Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warning – Scraping Frost From Privacy Glass

PaulWhitt20

Last winter I managed to scratch the privacy glass on the back window whilst scraping frost from the car, even though I use the rubber end of the ice scraper. The scratch is a few inches long and can be seen in the rear view mirror when sunny.

As we will soon be in the frost season, I thought I would warn people to take care when clearing frost not to damage the privacy glass. I thought it would have been tinted from inside but apparently not. Check there is no grit on the wiper blades or ice scraper before using.

• Like 2

The scratch is a few inches long and can be seen in the rear view mirror when sunny.

I thought it would have been tinted from inside but apparently not. Check there is no grit on the wiper blades or ice scraper before using.

Not sure if tint has anything to do, as every window can be scratched. On previous car I accidentally scratched windscreen with sand grain stuck under wiper. I have never heard or seen tint film on the outside of the widow. As far as I know factory tinted windows have coloured glass, not a layer of tint on any of the sides (unless done by dealership, but then it is not factory).

Using rubber for scraping is not the best idea. Window is never clean, there is always some dirt on in under ice and rubber catches small grit and sand bits and scratches the glass. In Scandinavia most popular ice scrapers have copper edge. I'm using one of them for years, haven't caused any scratch up to now.

what you have said makes sense to me now,

why the windows look dark from the outside but are easy to see through from the inside

That has nothing to do with the side tint has been fitted ;)

I agree I have never heard of a factory tint being scratched as they are usually a film layer between the laminates. Its only when you go aftermarket that they are applied externally, but on the inside no the outside.

• 4 weeks later...

Excuse my mistake - it is actually brass not copper (language issues ;)) Windscreen is never perfectly clean, there are always some sand / grit bits on it under ice, so when you are scraping some of those bits get caught under soft plastic or rubber edge of scraper and as you apply pressure you may scratch the glass. As brass edge is solid (but still "softer" then glass) dirt is removed with ice, it does not stick to the edge of scraper. Take a look at the edge of used plastic scraper - after time it is damaged, has small dents etc. My brass scraper is probably 6 years old, edge is in perfect condition, like new. Although I have seen some reports online that it did scratch the windscreen anyway, I think it is very unlikely event and neither me nor my friends have experienced this.

The company making them is called Murska, from Finland. There are probably some fake ones available nowadays as well. Have seen them on eBay - just search for Murska ice scraper.

Other thing is that using brass scraper is so much faster :) Clip obviously comes from eBay Seller, but it is nice comparison of plastic vs brass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSyhaZkWo4

Just want to make clear - I do not sell them, I do not make them, the clip was gooogled, the above opinion is based on my personal experience ;)

• 2 weeks later...

There are several scratches on the inside of the tinted rear window of my LS430 which I didn't notice when I bought the car four months ago. I guess that someone has placed some sharp-edged objects on the rear shelf on several occasions - the scratches are random in position and length. They're certainly on the inside, not the outside nor within the laminations. Any advice on how to deal with them would be welcome. They're not obstructive but zthey're certainly an aesthetic issue once you notice them.

Factory tinted glass is tinted by pigment in the glass, not a coating (inside or out). It is not susceptible to scratches any more or any less than non-privacy tint glass, however it may show up the scratches due to it's darker colour.

Just noticed I have another scratch on the rear side window. Probably when removing condensation with the rubber scrapper. What do others use to get rid of condensation from side windows on cold mornings?

I use a silicon blade - it's available from Halfords is about 30cm wide and is really soft- does the job you are asking and can be used to remove excess water from off glass and bodywork after washing the car before finally drying it.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

You shouldn't be scratching glass with a rubber blade. Either there was contamination on the blade (grit, sand, small stone) or you're actually looking at a deposit scuff (as in a rubber mark) not a scratch. Or you're just doing it very, very wrong...

This time of year I get condensation on all my glass, and use the same rubber edged scraper/squeegee I've used for the past 7 or 8 years with no marks, scratches of otherwise.

If it's frost, just use hot tap water. Before all the "hot water will break frozen glass" comments come in - no it won't. Try not to be too stupid and use boiling water from the kettle, but hot water (even steaming hot) from the tap will not damage glass, especially when poured from the top downwards (as in to say, you pour slightly above the glass, onto the metal, letting it run down the glass, defrosting as it goes. The water will be more or less cold by the time it reaches the bottom of the glass/door panels/bonnet/boot anyway)

I agree using warm water seemed to work best last year, as it says in the manual.

For condensation the rubber blade is what I use, but on reflection keeping it in the passenger footwell may let small piece of grit collect on the blade and perhaps it is this that is doing the damage.

You can also feel the difference between the front windows with the water repellant coating to the rear with the privacy glass.

Of course you can scratch glass with a diamond ring. On a windscreen you can scratch it with a non-diamond (i.e. just plain silver, titanium or gold) ring too. Laminated glass scratches more easily than toughened glass, and I've changed countless screens thanks to scuffs made by contamination on the wipers (and from wipers that are just worn down), and many fir scratches on the inside too. I've even changed door glass' that have been scratched by dogs claws

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reopening an old thread but a reminder this time of year will be useful.

The scratches on the privacy glass have just cost me £500 at trade in.

Thanks for the heads up. I mostly use cold water to defrost my windscreen/windows, but will bear this in mind.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sorry for reopening an old thread but a reminder this time of year will be useful.

The scratches on the privacy glass have just cost me £500 at trade in.

Thanks for the heads up. I mostly use cold water to defrost my windscreen/windows, but will bear this in mind.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

i am with tracy on this one about using cold water to defrost your car,its the safest way to defrost

remember cold water is still warmer than ice so it will do the job well just have your wipers going

at the fastest setting to remove as much water as possible.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links