Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here's A Weird One.....

I've had my IS for over a year now, and the EML has been on pretty much all of that time. (Yes, I'm a bad man, I know I know...) I had it reset twice and it stayed off for about two weeks (not a lot of driving was done in this time though), but eventually came back on again. I think the code was catalyst on bank one below efficiency threshold or something similar - it's quite a common one anyway.

This, plus the blue smoke on cold start ups indicated worn valve seals to most people I've talked to, including a few on here.

But then today, driving home I refuelled and accidentally put super unleaded in, something that I have never done before with my IS. After a couple of miles, the EML turned off! And stayed off for the 80 miles I was driving home for! I waited until it was cold and then started it up and drove it around for a few miles..........no blue smoke on start up, and still no EML!

Now, I'll check to see that the sodding thing hasn't just burned out just because it's been on for so long, but if not, has anyone else experienced anything similar? I usually don't bother with super unleaded but I might try it for a while if these are the kind of things that happen!

I have run mine on V Power (previously optimax) since the day i bought it 5 years ago and wouldn't use anything else. I also tend to put some cataclean and a decent fuel system cleaner through once a year when i run the fuel level low to make it more concentrated and it as smooth as anything I have ever driven.

That is pretty good stuff. I tried the Forte stuff last time and found that helped. I put 2 bottles in on a low tank and went for a drive and then filled up and it did feel a bit smoother, always worth doing especially as I only do about 5k a year, car has only done 63k so just about run in now!

The EML should illuminate when the ignition is turned on then go out once the engine is started,if it doesn't come on at all the bulb as you suggest may have blown.

Good news if the fault has been sorted by a fuel change as it is now an MOT fail for the EML not to be working as designed.

Run my is300 on cheapest unleaded available. I was under the impression that the engine computer adjusts the running of the engine to the type of fuel being used..or am i wrong??

Run my is300 on cheapest unleaded available. I was under the impression that the engine computer adjusts the running of the engine to the type of fuel being used..or am i wrong??

you are correct. Super unleaded gives you slightly more power though which is why some like to use it.