Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sports Mode

I have started using sports and normal mode more often and have noticed slightly better mpg..

I always felt that with Eco mode, when you accelerate it would almost consume the same amount of fuel as doing that quickly with normal or sports mode..as evidence by mpg..

Would be interesting to know any other experiences or insights...

Hey Dochybrid,

I noticed the same. In the past I used Eco everywhere but didn't see any advantage. I switched to using normal mostly and sport when I need a burst to overtake or power past a boy racer!

I now only use Eco with cruise control driving down dual carriageways.

This looks best to me!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Had my car 14 months now and it's always been in ECO mode, forgot about really. Switched to Normal yesterday after reading several posts on this subject. Noticed a big differance in throttle response and I can understand how the mpg can be improved.

Only been in sport mode for a few miles. I have only done 5000 miles in that time so lots of short journeys, averaging about 48mpg.

My Ducati has Enduro, Urban, Touring and Sport mode and I am always playing with that, sport mode frightens me so mostly in touring which is 150bhp but more ABS and Tracking control than Sport mode.

When I first had my 300h, I got into the habit of routinely driving in ECO mode, reasoning that I was being

ecologically virtuous while saving myself a bit of fuel on account of the gentler acceleration response. And

since the car restarts in the mode in which it was left, I must have made many trips in ECO without noticing

the fact or, indeed, caring about it except for times when I needed to use SPORT mode.

On a whim, I decided to try driving in NORMAL for a few tankfuls in order to see if there was any difference

in overall consumption, and came to the conclusion that it was either non-existent or so small as to be

barely measurable. Certainly, it was not sufficient to make me revert to ECO and thus sacrifice the car's slightly but noticeably perkier performance in NORMAL, which is the mode I now favour except in situations

that require frequent stops and starts. When cruise control is engaged, I reckon levels of fuel consumption

to be exactly the same whatever the mode, including SPORT.

In summary, I think that the economic usefulness of ECO mode depends on one's personal ability, when

accelerating away from a stop or low speed, to dose the weight of the right foot so as not to neutralize

the benefit of the toned-down pedal response. Personally, I have not yet got the knack of it and perhaps

I never will.

OK, this is a new game, can I play. I've around 1000 miles to do this week I reckon so will do it in Normal and reset my clock at the start. I'm a leave it on ECO kind of guy too and get a metronome 55 mpg however I seem to drive it with all the motorway cruising I do.

sport mode on mine last couple of days - 39.6mpg - compared to Eco as high as 47. Might have something to do with the speed of driving at the time. :devil:

I agree with your last sentence. Nothing scientific in my experience as I can't be too bothered about it, but normal around town driving in Eco or Normal there is naff all difference in mpg but a noticable difference in engine responsiveness. Whack it into Sport and mpg plummets unless you deliberately try and drive like Grandma, which obviously defeats the object of Sport mode.

On the motorway, little difference in Normal or Sport unless you drive more aggressively. What I do notice in Sport mode is the ASC is clearly audible and whilst a pure gimmick is a bit of fun, brings a childish smile to my face anyway. It's probably a bit like the noise the new 250 delivers but with friendlier mpg!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

This is what I've been finding of the various modes :

Eco + Normal - both suffer from a bit of motor/engine lag where you press the throttle and it takes a moment to figure out that you want to Go Fast. That hesitation isn't there in Sport.

Eco - I use this in town, it tames the car down somewhat. It helps me avoid kangaroo hopping my way to a stop at lights :innocent:

Normal - is just fine for motorway cruising but there's that lack of instantaneous response when you're on a fun, undulating road.

Sport - cuts out that engine/motor lag. Sport is fun.

It's much less of an effect than in the CT. We have 650V available to the motor full time, in the CT it's something that Sport does (and full throttle in Normal/Eco). I don't think the IS needs the firming up of the steering that happens in CT Sport mode.

Agreed, and I was pleasantly surprised at how little harm its occasional but quite frequent use does to the overall mpg. Better to enjoy the car than save a few pounds over the course of a year. But there is a voice in my head saying, "why not try for 750 miles from one tank?"

The aim of 700miles (=1126km) on a single tank is realistic provided that a certain amount of self-inflicted

irritation and temporary loss of driving pleasure are not issues.

Once, and only once, I managed 979km (=608miles) with 55.9 litres (=12.3 gallons), this being the amount

of petrol consumed between a full-to-the-brim tank start and the appearance of the low-fuel warning.

Arithmetic tells me that at this rate of consumption I would have got to 1158km (=720miles) before running

dry about 10 litres (=2.2 gallons) later.

I am not planning to repeat this experience because:

(a) the effort in terms of self-discipline is frankly not worth it;

(b) I am sensitive to rude gestures from other road users who want to go faster or overtake, and

© I obviously (and shamefully) misled those same road users into thinking that the 300h is a slow car.

In other words, having come from a second-generation IS250, I proved to my own satisfaction that the

300h can be an amazingly economic car to drive. Generally speaking, I now fill up when the low-fuel

warning comes on every 870-920km (=540-570 miles) or so, with maybe 170km (=100 miles+) to spare,

and I really no longer think too much about transmission modes or the occasionally excessive weight

of my right foot.

• Like 1

600 would be good for me, 700 but a fantasy! Seems about 500ish is normal at the moment. I do mostly motorway driving though. What are others doing to get higher figures?

I'm doing well if I get 540 before range zeros. I drive in Normal 99% of the time in varying traffic conditions. Remember the F Sport with its wider tyres doesn't deliver quite the mpg some of the others do. Still knocks the spots off my 2nd Gen 250..

No, unless you have Sport+, which is a £750 optional extra to be specified at order. I've driven a couple of 450h's with it and TBH I didn't notice any difference, but perhaps I didn't push it enough. Others say it makes a bit of difference.

Hi Guys

I have an IS300h F Sport with the Adaptive Variable Suspension which includes the Sports+ setting.

When selected, this does have an effect on the suspension and firms it up (not much TBH) but provides flatter cornering and greater agility. I have to say that it still remains fairly compliant and comfortable for a sports setting. I have found that the more you push the car the better it gets!

I have practically flung it around corners and the grip and cornering speeds are pretty impressive and yet comfortable all at the same time. A very good trade off all in all.

Meh. After just over 20,000 miles, I can safely say that I think Sports mode is a waste of time. The noise is irritating, there seems to be absolutely no perceivable difference in performance, oh and the already relatively heavy steering gets slightly heavier. I'm also convinced that I feel more of a surge of acceleration in ECO mode than I do Sports.

However, I've only done about 10 miles in Normal mode. Really interested to see whether I find it any more economical, having read the above.

I'm getting 550 per tank and am averaging about 46mpg. I'm an idiot though. I really can't trust myself to keep at a fixed speed, more so during traffic when people ***** me off. I know for a fact I could be more sensible. Still.... at 45p per mile... ;)

If I mash the accel pedal through kickdown in eco mode then it does pick up well, but no perceivable difference compared to sport mode? Either something wrong with your car, or you drive in eco mode like I do in sports mode! Definite difference in accel and performance in mine.

I'd say eco makes it much easier to run in EV longer and the car holds onto longer gearing and Battery use much more than in other modes. In the last 5k miles in mine eco mode gives a small but measureable improvement in economy.

Sports mode is quicker off the mark, and with less pedal pressure, but aside from that, I didn't think there was any difference, performance wise?

Eco seems a little more sluggish off the mark, if the petrol engine is off when you floor it. Shrug. I'd say I treat Eco mode as anything but, though.

You're right. It does keep the car in EV for longer. Which reminds me... ever found a use for the EV mode button? I mean, the car will switch to EV as soon as possible, often at higher speeds than the EV button will allow. It also doesn't work in cruise control. If I turn it on before I set off, the car comes out of EV mode just as easily. Is it just me?

In other news, I had to pick something up earlier, 34 mile round trip in Normal mode. I think I prefer it to Eco. Seems a little more responsive. Can't say I kept an eye on MPG.

I'm now 2 weeks into my normal test and around 1200 miles driven. 54.7mpg and I've been pushing the boat out to 80 mph recently too :whistling: I know I'm just so reckless :innocent:

Definitely noticeably better acceleration than the previous 8000 miles in Eco so I think it will stay in Normal.

I only use Sports mode at lights to p1ss the boy racers off just because I can :devil:

Before I put my foot in it.

Do your cars have a "ECT PWR mode" switch like my IS250 F-Sport MY11 ?

Argento

No they don't. IMO ECO Mode makes the car dull and unresponsive, particularly from standstill. Normal is more than adequate for day to day driving, and Sport is for when you want to have some fun, especially if you turn the ASC up to max, and the audio right down. YMMV.