Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220 D Help!

gyesy

I have just taken my car for a MOT but it failed on a headlamp, the garage went to change the bulb and said it wasn't that it was the balance unit? They said they couldn't fix it and I would have to take the car to Lexus, really don't want to do this any advice?

Thank you

Sarah

I think the garage said ballast,this is the electronic unit that supplies a high voltage to the bulb, apart from Lexus you may be better to try and source a good secondhand one from a breaker.

The garage found this problem on an MOT, did you not notice it was out before or has it failed during the test?

Here's a secondhand one from a UK company and at that price I would get it quick !

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/denso-d4s-d4r-oem-xenon-headlight-ballast-toyota-lexus-new/

There is also a fitting tutorial on Youtube.

Hi I did notice it a few times but when I switched it from auto to manual it seemed to correct it. The garage tried to change the bulb today but told me it wasn't the bulb but the ballast!

Thanks for the link, I am not running myself down but I am a female who has trouble putting oil in is I a big job to change it?

Any decent garage should be able to do it in no more than an hour, if they say longer show them the Youtube video which is around 8 minutes long :)

If you buy the unit I linked to or another one yourself and then take it to the garage with the car for them to fit should cost less than £150.00 all in.

I can see why a garage did not want to take it on to much to strip down and any small part that gets broken you will have to replace the whole headlamp and they could be responsible all for a £50 job I had my own garage for 30 years and learnt to let these type of jobs go ok if you want to have a go yourself

• 5 years later...

Hey friends, 
The ballast on Lexus RX350 2010. My mechanic said that I need to purchase a new ballast. I searched online and found the ballast on an online store at a reasonable price. I watched the video on your thread and some others too and I can replace it myself, but I am not sure about the quality of the product. Is there anyone who has ever made any purchase from them? Any help will be appreciated. Here is the product I want to buy.

https://xenons4u.co.uk/denso-koito-d4s-d4r-kdlt003-ddlt003-hid-xenon-ballast-control-unit-ecu.html

8 hours ago, dustinsteve3859 said:

Hey friends, 
The ballast on Lexus RX350 2010. My mechanic said that I need to purchase a new ballast. I searched online and found the ballast on an online store at a reasonable price. I watched the video on your thread and some others too and I can replace it myself, but I am not sure about the quality of the product. Is there anyone who has ever made any purchase from them? Any help will be appreciated. Here is the product I want to buy.

https://xenons4u.co.uk/denso-koito-d4s-d4r-kdlt003-ddlt003-hid-xenon-ballast-control-unit-ecu.html

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I’ve not used them personally but given it appears to be an established UK company and Denso are OEM Lexus parts in general I don’t see a problem. 

Certainly a lot cheaper than Lexus prices!

Are you 100% sure it is the ballast as most problems are due to the bulb?