Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is Needed To Turbo An Is200.

I'm wanting to put a turbo in my is200 sport but not liking the £2500 price tag ... I'm looking and sourcing all the parts separate as I can get a lot of bits cheaper at trade price and a very good friend (very good mechanic) that' is willing to help with the work ... Can anybody list the kind of things I will need to make this happen so I'm not shopping blind?

I don't want a different car and as I haven't long brought it I won't be selling it ... £2500 is what a garage is charging including fitting so there must be a cheaper way of doing it .... That's why I want to DIY as I'm guessing the labour on that kit isn't cheap.

All I'm after is a parts list of bits needed so I can go from there

If you can do the work yourself a MKIV Supra TT engine or a write off with good engine might be an option, it's a lot of work plus insurance might be prohibitive. Failing that use a IS300 engine (Basically a Supra N/A engine) which will give you 211bhp right out of the box, having said that it would probably would be easier and more cost effective just to buy an IS300.

As Barney confirmed it will be cheaper and more cost effective to buy an IS300 you can find lower mileage ones from £2500 which is pretty mush your budget for the Turbo kit. a supercharger offered by Lexus for the IS200 bumped up the hp to around 210-220bhp safely without changing internals i.e. cams, pistons, valves so I presume in order to turbo the stock IS200's engine using the stock internals only around 210-220 bhp could be extracted out of it to be safe.

anything more then you will need to be swapping cams, pistons, head etc as the 1G-FE engine was not designed to be a performance engine. IS300 being a tiptronic will allow one to pick and select gears if they wish so its not 100% automatic as some always think. the IS300's engine is a detuned version of the ones used in Supra twin turbo although pistons and other internal parts are not the same, its pretty much the same so they are quite good for boosting as compared to the IS200's engine.

alternatively drop the GS/LS V8 engine in there.. but if you really want a cheaper way for power upgrade from an IS200 I would say just buy an IS300..they are not quick off the mark but where they tend to come alive are the in gear accelerations in 3, 4 5 gears in M PWR mode.

Thanks guys I've had a look through both forums and I'm swaying towards the supercharger option at the moment before I look at an engine swap ... The problem with buying a new car at the mo is I've put a few quid into this is200 and don't want to pass it on too quickly ... Can anybody tell me why a supercharger cradle is more expensive than the actual supercharger?

• 7 months later...