Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lane Changing Signal

Five blinks are better than three, certainly when signaling intent in heavy motorway traffic. I read about this

dealer-only customisation in the 300h's owner's manual only after taking delivery of the car, and had been

planning to get it done with the first service. Unfortunately, it slipped my mind until the moment I picked up

the car when all the workshop staff had already gone home.

So my thanks to Dixgas for providing the link. The instructions, which are more complicated in the describing

than the doing, worked fine.

Still, it would be useful for Lexus to issue a recommendation to its dealers to advise customers of the option

prior to delivery.

Pull the turn signal switch down the lane change position (not the turn signal position) and release. The left turn signal should flash 2-4 times.

Don't quite get the meaning of "down the lane change position (not the turn signal position)?

gtb5:

I also looked at this twice when I first read it but concluded, apparently correctly, that it means "down to the position where it

does not keep on blinking", namely, where it will stop, as per the factory setting, after three blinks. If you have not already done

so, try it and see.

Pull the turn signal switch down the lane change position (not the turn signal position) and release. The left turn signal should flash 2-4 times.

Don't quite get the meaning of "down the lane change position (not the turn signal position)?

The indicator switch has two positions in each direction. A bit like a camera shutter button, light press for auto focus and the harder press to release the shutter.

The first position is the lane change position (3 flashes by default) and the second position (press harder) will permanently turn on the indicator unless you cancel it manually or via the steering wheel auto cancel.

It does take bit of getting used but I like it. Initially I was trying to cancel it and it must have looked like I couldn't make up my mind whether i wanted to turn left of right!

Many thanks, Dixgas, this worked perfectly and has greatly improved the lane change utility for me. What on earth were Lexus thinking when they decided that 3 flashes were the optimum?

Many thanks, Dixgas, this worked perfectly and has greatly improved the lane change utility for me. What on earth were Lexus thinking when they decided that 3 flashes were the optimum?

Other cars I've driven normally have 3 as the default as well. Seems more then enough to indicate and pull out on a motorway which is essentially what it is designed for. For anything longer you can just hold in place or use the full indicator and then cancel when complete.

Two seconds (3 flashes takes that or less) before pulling out is, in my view, inadequate warning to other road users. Surely the "mirror, signal, turn" sequence is not intended to be compressed into just a very few seconds.

When I did my IAM training, my instructor suggested waiting for at least 3 indicator flashes before going from "signal" to "manoeuvre" in the "mirror - signal - manoeuvre" sequence. (Actually the IAM uses Course/Mirror/Signal/Brakes/Gear/Accelerate - mnemonic "Can My Safety Be Given Away?" - as the approach to all "hazards" (everything in Roadcraft is a "hazard", including a lane change)).

I'm happy with sticking to 3 flashes. Bit I don't understand is why give this and other changes such a complex change procedure? Its not as if they couldn't add an extra option in one of the miriad of menus and options.

Well guys I changed from the default 3 flashes to 5 a week ago and belive it gives other motorists a much clearer understanding of your intentions, especially on exiting a roundabout, I found the 3 blinks had in most cases stopped before you had completed the manoeuvre.

Anybody else who as changed found it much better?.

Well guys I changed from the default 3 flashes to 5 a week ago and belive it gives other motorists a much clearer understanding of your intentions, especially on exiting a roundabout, I found the 3 blinks had in most cases stopped before you had completed the manoeuvre.

Anybody else who as changed found it much better?.

Way better and 3 blinks are useless.

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, After flicking through the forum last night I found this useful tip.

Well, today I tried it.

I got the indicator to flash after the initial setup was executed, but would it give me 5 flashes???? No it wouldn't.

I got 7, then I retried and got 1, then I retried and got 7, then again I got 4, then I tried again and got touch sensitive only.....I tried again and got 7 so left it at that for now...

Yes I tried adjusting the roller on the wiper arm, occasionally it changed the amount of flashes but normally did nothing. If I had got 5 I would have stuck with it, but no.... 7 it is.... for now ....

Anyone have any suggestions?

DC

Hi all

Tried again got the result I wanted, 5 flashes, but there was still no consistency with regards to the position of the roller on the wiper arm.

Never mind, I got what I wanted so all is good......... :)

DC

I asked my dealer to change mine from 3 flashes to 5 and I was told it couldn't be done. I then did it myself following the instructions on-line and e-mailed them to the dealer. They were every so slightly embarrassed to have a customer show them how to do it.

• Like 1

In my experience, dealers know very little about their cars...

I had to tell the guy who sold me yesterday about this same operation. When I asked about the auto windows he just said its not an option on my model, which quite frankly I think is BS..

So now I'm on a mission to prove them wrong....

Sell cars, that's their main focus, I just wish they would do some research into their products......

DC

Hi all,

great tip, now on 5 winks. I found problems after stage 6, I continued to get just 3 winks no matter where I put the rotary wheel. Then, after counting 10 after each move, on my 7th attempt, it suddenly went well, how, I do not know. I agree with most of the other comments here.

Regards.

Michael.

• 3 years later...

1. Ignition OFF, hold the wiper switch in the all the way up (OFF) position, turn ignition ON, engine not running, and continue to hold the wiper switch in the OFF position for 5 seconds or more
2. Move wiper switch down 1 position and HOLD for 5 seconds or more
3. Move the wiper switch up to OFF position and hold for 5 seconds or more
4. Move wiper switch down 1 position and hold for 5 seconds or more
5. Release the wiper switch. The right turn signal should flash 1 time

So this is part of the procedure... I can't seem to get it working,,

Point 1 - what is the wiper OFF position,? should that not be the postion that it is in by default, ? is there a need to hold it ? i thought all the way up is the manual on for turning wiper on ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links