Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Im going to purchase an SC250

warrenpond

I need advice guys! Some dimwit wrote off my BMW three days ago and Im in need of a new car. I have just spotted a 1997 Soarer 250 for a very reasonable price and I am very intrigued. I am going to view it tommorow and I need tips on what to look out for. If anyone out there could help I would be most grateful.

Thanks!

HI Warren,

I guess you are in the UK right?

On the SC250 Not much to look out for... you will probably spot that because it is an import that it wont have a very long service history.. thats because they dont really come with one. So pretty normal.

Just keep your eye open for clean golden oil.. if really black inside the cap and not clean inside the oil filler than it probably has not been well looked after. Also the coolant resevoir needs to be clean.. these are important on an import. (not trying you to teach you how to suck eggs)

Make sure the Air Con works... this can be pricey if it is broken... but may only need re-gassing as they usually empty the gas out of imports before they ship them over.

on a 97 you wont come across anything much.. Lexus and Toyota are really sound cars. You really just need to check that it has not had any

accidents. I would also recommend spending 40 quid on a AA inspection... well worth while!

We hope to see you here again soon with your new pride and joy! SC's are a very nice car and I have been in a few!

[Edited on 28-3-2002 by Administrator]

[Edited on 28-3-2002 by Administrator]

• 1 month later...

Warren;

I could be too late to help but if your buying a 97 Soarer Turbo it will possibly be a single turbo VVTi (very nice car), nothing out of the ordinary should cause concern, check the plastic h/lamps for water ingress or discolouration (£250 a side), cracked door trims (£180 per panel), make sure the speedo conversion works correctly (presume it's UK) as some of them where well dodgy.

• 9 months later...

Well Warren, I to might be too late to add any input, however I am the extremely happy owner of a '92 Soarer TT (same, same) as the sc lexus models.

All I can say is go for it. If it happens to be the single turbo even better as the twin turbos are parallel and not sequential, so you should see a bit more power out of the large single.

As has been mentioned, the car being a '97, you shouldn't see much of any problems unless it has been poorly taken care of. And as you seem to know your way around cars, you should be more than able to spot the tell tales of poor maintenance.

Good luck and happy motoring! B)

Well Warren, I to might be too late to add any input, however I am the extremely happy owner of a '92 Soarer TT (same, same) as the sc lexus models.

All I can say is go for it. If it happens to be the single turbo even better as the twin turbos are parallel and not sequential, so you should see a bit more power out of the large single.

As has been mentioned, the car being a '97, you shouldn't see much of any problems unless it has been poorly taken care of. And as you seem to know your way around cars, you should be more than able to spot the tell tales of poor maintenance.

Good luck and happy motoring! B)

Hey Nomad!

nice to see you over "this side of the pond" too!

you liking it here on LOC buddy?

• 4 months later...

Am loving LOC! Afterall this is where I got the fix for the idle/start problem, replacing the fuel pump ecu(once again, thanks bill).

Sorry about the last post, did'nt read the date :blink: :iraqi-info-minister: :oops:

DOH!