Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

54 Rx300 - Satnav Becoming Unreliable

Hello,

on the last couple of long trips,the Satnav on my 54 RX300 has started getting my position wrong. It varies from 100 yards to miles out. It is not an old maps/ new road issue. The problem is intermittent, it may play up for 5 minutes and then fix itself, or be several hours before recovering.

Searching the web I found a link which gave instructions on how to reset the satnav which was essentially pull all the wires out and leave for one minute. Before I try that, I thought I would check on the forum and see if anyone here knew what the problem was and how to fix.

The CD player packed up some years ago (Error 4 I think), so with the Satnav giving trouble perhaps it is time for a full entertainment system refresh. Does anyone know of someone in the Basildon/Southend area that can do an upgrade with a compatible system?

Thank you,

Gary

The first thing I'd check would be the connection to the GPS antenna. Attached to this post is a diagram I found.

It may just be a weak connection, or perhaps the GPS receiver is failing. If the latter is true then I doubt it will be at all difficult to source a replacement - it's very likely going to be a general off-the-shelf receiver of the type that can be found in a million other cars of that period.

You might also care to check the connection to the GPS module in the back, just remove the plug and check it isn't full of water or something.

post-37955-0-47439600-1409242286_thumb.p