Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Low Fuel Warning Far Too Early

PWOOD

I've had mine since march and seem to always have 10l in the tank to go when I fill up. I am left sort of ignoring for a bit 20-30 miles if need be but I don't like the guess work to be honest and wanted to check if this is normal on the 2014ct. I think I read running out of fuel is a no no on a hybrid so is this precautionary on behalf of Lexus.

If you read the USA sites there's a lot of discussion on this where they estimate 100moles in the reserve. I typically get 35 litres in on refuel soon after light appears so I'd say that 10l is absolutely normal - given that's over 2 gallons then 100 miles is perfectly possible on reserve but I guess no one would push it to that although the yanks seem to do it with a can in the rear so as to compete and see how far over they can get over 500 miles on a tank

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I thought as much and if thats what you get KDS its confirmed as being normal. Still seems daft to me in a car that's all about about economy.

Recently on my way back from holiday i had a strange situation. I had quite a lot of fuel in the tank so did not bother but motorway driving coused higher consumption and at some point I saw fuel warning light. Unfo there was no petrol station for about 60 miles. When I finaly get there I filled the tank up to full with only 35 litres. After driving 60 miles with warning light on at 80mph I was rather expecting 40-42 litres.

This must be aimed at US market where such distance might matter more. It would be nice to able to choose to lower it to a more sensible amount say by dealer update at a service.

Recently on my way back from holiday i had a strange situation. I had quite a lot of fuel in the tank so did not bother but motorway driving coused higher consumption and at some point I saw fuel warning light. Unfo there was no petrol station for about 60 miles. When I finaly get there I filled the tank up to full with only 35 litres. After driving 60 miles with warning light on at 80mph I was rather expecting 40-42 litres.

That's odd I wrote have expected 40 at least.

• 3 years later...

Hello, I will ask you too a question:

there may an occasion when NO low fuel notice appear? My wife got the new CT200H MY2018, just arrived last month.

She experienced that none of the low fuel advice appear? None in the 4" display, none in any other way.

I check and infact is true: we realize we was out of fuel because the LED bar was at first LED.... so we check with board computer an we had only 10 km.!

Imagine hat happen if someone is not checking there?

In my IS300H I have several advice: when I start the engine, a message appear until I swap for another function, and I have an yellow icon of low fuel on the panel close of the indicator.

Do You, as owner of CT200H, receive the advice of low fuel? and How is is the type of message? A sound, a message?

Thank you in advance for your time.

ps. the dealer say is our fault because we changed some of the settings, but to be honest we have not change anything!

I guess then that our car has some problems.

I would like to ask one thing: do you know by chance if the detection of the low quantity of fuel is detected electronically or through a "mechanical" procedure?

3 minutes ago, Texas said:

I would imagine that it is done electronically via a 'Knock' sensor. 

Paul m.

Not sure I understand how a knock sensor could determine fuel remaining?

I would have thought the tank level sensor would trigger the warning with the range then being calculated by the OBC using the current average mpg?

Doohhhhh!!!  I was responding to the post above and mis-read ' Quantity' for 'Quality' !!!!!!

sorry, I'll get me coat and be gone soon...

But the Amount of fuel in the tank is gonna be electro-mechanically detected ie a float on a pivoted arm or rising guide bar is gonna adjust a potentiometer to report back to the gauge electrically.

paul m.

• Like 2

in each of my Mk1, 2 and Mk3 Ls400s there has always been about 100 miles left in the tank whenever the orange warning light appears ...............  Often get about 420 miles to a tank full, sometimes a 100 miles more if it's long hard motorway driving fully loaded and at 70 or so mph  ..................  she thrives on a bit of pressure

Tank holds 85.1 ltrs I believe ..............  petrol bills are ok, the money doesn't matter :yahoo:

Malc

I find there is nearly 2 gallons left when my warning light comes on,i have once gritted my teeth and got 420 miles from a tank.However i guess it is a good thing to be warned early,and of course the gauge does say reserve rather than empty.

• Like 1