Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Details, Details, Details!

Well nearly 3wks and 2.5k miles into my first Lexus ownership by way of IS300h and the thing I'm most impressed with is the little engineering details of the car I've discovered. Things that Lexus probably didnt need to do, but they did anyway. Anyone else noticed anything on their cars?

Mine are, fuel filler flap is metal not plastic, the little rubber knibs on the outer window seals which make water stream from the windscreen up and over the roof, the window motors are 2 speed and slow down at the bottom and top of the travel on all doors.

Little things..........

Well nearly 3wks and 2.5k miles into my first Lexus ownership by way of IS300h and the thing I'm most impressed with is the little engineering details of the car I've discovered. Things that Lexus probably didnt need to do, but they did anyway. Anyone else noticed anything on their cars?

Mine are, fuel filler flap is metal not plastic, the little rubber knibs on the outer window seals which make water stream from the windscreen up and over the roof, the window motors are 2 speed and slow down at the bottom and top of the travel on all doors.

Little things..........

How about the little things between the seats and centre console so things don't go down

• Like 1

Yep, saw them the other day, simple but effective!

Also, the bonnet has rubber seals all the way round, I assume to cut noise and increase aerodynamic efficiency.

For me it's things like oil consumption. I have had 4 IS's since 2007, about 5000 or 6000 miles a year and have never put a drop of oil in any of them. Had several BMW 3 series before and everyone used 1 litre in the first 1000 miles and needed topping up between services.

All the features mentioned add up to exceptional pleasure of ownership, my own favourite being the two-speed

window closing.

The only irritating design blemish, and a surprising backwards step in respect of the 250, lies in the boot-hinges,

sheathed for cosmetic purposes in unpleasantly thin and springy PVC, and with an unfortunate tendency, because

of their size and geometry, to prevent proper shutting in the presence of tall bags or a full load.

• Like 1

All the features mentioned add up to exceptional pleasure of ownership, my own favourite being the two-speed

window closing.

The only irritating design blemish, and a surprising backwards step in respect of the 250, lies in the boot-hinges,

sheathed for cosmetic purposes in unpleasantly thin and springy PVC, and with an unfortunate tendency, because

of their size and geometry, to prevent proper shutting in the presence of tall bags or a full load.

Yes, errr, well maybe need to start another thread, called "Need to try harder", or " upgrades for the facelift ". :lol:

"Need to try harder" would be presumptuous given the vision I have of entire teams of Nipponic engineers

and designers working to good purpose and in perfect harmony, but "upgrades for the facelift" (or if possible

even before the facelift) would certainly not be inappropriate for the boot-hinges.

Haha, yes, I know what you mean! I've just watched the National Geographic Mega factories episode about the LFA on Youtube and "Nipponic engineers" doesn't appear to be too far from the truth. Makes you wonder why things like the boot hinges made it to production.

• 2 months later...

2 more little things I've noticed, which are definitely in the surprise and delight category.

1. The way the car lights up the interior lights as you approach it when its dark, before you open it. And slowly dims them again as you walk away.

2. The animated graphic on the dials of the doors opening and shutting as they open/shut! Might be an FSport only one that.

You may have noticed Steve that the FSport display seems to have graphics for everything. It tells you when you move a wiper switch, etc, even though you know from the resultant action that you hit the right switch!

I do love the 'fillers' between the seat and console. I was always losing stuff, particularly my mobile, down the gap in the old one.

I agree the boot hinges are a backward step from the Mk 2. Presumably done to maintain height of boot with all those batteries underneath so not an easy one for the engineers - or ergonomists - to solve.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links