Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warped Hubs?

rufus36

Spin the hub by hand, this will confirm that the bearing is okay or not. When I look back at the amount of grief and money this caused me, and wife telling me to "sell the bloody thing", it's satisfying to have finally cracked it!

Popped into the garage who does my work for me on the car. Gave the suspension a once over using a long bar as a lever to locate any play in any of the bushes. Only play anywhere is NSF top wishbone balljoint, but according to my mechanic/mot tester it is only enough for an advisory on the mot. So i'm going to change that. After that f*ck knows!!!!

MY NAME IS MIKE AND I (CURRENTLY) HATE MY LEXUS!!!!! lol

I think if you have the skills you can somehow get the balljoint out of the arm, they are certainly available on eBay. Personally i will be fitting a good used complete arm from a reliable source. If this doesn't work i am out of ideas!!

So interesting this topic......I gave mine to lexus who said they think it's tyres, they said there's nothing wrong with the car and the best they've seen :-). It's funny as I changed my wheels and tyres from front to back as I had a wobble "noise" but no wobble and now the backs are on the front the wheel wobbles but now have no noise, maybe lexus are right!!?? very strange.

I did suspect a hub before they had it!

Just had a new pair of rear tyres fitted as its MOT time in 2 weeks and i had had my monies worth out of them!!

I got the front wheels rebalanced and put on the back and the new tyres put on the front and if anything its worse lol

No Doubt she'll pass Mike! Mines got its MOT in 3 weeks............

Lexus said they don't recommend the tyres that are on my car ''Not the right tread Patten'', iv never heard that before!

Well it depends what tread pattern your tyres have! The tread pattern on my Vreds are wavy, not vertical as is the norm, thus are annoyingly noisey and not very good on fuel but give masses of grip.

Well i can confirm the having now replaced the NSF upper suspension wishbone there has been no improvement whatsoever.

However i can now tick off one more thing thats its and the annoying graunching noise has gone away.

I reckon one of my 2 recon replacement calipers must be a bit crap and is dragging on the disc resulting in a warped disc, i cant imagine what else it can be.

Are the WIM suspension settings available anywhere online, i can't justify a 400 mile round trip to get the geometry set up!!!

You'll have to keeps us posted if you find the problem, I'm going to try disc skimming next to see if that stops the judder.

I went up to WIM couple months ago, nice guys. One thing though Tony doesn't work there, he works from home they told me but having said that the guys know there stuff. You can buy the settings off them for £15.

I'd say the car felt a it more planted after having it done.

I'm going to take mine into the garage that fitted my new brakes 500 miles back. See if they can diagnose. Get them to do a run out check on both sides aswell. Hopefully they might find something. They didn't believe me that Id gone through so many discs with each of them warping so quickly

I can 'feel' it on the NSF when I brake plus I hit a large pothole on that corner after which these symptoms have started.

I will however get the garage who fitted the last set of brakes to do a run out check and inspection as they might feel slightly responsible.

I have a hub ready to go on if they confirm its NSF.

QUESTION: The NSF disc looks like it has evenly worn (the side I suspect) but the drivers side looks like the pad is not making 100% contact. Could this indicate my diagnosis of NSF is actually wrong and the OSF is wearing incorrectly?

I would have thought that if the OSF brake was not working properly then the car would not brake in a straight line. The garage checked my brakes on the rolling road, the same way as they check brakes when doing an MOT, it passed that okay so brakes were not the problem. I assume your garage would be able to do this simple brake check as well, this will show if both sides are braking evenly. Apparently, the setting up of the equipment to do a disc tolerance run out check, takes a while to do, which I guess is something that a garage will not freely do. They checked mine in the end (because I complained) and the NSF was miles out, with a new hub fitted!

To be honest i woudn't mess about, get the NSF assembly changed and put a new disc on that side only and see if that sorts it.

Ok

With regards to the replacement used hub.....what are the signs of a bad bearing?

The used hub I have to go on, spins evenly without any play whatsoever. It does seem to be quite tight however. For instance if I try to spin it, it will only spin for half a turn. Is this correct?

I checked my runout with one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003W4SFSK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

£18 and spot on for useability. And it takes 5 minutes per disc. Mine were outside of tolerance (0.05mm is the max if I remember), measured 1cm in from the outer edge of the disc. It's amazing what a difference an apparently small amout of corrosion on the hub surface can make. After cleaning mine up they were back within tolerance.

If there is no "clicking" noises when spinning it, then cant see there being a problem, as soon as the weight of the wheel is on the bearing it will spin easier.

The only thing that would stop the brakes making contact would be if the sliding pins are corroded/stuck in the carrier..assumed your garage would have checked these though..