was threes old i used to get 31mpg in the summer and 29mpg in the winter but now at eight years old i get 26mpg in the summer and 24mpg in the winter, so this is about 50% of Lexus specified economy

On the flat in light traffic where you're not up and down due to junctions and road works, mid 30's seems about right.

I live in quite a hilly area so don't stay on the flat for long.  As it's a heavy old barge this is where you start to suffer mpg-wise.  My long term (4 year) real world average, and here I am not a heavy right clog driver, is 28mpg.  On short trips with the engine barely warm you may struggle to better low 20's unless on EV but on a journey of 10 miles or more, with some initial hill work done, I can get low 30's.  Motorway cruising at an indicated 75mph (GPS checked as a true 69mph) I can average about 32mpg.  At an indicated 65mph, that figure rises to closer to 36mpg.

The interesting thing here is how that mpg is calculated as I'm unsure if the odometer carries the same inaccuracy as the speedo...if it does, we're all achieving less than we think.  My old GS300 V6 used to average (long term) 27mpg so the RX is only very slightly better but quite a bit worse on motorway miles where I regularly acheived over 40mpg from the GS.

Comparisons with cars like the BMW X3 or X5 aren't really like for like when you consider that you're hauling around 400Kg more, so the RX isn't too bad really, all things considered.

I have a 450h, and have had up to 35mpg in town, my previous car a Mercedes clk 320 cab was doing 18 on the same journey.

Motorways I get about 32ish, I do like to make progress but am no Lewis Hamilton. Overall I think very impressive for a 2.2 ton suv with nearly 300bhp.

The long term average (I haven't had the car long) is 30.4mpg. This is my 5th Lexus and the most economical model I have owned. I once owned an RX300 series 2 and that was 16-18mpg urban and it certainly not have the performance to justify that level of mpg.

I have eco mode switched off and climate control on auto. The car is running on Bridgestone Dueler which are only rated 'E' for economy so I'm sure there is room for improvement if I tried 

Fuel consumption on a 70 mile journey, Aylesbury to Barking, A41, M25, M11, A13, the graph only shows last 30 mins

20200321_082455.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links