Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

...by someone who knows what they are talking about....I have my eyes on a set of 19in black alloys for my ls400... The centre bore for these wheels is 74, whereas the ls standard is 60.1...I can get what is known as 'spigot rings' to make this difference up...correct?....

Also, the offset on these are 20-25 front and rear....they are deep dish....standard offset is 50....how do I address this...does it have to be addressed....they are significantly bigger and wider than standard wheels but have the same pcd and came of a lexus....would I need any furthers adaptors etc....

I have no idea of they will fit without rubbing but I can try before buying....any advice greatly appreciated....except advice that says don't on lexus aesthetic principals....advice saying don't on safety principals WILL be list ended too obviously....

My knowledge of wheel fitting etc is limited so any help etc is appreciated....I hear the big problem is clearing the front brakes at all?...gbn

You just might get some very strange handling and odd tread wearing if you change from the standard ........... they were 16" standard for a reason I guess !

What would I know ............. just that Toyota spent zillions getting the car we have today and Dunlop actually made the DZ8 ( or D8Z is it ) tyre for the Ls400 specifically too....... and 16". :whistling:

Malc

Well I know this is the advice that you may ignore!...but..I put a set of 17" on my LS400 and it ruined the ride, to the point that I put the originals back on and had them refurbed. As Malc says, they put 16" on for a reason. Anyway, it'll be interesting to know how you get on should you decide to go for it.

Using the link below put your present and proposed wheel set ups into the calculation this will then show how far the wheels with stick out and how close they will be to the suspension.

From the information you provided it would appear the wheels will be well stuck out possibly beyond the arches.

The only true way is to fit them to make sure they do then drive the car and see how it behaves.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=60&diameter=16&wheelwidth=6.5&offset=50&width2=235&aspect2=40&diameter2=19&wheelwidth2=9.5&offset2=20#content

Thanks for that man, looks like they will sit nearer to strut and stick out more...dunno how much more though....the 16s ride great but these were current in mid nineties...almost twenty years ago...I may decide to improve, to my eyes, the looks of the car...not looking to improve ride, grip,or anything, just the cosmetics....my 16s are mint and could,go back on at anytime...the wheels am looking at may he a step to far in this regard, they just appealed because they are reconditioned and have tyres on already so package deal... and they look fantastic in glossy black, which I think would set off my cars Arab racing gold paint lovely...

I agree the wheels are one of the things that date the LS400. Before I sold mine I was looking at some nice new 16" alloys that would have made all the difference to the look, but hopefully keep the same ride. I've seen a couple of photos of Steve's Celsior and the wheels he has look fab!

As ever, your car, your money, your choice.

Agreed the standard wheels are a bit numb, but 19 inch rims will need elastic band tyres, which will almost certainly ruin the ride, and will leave your wheels vulnerable on todays shockingly maintained roads.

I've smashed two alloys due to low profile tyres offering little protection against a water filled pothole, that was about seven years ago, and roads are way worse now.

I am not hundred per cent either way on this, but I did promise myself if I kept the car, I would spend the money I save on fuel,,as it won't be used so much, on making it MY ls400...will keep you guys posted on decision and post up some pics...either way!...thanks for all the advice this far, guess it's a case of suck it and see..

...I looked at the website listed and as I understand, the problem isn't actually the diameter, which is actually not that different to the 16s when one takes into account the profile of tyre, it's the fact they might stick out ....what I want to avoid is having to roll my arches or any other body mod as the cars bodywork is fantastic, and why mess with perfection!!...as some of you have said, best to try them and see for myself....won't be till end if month anyway, keep you posted...

I have got 17inch on mine 8" wide up front 9" rear with tyres of the same rolling radius as the original 16" ride still good and no rubbing,i have a set of 18" to try next so will keep you all posted.

2014-08-09-08.02.51.jpg

The 10" rear may cause you a problem. 98> have slightly more room to play with.

I'm running 18s from an SC430. Didnt ruin the ride at all, don't know what people are talking about there.

Tyre selection is so much better, I'm running 2 Pirelli P zeros and 2 Conti SportContact 3 tyres, so much grip! The standard tyres are dangerous in the wet, these give you so much more control

• Like 1

I'm running 18s from an SC430. Didnt ruin the ride at all, don't know what people are talking about there.

Tyre selection is so much better, I'm running 2 Pirelli P zeros and 2 Conti SportContact 3 tyres, so much grip! The standard tyres are dangerous in the wet, these give you so much more control

If you've still got your old 16inch wheels, I'll buy them!

George, what are you running right now for the slipping effect in the damp ? I never seem to have any issues with mine .......... maybe it's coz I drive like an old codger, only get it up to 5000 revs once or twice a day ............... and beat up poor little boy racers in their go-faster GTi's at the lights three times or so a day too !!!

Malc

I should perhaps have added 'under provocation'...dump the throttle in the wet and the wheels will spin up, dump it on a wet corner and hey hey, we have sideways....car is good as gold unless provoked, bit like poking a sleeping bear with a stick...

• Like 1

If you've still got your old 16inch wheels, I'll buy them!

I am lucky because my original wheels are immaculate which I know is unusual...but I would be keeping them if I go down the big wheel route, won't find another set like them

....do sc430 wheels fit....nice set on gumtree just need tyres

You'll need 15mm spacers up front. They will have to be the hubcentric type (around £115 per pair)

Along with this, the sc430 wheels do not have much clearance on the back of the wheel to allow the stock studs to poke through the spacer, so they will need cutting down. They fit straight on the back but will look sunken into the arch compared with the fronts and 15mm spacers, so 20-25mm spacers will bring the rear up to scratch.

I know this because I run sc430 wheels on mine

15mm spacers up front, standard on the rear:

null_zpsd96bbe27.jpg

null_zps81b84013.jpg

I fitted a set of 18" 5 spoke alloy wheels to my previous LS400. They were fitted with 245 / 45 R 18s Tyres and the ride quality remained very close to when the car was fitted with the original 16" alloy wheels.

I did have reservations about switching to non-Lexus alloys but it comes down to that thing called taste

Personally, I wouldn't want to be fitting any kind of wheel where you need spacers or other additional bits

Talked myself out of it again for now....I would ideally want a big set of wheels and a wee bit lower and it just seems like too much hassle for what is, essentially, an aesthetic whim...

I have noticed some owners have been refurbishing their original alloy wheels but going for slightly different colours - I saw a lovely black LS400 with gun-metal grey alloys and I have also seen an LS430 in blue with it's original 18" 5 spoke alloys in a chrome silver finish which looked very modern

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links