Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warped Hubs?

rufus36

13 hours ago, rincewind said:

You may want to read this  http://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

Yeah this is what I always do and by the end the car will stand on its nose. But I'm thinking I should take it easy for a bit (50-ish miles) this time as I will struggle to warranty another set of discs and pads- it'll be on me this time.

New discs and pads fitted, every single brake component checked, cleaned and lubricated. So far everything's top-notch and it feels fantastic- will report back after 1k miles or similar. 

• 3 months later...

Hi, has anyone out there got a spare L/H front wheel hub nut as my one got damaged (don't ask), I'm in the Oxfordshire area for collection if local, or will be glad to pay for part and postage if further afield, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Guys .. and a happy Bank Holiday to you all!

UPDATE FROM ME. In case it helps anyone??  for context I first posted to this thread back on the 1st October 2015 , after having gone through 3 sets of new discs and pads on the front end of my Sportscross in about 2 years, but was still having problems, then in desperation I had a big investigation done last year that threw up a problem with worn LCA's as well as faulty discs. So after getting that all fixed thought that was the end of my  problems, However please see my update below.

Since I had my LCA's replaced and other work done on my car which also included new front discs and pads almost a year ago to the day (24th August 2017), . All was good for the first 2.5k miles, then a approx 4 months ago the wobble started to return. Indistinguishable at first but gradually getting worse as time went by, even at 30mph.

I therefore last week returned the car to my local garage that done the work last year, as I wanted at least to be able to get any parts they had fitted if found to be faulty to be replaced under warranty. However it transpires after they road tested the car and then checked it out, that the wobble this time was an issue with the front discs only, FYI they had only done approx 4.5k miles since being fitted last August. 

Diagnosis was - "Serious judder on steering wheel when braking - Very Bad!" That was there own diagnosis, but exactly  the same problem as previous issue I had had before they made the repairs last year, and also before then on other occasions since owning the car which I had tried to get sorted out previously and had always been diagnosed as brake disc issues by various mechanics.

Fault Description was - "Disc run out of 0.06mm on outside face of O/S/F  disc. 0.01mm on all other faces of both front discs."

To cut a long story short they have replaced the front discs and pads, but also checked out the front suspension and LCA's to make sure there was not any other issues, and since getting the car back all is good again. 

To invoke the warranty on the parts (discs), they had to make a claim to the parts supplier which was ECP and send off the faulty discs for them to validate the claim.. Anyway 2 days later I got a call to say the claim had been accepted and a refund was made back to me.. BTW I always have OEM parts fitted to my car, most of them have been supplied by Lexus direct.

As an aside, the faulty disc according to my mechanic had a blue spot on it, i.e. a hot spot from overheating on just one spot (and as measured by the DTI) which meant the disc was warped / had a high spot in just one place causing the judder. That said they could not find any issue with the calipers, slider pins or anything else with the brake assembly or hub that would have caused this.

This link may be of use to explain it better than I can https://www.championautoparts.eu/technical/light-vehicles/brakes/technical-tips/brake-judder.html 

If I have another problem then I will post again, but if it transpires to be a brake disc issue I will probably go for Mtec Performance drilled and grooved discs rather than OEM ones. https://www.mtecbrakes.com/  - My thoughts being that having only done 115k miles approx and being on my 7th set of front discs already there must be an issue with the OEM parts.

Anyway, just posting as an FYI - not sure how helpful it is to anyone, but I definitely share your pain!!!

Best wishes 

Damo

It's a strange one this.  My IS200 has now done 140k, and I've not had any judder problem apart from very briefly when I replaced the front discs (OEM Lexus supplied) at around 80k.  Run out was excessive, so I really cleaned the disc to hub face and the problem went away, never to return.

It's like the problem I have still got the the o/s/f 'knock'.  I've never found the problem, some cars have it others never do.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

This OSF knock, does it by any chance disappear when you break gently when turning into a junction or is it there all of the time?

All the time Steve.  Changed the slide pins, shocks (on the third set), top mount, lower ball joint.  All the rest seems tight, many people including WIM have looked at it and can't find it.  Short of completely rebuilding the whole front suspension I'm at a loss.

Paul

14 minutes ago, rincewind said:

All the time Steve.  Changed the slide pins, shocks (on the third set), top mount, lower ball joint.  All the rest seems tight, many people including WIM have looked at it and can't find it.  Short of completely rebuilding the whole front suspension I'm at a loss.

Paul

Same. Not affected by braking, happens mostly when going around low speed corners that are uneven. Metal-on-metal clonking noise.

Changed calipers, sliders, discs, spindles, upper control arms, drop links, lower ball joints, ARB bushes, lower rear (bendy) control arms, shock assemblies (second-hand from a 60k car). The only thing left is the lower front control arm and the shock- though I'd be surprised that the replacement shocks have the exact same issue.

Actually took the old struts apart and found the top mount was fine and the shock absorber was in decent condition too.

So if it's not the front lower control arm bushing I'm stumped. WIM said mine was probably the shocks, hence the change- no difference.

Also, 2500-mile check-in since replacing both spindles and discs- no issues at all. Problem is completely gone. For those of you on the fence and have replaced calipers and slides and it keeps eating discs- go get a spindle assembly.

2 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Sometimes knocking can be heard just because the pads move around in the calipers

Perhaps, but then you'd notice a difference when braking compared to not braking- and mine's not affected by braking at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys...

Just thought I should check in again since my last post with an update... All good so far since the new discs and pads on the front end were fitted last month, I have done approx 1000 miles on them so far and have had no problems, i.e. steering wheel judder.

The only thing I have done any different to previously is to bed the brakes in following the advice on this site 

The advice makes sense and is not something as a process I have been told to do before, other than to take the first couple of hundred miles easy (which I always did anyway).. but I was not being told why or how to do that... It makes sense though when you read the advice in the link, I am sure many of you already know this process for bedding in new brakes, but for me it was quite a revelation.

All the best

Damo

I promised once to upload some pictures.. so here we go...

This is my Baby.. I am the same as most of you on here, we all love our babies...!!

I will keep this car on the road and with me always, regardless of owning any other car in the future... 

.20181003_134356.thumb.jpg.49cc7be58c738d990fd3f0ab73006055.jpg

20181003_134428.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/27/2018 at 12:05 PM, catnap said:

Also, 2500-mile check-in since replacing both spindles and discs- no issues at all. Problem is completely gone. For those of you on the fence and have replaced calipers and slides and it keeps eating discs- go get a spindle assembly.

Problem is back, hurray 🙄
I only really feel it at high speeds or under harsher braking. I need to pull the discs off and get the dial gauge back on to see what's going on. Sigh.

Just seen an NB MX-5 on Autotrader with 40k on the clock for £2700 🤔

• 10 months later...

Hi all, I Haven't introduced myself yet but will do so in a mo.,

I've had the dreaded steering shudder/wheel wobble problem occur after having to do an emergency stop, it started immediately after & is very annoying, as what it says to me is that you can't do an emergency stop because you'll get braking issues after!

So I've decided to change the discs asap, then see what happens.

The car is an 1998 auto with 93,000 miles on it, it's in lovely condition so I hope that new Apec discs will sort it.

Previous owner who I already knew, told me he'd put new discs on bought from europarts, they were the cheapest he could get so it was one of the things that I was going to change anyway.   

Phill

If I was you, change discs and pads (brembo from Eurocarparts) also I would fit new slider pins (Redbrain, Ebay) then all should be well, if gives a problem after a couple of thousand miles then you need to look closer.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys...  any of you still running your babies... cos I am back here again lol.. I still have and love my baby but the braking steering wheel wobble issue is back again.. Aghhhhh.. Other than that she is perfect.. and not cost me anything abnormal costs to run, other than annual service and tyres etc.. oh and fluids.. and MOT, and an exhaust back box.. other than that all good as not yet gone all electric myself .. lol.. once a petrol head always a petrol head..!!

Anyway.. I am now biting the bullet I should have done years ago and spending some money on an after market brake upgrade. As I feel the issue is excessive heat in the discs causing the prob.

So query is.. are EBC Slotted and Redstuff Pads the way to go.. has anyone any experience of EBC products.. ?? I was originally looking at brembo, but my mechanic said they have stopped using brembo due to quality problems..

Any feedback appreciated..

Thanks 

Damo

24 minutes ago, Damo2 said:

Hi Guys...  any of you still running your babies... cos I am back here again lol.. I still have and love my baby but the braking steering wheel wobble issue is back again.. Aghhhhh.. Other than that she is perfect.. and not cost me anything in abnormal costs to run, other than annual service and tyres etc.. oh and fluids taet oily stuff.. and a few MOT's, and an exhaust back box, which is expensive.. other than that all good as not yet gone all electric myself .. lol.. once a petrol head always a petrol head..!!

Anyway.. I am now biting the bullet I should have done years ago and spending some money on an after market brake upgrade. As I feel the issue is excessive heat in the discs causing the prob.

So query is.. are EBC Slotted and Redstuff Pads the way to go.. has anyone any experience of EBC products.. ?? I was originally looking at Brembo, but my mechanic said they have stopped using Brembo due to quality problems..

I have bought them anyways.. so will do a bed and then report back.. eek

24 minutes ago, Damo2 said:

Any feedback appreciated..

Thanks 

Damo

Have used the greenstuff pads in the past, downside was the cost, and found they needed a few miles to warm up before working properly, apart from that, great fast road pads. Gone back to brembo pads now, find they do the job fine. I think the red stuff would be to harsh for normal road use, and yellow definitely just for track. Can't see that the heat is warping the discs, unless you're diving it at the 24hour Lemans! Have you worked out if it's the offside or nearside disc that is the problem??

2 minutes ago, lexus22 said:

Have used the greenstuff pads in the past, downside was the cost, and found they needed a few miles to warm up before working properly, apart from that, great fast road pads. Gone back to Brembo pads now, find they do the job fine. I think the red stuff would be to harsh for normal road use, and yellow definitely just for track. Can't see that the heat is warping the discs, unless you're diving it at the 24hour Lemans! Have you worked out if it's the offside or nearside disc that is the problem??

Thanks for looking and advice... OSF / drivers side is the latest one that is the problem.. but as having owned the car for over 10years there is no rhyme or reason as to which one is the problem, as in the past faulty or problem discs has been measured on both wheels.. I will  add that this time though the slider pins were slightly rusty, and also the discs them selves showed rust spots (BTW they were brand new).. but that was maybe due to car not being really used due to lockdown??.. Prior issues though and current ones are the same..  Bloody steering wheel wobble.. currently around 40MPH and above.

Strange coincidence this, recently I had the wobble again! Bought new pair of discs, eliminated the nearside disc, problem was offside disc warped. Found nothing wrong with the sliders or caliper, I am looking for a complete used hub assembly at the moment, but only one on fleabay for £99 which is to much, is till reckon that the arms on these hubs twist somehow which causes the disc to run untrue. So upgrading brakes/calipers etc isn't something that I have considered, but who knows? Just can't believe that Lexus would make a quality car with brakes that need upgrading🤔

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys..  

So I was just passing time this evening.. and thought I would read myself a bedtime story.. as I haven't followed up on this thread for such a long time, yet I still have my Lexie.. despite all her foibles, including this one we have all had and still some contend with.

So, to catch up, I never actually had the EBC Drilled and slotted discs and the Redstuff pads I bought (mentioned in a previous post) ever fitted, although I think they were / are good value for money for the spec.. I think what happened is covid came along and then time just stopped, so i never ever booked them in for fitting..  They are (as far as I know) still living in the box they came in under my stairs..  in fact my mechanic asked me about them just recently, as I think he was also wondering what happened to them.

That said, and I do remember this..  there was yet another wheel, steering, braking wobble problem.. who knows??  other than I am sure I don't know / knew what the problem was.. But my mechanic about a year ago swapped over my OSF disc with my NSF front disc as I had complained again to him that I had steering wheel wobble under mid speed and braking and he had only 2 months earlier replaced them both for standard OEM parts following a MOT and annual service where they came up as needing attention.  He road tested the car and said it was just the discs, he swapped them over from NSF to OSF and vice versa and told me to let me know how I got on.. 

It took about 2 weeks, but the wobble settled down and eventually disappeared...  I think I have next to zero wobble now.. 

My new problem is a Power Steering Pump issue.. and guess what.. There are no suppliers for spare parts here in the UK I need and Lexus have discontinued any supply chain or support for Lexus IS300 Sportcross parts for the UK..

I am looking at Japan and US for IS300 parts now..  unless they are a generic /Toyota part or after market.

Hey Ho.. I am still going keep the old girl on the road if I can..  but stupid quotes for old / used OEM salvaged parts and importing overseas parts may stop me.. As so far I have always used OEM parts for the old girl..

Hi, there is a chap in Birmingham who just breaks Lexus is models, give him a call on 07866104047, name is Ricky, I've dealt with him and recommend 👍