Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry, Turned To The Dark Side

• 2 weeks later...

the jag is going great Tony, the power and comfort is sublime. I have devoured plenty of bmw's which easily fail to keep up or try to accelerate away from me, it really is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

now, the only complaint I have is honestly the IS300 is nicer to drive, not more comfortable wise just sharper, probably because its not 1870kg lol

Also The stereo, a so called top of the range alpine with DSP zones and separate sub woofer is not a patch on the lexus's Mark Levinson stereo, the bass in the lexus is so tight compared to the boom sound in the STR, but since I prefer the sound of the V8 and supercharger its not a great loss.

I still regularly drive the IS300 and I am glad that I do because the difference between a £50,000 and a £27,000 car I dont think is that much different i.e the IS300 punches above its wait easily

But the jag has it really, but the IS300 I will never get rid of because it can tow the STR home when it breaks down haha

• Like 2

Hi thanks for reply I started a thread a little while back about comparing the IS to other cars and I have found that the IS can hold its own against much more expensive and newer cars .

The power of the R jags is very nice but when you take the overall package the Lexus IS 200/300 is surprisingly close in my opinion and like you the IS is staying as my wife absolutely loves it and if she's happy everyone is happy.

• 1 year later...

I run a gs300 which being a lot heavier than the is is a bit slower on the uptake than the is300, I have had the is 200 & ls400. I also currently also have a mk3 Toyota supra turbo, Lexus es300 (Toyota camry) which although front wheel drive is slightly lighter than the gs and faster on acceleration and 3 celica's ( a cab, a superstrut st202 and a T-sport) in my stable of cars. You just have to love the reliability of these cars compared with other makes (although must admit have recently blown the head gasket on the T-sport). And although I think the jag R is in a different league to the other s types I think I would rather opt for the reliability of a gs430, which I am thinking of upgrading to next, anybody know of a supercharging kit for these lol!

• 2 weeks later...

hi BRZ, like all cars the jag will be as reliable as most other cars if properly maintained. I have had the jag just over a year and it has had 1 full service that cost £300. On the other hand my IS300 just cost me £750 in a service, mot and new radiator. But its just the luck of the draw sometimes.

I will say again though that if you had the Lexus IS300 with a ZF 8 speed and type r v8 engine it would be the perfect car, beauty, pace and grace haha

How about the Lexus GS420 vvti v8, the is300 engine comes direct from the GS and is plug and play, so therefore so should be the v8. Conversion kits are around to marry the BMW 6 speed box to this engine, hey presto.

Incidently I have been watching a GS420 v8 combo on eBay, it's been on a few times in recent weeks (local), coming down in price each time. I saw it relisted for a mere £200 last night, jumped and bit the bullet and pressed buy now :msn-oh:, contacted the guy today, it's low milage and can have the complete running car (minus a few bits and bobs) for the buy it now price plus delivery fuel. BARGAIN.

Now maybe a is300 sportcross to put it in lol!

Oh and the Jag looks very well!

Isn't the IS300 engine straight from the GS300 ???, anyway its a 2JZ-GE that was in the N/A supra so is a bloody good engine. Tuning potential is very good, I have always liked Lexus, but I think the IS200/300 is one of the best looking sedan car shapes ever, it really is a looker