Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remapping

IS2KAY

I dont think anyone buys a IS200 for its performance. do you really want to spend say 5 grand on a turbo and uprated suspension and brakes on a 2 grand car? Just enjoy it for what it is, an ultra reliable, good looking, class car with lots of kit that wont let you down and you will love owning. Well that's how I feel anyway.

• 6 months later...

You can remap an IS200 to do just about anything you want. However, as soon as you start it up and drive it, the new map will be erased and the old parameters will reinstated. It's a self learning ECU, and you can't override it to increase power or better mpg. The ECU also limits torque to what Lexus wanted you to have.

Your options are;

1) live with it. As someone said, no one buys an IS for power or MPG. You buy it for comfort, fun, great handling, and build quality.

2) change the engine. Common swaps are 1JZ or 2JZ engines, great power can be had from both with not a lot of tinkering (a 2JZ-GTE is good for about 600bhp on stock internals and single, large, turbo conversion. 1JZ's have seen over 800hp with work)

3) Sell it an buy an IS300. N/A 2JZ engine makes about 60hp more than the IS200 as standard.

4) Boost it. A supercharger kit will give about 50-60hp gain, more if you fit a larger pulley wheel. Expect to pay £2k+ for a genuine TTE kit, but you'll be lucky to find a complete one, as they are very thin on the ground. You can build one up from parts, and you'll need to find someone to lend you their mounting cradle for you to have CAD copied (there is a guy on the FB group that has a jig made up, and rents it out for people that have cradles made), which will cost you a lot less, but involves more work finding and sourcing parts. Route 2 is turbocharging. A complete kit (available on the FB group or eBay) is just over £2k (£2100 I think) supplied only, or just under £2500 supplied and fitted. Standard 1G-FE engine can take up to 13psi on stock internals, which is about 280bhp. These kits are usually fitted and set up to make between 6 and 9 psi, so expect between 225 and 240 ish. If it was me, I'd be looking at running it at 10psi, and hoping for circa 245bhp. Doesn't need a new management system or live mapping, just an FCD will do the job of "hiding" the boost from the engine and letting the ECU do it's job.

I'm new to the Lexus world and what I have read you can't remap the standard ecu but surly you can get aftermarket an replace all the ecu ? Any thoughts guys ? Or am I dreaming ?

You certainly could. But expect it to cost a lot, and not be worth it. You're talking about a 2litre naturally aspirated engine. So whilst you might up performance by say 25 or 30bhp, possibly 40, and maybe even get a better fuel map for better MPG, is that really worth the time, money and effort involved in getting that in, up and running, and trying to get it to control all the other aspects of the car? Nearly everything on the IS is ECU controlled; from the clocks to the mirrors and windows, lights and seats. So why bother? Turbo it, and enjoy the same car as before, with around a 90-100 (or more) bhp upgrade, and everything working as it should.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links