Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing Question

Hey Everyone,

It was just a general question about servicing, I have had my IS200 for about 6 weeks now and I have just had a major service done on it (plugs, filters the usual)

It came out at £155, is this a good price? I know the guys in the garage who did knock £15 off for me but even so does this sound right?

Never had a car as "nice" as a Lexus before so was curious, it wasn't due for another 3000 miles but better safe than sorry and it sounded sweet before but its made a big difference, very smooth and quiet I guess it responds well to servicing?

Lee

That is a very good price but you might want to check the plugs they used as they will be £60 a set on their own for the NGK Iridiums! I go to a brilliant independent garage who charge £280 for a "full" service with plugs, filters, gear and diff oil as well as engine and a thorough going over of the car. Like most things in life you tend to get what you pay for (as long as you don't go to a main dealer!) so it would be a good idea to check what they actually did and what parts they used. It does sound a bit cheap to me.

But welcome to the Lexus club, best car I have ever owned for sure and I have had a few!

yea they plugs were done, they were £55 with a 15% discount as I know the guys there.

It was the first time they had seen the car so I was showing them all the Lexus service history and it has always had the best parts fitted to it so I did make sure proper parts were used (seeing as it is a lexus, if I still had my citroen xsara, would be a different story lol)

Thanks for the welcome Andy, I love the car, so smooth, quiet but sounds awesome when you press on a bit!

Seems like you have found a good garage there then. Has the cam belt been done? That's a must at that age of car. Makes you wonder how Lexus can charge £500 for a major service, what do they do that your guys didnt I wonder?

Maybe worth putting a K & N panel in there, it doesn't give too many horses but at least you wont have to pay for a new filter again. And some fuel system cleaner might be a worthwhile investment. For me I run mine on Shell V-Power, I can feel a noticeable difference and it keeps the system clean too, I know some on here don't feel its worth it, but for me I would always put the best fuel I can find in my car. The ECU adjusts to whatever you use so it will compensate for the higher octane.

good luck.

Andy,

Well there is a lexus stick under the bonnet to say it was done at 36k and the car is now on 54k but the guys did say it was due next year so maybe its the age rather than the mileage.

I haven't tried optimax yet, I have used BP ultimate up until now but will give it a try seeing as you mention it.

Its probably worth it, over a full tank it wouldn't be much difference in price anyway I would imagine?

what fuel system cleaner do you recommend? I used to use red ex in my old cars but I have heard that that's not the best stuff?

I think for cam belt it's age or mileage whichever comes first. Every 60,000 or 6 years to be safe. I have always worked the better you look after your car the better it will look after you (and your wallet overall). Sometimes cutting corners doesn't save you money in the long run!

For fuel system cleaners I either go with the BK stuff on amazon or from Quik Fit or the Forte one again on amazon. I run the fuel low and then put 2 bottles in and go for a drive to run in through, then just fill up normally. I also ran a bottle of Cataclean through it and the emissions were lower at the next MOT. I am sure some will consider it overkill or not necessary but even if it only helps a bit then to me it's worth it. Mine runs really smoothly and can hit 60 in a shade under 8 secs (probably helped by the quick shift which does speed up the 2 gear changes you need to get to 60), but if you need to get somewhere quickly the car can surprise you if you keep the revs up, but also on the motorway it's as smooth as silk at the legal limit.

I have spent nearly 2 grand so far on coil overs, roll bars, strut braces, wheel spacers the set up and the quick shift but I have a better handling, better looking more enjoyable drive than standard and my plan is to keep the car another 5 years, by which time the mkIII will be affordable, I am not a fan of the markII

I am sure you will have many years of enjoyable driving.

I use the fuel additives on a low tank, it's more concentrated and for me seems to work better, but whatever you think works.

I tend to spend a bit each year on the car so it feels a bit different all the time and more affordable! My last car was bought out of necessity after divorce and was the previous shape Civic 1.6 sport, but in 5 1/2 years it never let me down once and after adding springs, shocks and a front brace and bigger wheels it was really fun to be fair. Had 3 Audi's and 3 golf GTI's before that but the Lexus is my fav by far!

I will certainly give that a try and also the shell optimax.

Ah so the civic was a "needs must" thing then I guess? Not bad cars at all the civics, my old man has an accord and he loves it.

I had a Nissan 200sx before my citroen as well but it was costing me a bomb in insurance and fuel so I had to get rid of it after a year, I wanted one really badly so I just went and bought one, silly things you do when your younger hey!

I love my lexus too, so comfortable and quiet and everyone loves the colour too, I like the wheels on yours too in your picture I assume that's you car? lol

Still need to try and get a knocking sound sorted on mine, so annoying and it doesn't make a sound apart from that and no one can find anything wrong with it!

Morning All

I have just booked my car in for it's first service only done 8000 from new and have been quoted £250 am I right in thinking the 1st service is just a oil filter and oil change, and a general check over regards peter.

Morning All

I have just booked my car in for it's first service only done 8000 from new and have been quoted £250 am I right in thinking the 1st service is just a oil filter and oil change, and a general check over regards peter.

Hi

yes it does tend to be, but it may be different for your RX than it is for the IS. Have you gone to the main dealer?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links