Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Imbalance And Mot Failure

SpokesT

My IS200 recently failed (as usual) it's mot on front brake imbalance. Every year this happens, necessitating a strip and clean of the brakes by the same guy testing the car. I trust him, he's been doing all our vehicles for years, and he tells me he has three other IS200s on his books with the same annual issue. Anyone else have this happen? And if so what can I do to save myself £80 every year? I only do about 6k miles per year in it.

If this is just a case of the sliding pins becoming seized then you can easily check these beforehand. This shouldn't be happening every year, maybe he is using the wrong grease or too much. Possibly the dust boots are worn a let in more water than when they were new.

• Like 1

I'd say best bet is take it into your nearest kwik fit and get a brake insprction done. It's free and they will competely strip down and clean the brakes. And ask them to clean up the sliders.

Depending which one you go to they may try selling you some brakes. If they do just ask why it needs them and ask them to show you.

Hi my car is fourteen years old same mileage as yours never failed your mechanic is doing something wrong and before anyone says how do you know I've been a mechanic for forty years cars and trucks

Never even had an advisory on my 200, so it does seem a bit strange to be every year. Just because someone has done something for many years it doesn't mean they know what they are doing, just that people believe they do! Might be worth taking it somewhere else next time to compare?

Last time I asked him to show me the imbalance. He showed me while it was on the rolling road. I can't remember the figures now but it was outside the accepted tolerance. Yet there has never been any kind of pulling to one side or the other under braking.

Last time I asked him to show me the imbalance. He showed me while it was on the rolling road. I can't remember the figures now but it was outside the accepted tolerance. Yet there has never been any kind of pulling to one side or the other under braking.

I don't think people here are suggesting there isn't an imbalance, just that whatever he is doing to fix it isn't correct because it shouldn't be reoccurring every year.

They've told me that a strip and clean is all that's needed, they do it, it passes the retest, I pay em. Not ideal but not sure what else to do as it's a trustworthy place as far as I'm concerned.